Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firefox 3 RC1

Options
  • 17-05-2008 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭

The first release candidate for Firefox 3 is out. This is pretty much the finished product at this stage. I've been using Firefox 3 since it entered beta and couldn't be happier, its leagues ahead of IE 7, things like the password management and spellchecking support are things I don't know how I lived without before.

Give it a shot. Although you might find some of your addons haven't been updated to support it yet.

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all-beta.html

EDIT: Forgot to add some details on whats different in this release

Full changelist here: http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/3.0rc1/releasenotes/#whatsnew
    Improved Performance

* Speed: improvements to our JavaScript engine as well as profile guided optimizations have resulted in continued improvements in performance. Compared to Firefox 2, web applications like Google Mail and Zoho Office run twice as fast in Firefox 3, and the popular SunSpider test from Apple shows improvements over previous releases.
    * Memory usage: Several new technologies work together to reduce the amount of memory used by Firefox 3 over a web browsing session. Memory cycles are broken and collected by an automated cycle collector, a new memory allocator reduces fragmentation, hundreds of leaks have been fixed, and caching strategies have been tuned.
    * Reliability: A user's bookmarks, history, cookies, and preferences are now stored in a transactionally secure database format which will prevent data loss even if their system crashes.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Been happy with the beta too. I'll try this next week.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Been very happy with the beta. Never had any problems with it. I started having javascript problems with ff2 (taking ages to load a page) and that's why I tried out the beta. It made a huge difference.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I've been using FF3 since beta3. The speed and memory usage improvements are great.
    I'm quite liking the "Awesome Bar" too but I don't like the new download manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

if you're already using a beta you should be able to automatically do an update from "help>check for updates"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭NotMe

Nice.. hope it doesn't break too many addons.

*edit* all working except Stumbleupon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,939 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

i was going to follow the link but if you look under the help tab of FFb it is already downloading the RC1 candidate.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Wasn't actually mental about the beta myself. I'll give this a lash though.

Still....Navigator 3 Gold......what a browser, eh? Who's with me?

edit: I'm actually downloading the linux version of netscape 3 right now just to see how it holds up. :D edit: The linux version wouldn't work, but the windows one works through wine. Doesn't support CSS, which is a real pity. It's still the fastest browser I've ever used. :) Some really nice features in it given how old it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,939 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

have it now. no sudden changes to report anyway. gmail does seem just a touch faster though from 3.5b and a lot faster than 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Khannie wrote: »
    Still....Navigator 3 Gold......what a browser, eh? Who's with me?
    Actually, I still use it occasionally for web development for two reasons:

you can check for hidden accessibility links
    you can drag multiple pics into it in a single move and navigate back through them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,416 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Ya i upgraded from the beta to rc1 today, no noticeable changes between the 2, but it's def. better than ff2...

If you don't mind me asking, why did you give it a thumbs down l31mr0d?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

He gave it a thumbs up. What skin are you using?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

I'm using the black theme and im seeing a red thumbs down :(

Black theme fails.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

Sherifu wrote: »
    Black theme fails.
    yes, my zune theme is also a big fail...
    no more dark firefox :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Meh, I'll see how the nightly builds are later in the week.

He gave it a thumbs up. What skin are you using?

BIE. It's a red thumbs down..

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

This ones working great for me, had to hack stumbled upon toolbar and greasemonkey to use them on the build but no biggie and they work fine :):D

Nick

Sherifu wrote: »
    Black theme fails.
    dulpit wrote: »
    BIE. It's a red thumbs down..

It's a problem with the skin. The images probably have the wrong names. CuLT should be able to fix it, I started a thread in bug reports about it.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=55972265#post55972265

It's a problem with the skin. The images probably have the wrong names. CuLT should be able to fix it, I started a thread in bug reports about it.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=55972265#post55972265
    Good man...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭BKtje

Will give it a go. Still no 64bit version though that i can see :(
    Damn you adobe and your 32bit flash!

Edit: apparently there is one but very buggy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭smackyB

Yeh Aero fox black theme doesn't work but the guy's gonna fix it.. Also realplayer plugin which allows u to download flash doesn't work which is very disappointing.. but otherwise i'd recommend it...

• Moderators Posts: 12,369 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

It was touch and go for a while there, til stumbleupon was compatible. Now als good again! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

beta 6 had a few rough edges but RC1 is excellent.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

joePC wrote: »
    beta 6 had a few rough edges but RC1 is excellent.

Because it didnt exist? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

I really like FF3. The important plugins I use work so it's all good.

jmccrohan wrote: »
    Because it didnt exist? :p
    That could explain it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭38141

firefox 3 rc1 seems to have trouble with the following page

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/thread.jspa?messageID=14152218&tstart=0#14152218

locks up every few seconds. Think it might be the video on right

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Seems fine to me, no lock ups.

Same here, no problem with that page.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

That page also displays fine for me on RC1, you try clearing the cache?

Nick

Advertisement