Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Single ticket for all public transport?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

paulm17781 wrote: »
    We've had a terrible system for as long as most people can remember. No one enforces reasonable targets (within 10 minutes is on time here). If our Government actually tried to improve our transport, we could easily have a system as effective as that in other cities. The problem is it is left as a mess and unfortunately, people here seem to just accept it.

When I worked there I gave out whenever my tram was a couple of minutes late. I look back and weep now that my DART is on average over 5 minutes late every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

While I see where Hyde Road is coming from,I have to step back from the Bus Atha Cliath vs The World scenario as portrayed.

There are many problems inherent in the "Integration" of several differing systems,something which the RPA appeared to believe was easy-peasy.

I would be sceptical of the RPA having arrived at an "agreed" Ticketing Regieme as the collapse of their own tendering process proved that as far as a valid process went they had Nothing!

Bus Atha Cliath with it`s 1,000+ vehicles and 145 Million passenger journeys already had a clear set of requirements and a clearer idea than most of what could and could`nt work.
    It`s also worth noting that when Bus Atha Cliath "Went ahead and instituted a completely different system" it did so with the full and complete aquiscence of the Dept of Transport and the Cabinet and also the RPA itself !!

What Hyde Road may not be totally familiar with is the TOTAL politicization of what should have been a straightforward Business strategy.
    There is NO area of the "Integrated Ticketing" fiasco that has not been fully vetted by a series of high ranking Political types,none of whom have any REAL idea of how modern day Bus commuting could be improved at relatively little cost.

The RPA for example has a somewhat old-fashioned notion of how to devise,implement and market fare structures.
    Just look at the complex and expensive structures introduced with Luas....who was the genius behind that..on second thoughts don`t bother to answer cos it will doubtless have been a Committee...:confused:

The entire thing is easily solved by STRONG decisive action and by enforcing compromise where that is necessary for the GREATER GOOD...not a concept embraced by our administrators !! :)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭HydeRoad

Aha, but what we have in practice are a whole lot of individual operators, agencies and committees all scrabbling to protect their own patch AT ALL COSTS.

How are we ever going to have agreements like integrated ticketing, user friendly fare structures, integrated transport networks, when we have situations where Iarnrod Eireann are at loggerheads with the RPA over access to the valuable and strategic belt of land at Broadstone, or where the state operator wishes to exclude a large percentage of the transport network, vis-a-vis the private sector, from being part of anything?

The RPA efforts were already doomed to failure, but whatever the prospects of those early approaches, the fact is that Dublin Bus DID NOT wish to integrate with certain sectors of the industry where it suited their own personal agendas. I am not blaming Dublin Bus for the failure of the scheme, just making an example of how without the co-operation of EVERYONE in an open minded manner, there can be no progress.

Too many people, too many agencies, all with different agendas, and all pulling against each other, while the basic premise of it all is lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 dymonaz

Whoever said that this topic brings out a lot of anger was right. I wanted to say something, but what's the point? I'll just stick to my 20 minutes on LUAS and 30 minutes on foot just because there's NO other option, apart from enjoying the pleasures of sitting in a car for the same amount of time.

Advertisement