Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lisbon Treaty Vote!

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭blue shimmering

There's plenty of debate on the treaty on Boards without turning this thread into another political argument. At least we can all emigrate again.
    Where will we emigrate to? At least the last time there was a potential recession we could go to the USA and so on...now where? I also agree that Brian Cowen wasn't very clever when he said he didn't read it and obviously unless there was a tribunal ---Oh not another one, how would we know if he did or didn't? He obviously has a lot to learn, I think Mary Coughlan couldn't answer some of the questions put to her and also answered them incorrectly which didn't help!

Wonder if there was another referendum would people vote the same way, or differently?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Where will we emigrate to? At least the last time there was a potential recession we could go to the USA and so on...now where? I also agree that Brian Cowen wasn't very clever when he said he didn't read it and obviously unless there was a tribunal ---Oh not another one, how would we know if he did or didn't? He obviously has a lot to learn, I think Mary Coughlan couldn't answer some of the questions put to her and also answered them incorrectly which didn't help!

Wonder if there was another referendum would people vote the same way, or differently?

I hear there's a lot happening in poland now.
    Posted via Mobile Device

I hear there's a lot happening in poland now.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    It's lovely for a holiday but don't know about living there, I would wonder why there is so many Polish coming here if their country has improved so much? Just a question, not being critical, I think the Polish people are lovely and very genuine and to a certain extent they have a lot of culture very similiar to ours!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Mehh

So if we have another referendum, which looks like our only hope of getting out of this mess, are many of the folks that voted no gona change their minds?

Cos if they don't we're boned !

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Vinegar Hill

Mehh wrote: »
    So if we have another referendum, which looks like our only hope of getting out of this mess, are many of the folks that voted no gona change their minds?

Cos if they don't we're boned !

That is your opinion and you are entitled to it. I do not share that opinion as do most of the people who voted in Ireland on this referendum. The opinion of the these people should be respected and the result honoured.

How about in the next General Election if FF gets elected and we don't like the result we demand a new election? They should be looking for a way to fix the treaty and present it again. They should not just be saying "Do it again we did not like the result".

It was Cowens duty to do just that when he went to Brussels. He showed where his loyalties are and they were not with the Irish :(

• Advertisement

That is your opinion and you are entitled to it. I do not share that opinion as do most of the people who voted in Ireland on this referendum. The opinion of the these people should be respected and the result honoured.

How about in the next General Election if FF gets elected and we don't like the result we demand a new election? They should be looking for a way to fix the treaty and present it again. They should not just be saying "Do it again we did not like the result".

It was Cowens duty to do just that when he went to Brussels. He showed where his loyalties are and they were not with the Irish :(
    I agree with you but think there will be another vote and it will probably be along the lines of 'do we want to be in the EU or not'! I think if they can find a way of getting around the vote without coming back to us they will do it, not on - but I think the referendum was only put to us because they thought we would vote 'yes'! I personally did not see anyone at my door from either the 'yes' or 'no' camps prior to the vote and wonder why? If we as people are expected to vote on something we MUST know what we are voting on and the pros and cons of our decision - I think the 'yes' side especially did not do their job properly so what exactly did they expect?

I would not like us to be out of the EU but do think we have been sold out with regards to our fisheries, how can it be right that foreign boats have enormous quotas compared to us who live here? I wariness about this treaty is mainly that we are selling out more of ourselves and also that our voice will be a lot less heard than it is at the moment!

As for voting if there is another referendum, I will wait first of all to see what it is about but WILL NOT BE BULLIED by any one into voting 'yes' or indeed 'no' without knowing all the facts about what I am signing away with my vote!

Advertisement