Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hardware Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

Google Windirstat and install it and you will find out ;)

Pagefile.sys is 16gb and something called hiberfil.sys takes up another 12gb

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

ZeroThreat wrote: »

You can delete the hiberfil, its a store of your current session when you hibernate the laptop(close the lid).

I'd also reduce the size of the page file, 8GB should be plenty. Just google how to do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

ZeroThreat wrote: »
    http://www.overclock.net/t/1156654/seans-windows-7-install-optimization-guide-for-ssds-hdds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

Have watched it 3 times, probably cuz of the tune....and to see if he was gonna change his clothes.....but theirs a computer and speakers in the background there so it's totally relevant to the Forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

That room reminds me of this:

prAGUE039.jpg

Took this years ago at the police museum in Prague, it was a mock up of a murder scene..reminds me of it for some reason.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Do not follow that guide. Most of the things are overkill and some are just plain wrong! It's fine though if you want to see instructions on how to do any particular if you know that's what you want to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Monotype wrote: »
    Do not follow that guide. Most of the things are overkill and some are just plain wrong! It's fine though if you want to see instructions on how to do any particular if you know that's what you want to do.

Now you tell me!?

I'll put it in my signature so...

It's getting annoying at this stage how much interest these stupid guides are getting. It's more to do with that some of the things they suggest decrease the usability and overall system performance, but not necessarily SSD performance as you described.

I might make a guide on it but it would be pretty sparse as Windows 7 does most of the work for you... still maybe people should be told this.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I'll put it in my signature so...

It's getting annoying at this stage how much interest these stupid guides are getting. It's more to do with that some of the things they suggest decrease the usability and overall system performance, but not necessarily SSD performance as you described.

I might make a guide on it but it would be pretty sparse as Windows 7 does most of the work for you... still maybe people should be told this.

Put it in the stickies, do eeeeet :p

I'm not a mod! The plan originally was to put a few guides together and get them stickied in the one thread. If anyone else wants to contribute to a few more, they are more than welcome. Or even expand the ones there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭thewheel2.0

I'm not a mod! The plan originally was to put a few guides together and get them stickied in the one thread. If anyone else wants to contribute to a few more, they are more than welcome. Or even expand the ones there.
    The stickies could do with updating. There should be a sticky for everything hardwareversand - payment, ordering, shipping, expected arrival times and showing where the "get it built for you option is". And maybe a low, medium and high end build but they would have to be updated often.

Also for complete newcomers like me there should be pointers like "you may have to bend the PCI bracket back to let the card plug in all the way" that info is hard to find.

The stickies could do with updating. There should be a sticky for everything hardwareversand - payment, ordering, shipping, expected arrival times and showing where the "get it built for you option is". And maybe a low, medium and high end build but they would have to be updated often.

Also for complete newcomers like me there should be pointers like "you may have to bend the PCI bracket back to let the card plug in all the way" that info is hard to find.

I know, I completely agree. If you would like to do one about hardwareversand, it would be much appreciated by many. Post anything you like in the Building 101 thread linked several times in my signature.

Best to keep builds separate. There's a budget gaming PC thread which often would have the latest recommended builds. It's not really something that you can put in a sticky and it needs constant attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,043 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Can I get thoughts on this please, good or bad?

h1KWH.png

What's your motherboard?

A bit low on the sequential read speed especially- is it connected to a SATA 6Gbps port and did you enable AHCI in the BIOS?

For reference, here's a 64GB M4 on an AMD system (without being careful about stuff running in the background):

214376.png

yes its in the 6Gbps port and AHCI is enabled

try another sata drive for the craic, got much better results

eMIl9.png

Wow.
    The M4 takes a big smelly poo all over my SSD... :(

I thought you'd fixed it up a bit?

Taking a look around, the Force 3 doesn't get great results in AS SSD - the Force GT does get reasonable results, so I must assume that that it's because of the asynchronous NAND. The force 3 should do well in other circumstances with compressible data. You would probably notice little difference between using the two drives in reality.

Still, you should be very careful when selecting drives not to outright believe what manufacturers are quoting as speeds, because in comparison the Crucial M4 seemed considerably worse, especially before the big firmware update.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

First GHZ edition card I've seen.

Sapphire HD7970 Vapor-X GHZ 3072MB

It has a pre-order price of £399.99 (not bad?) but won't be available until the 10th of August.

I thought you'd fixed it up a bit?

It boots properly but still getting the same speeds in AS SSD.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

Lads, i may be in the position to upgrade from my 2500K to a 3570K for about €25.

ill be going water when funds permit, and im wondering if it'll be worth my while.

thing is, my current 2500K is good for 4.8Ghz, and ill be playing the silicon lottery on the 3570K. I plan to get as good an OC as it can handle under water without the crazy temp wall.

how high should I be able to get under water, and would it be worth my while? the price isnt a problem. just strictly, will the OC on the 3570K be any better than my 2500K (at 4.8ghz)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Clock for clock it's a better processor and will out-bench the 2500k

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2012/05/01/intel-core-i5-3570k-cpu-review/6

On a decent water cooled setup, You could probably hit for 5.4Ghz if you've a good chip?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

Clock for clock it's a better processor and will out-bench the 2500k

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2012/05/01/intel-core-i5-3570k-cpu-review/6

On a decent water cooled setup, You could probably hit for 5.4Ghz if you've a good chip?
    i assume you mean 4.5Ghz, which is what i expect too. would a 4.5 3570K not be a bit slower than a 4.8 2500K?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    i assume you mean 4.5Ghz, which is what i expect too. would a 4.5 3570K not be a bit slower than a 4.8 2500K?

I'd say they'd be about the same from what I've seen. A 4.8 3570k is better than a 4.8 2500k, but it would be hotter too.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I would just stay with your solid 4.8 2500k.

Like you said, it's going to be a silicon lottery again and who knows if it's going to be good one.
    Then keep in mind that ivy just has that wall, which it hits and no matter what cooling you will do temperatures will just go to lialia land.

Good old trusty 2500k ftw.

P.s. 5.4ghz out of ivy? It's a typo m8?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Tea_Bag wrote: »

Nope, I meant in the region of 5.4 if you've got a good chip and are able to keep temps under control with really good water cooling, in terms of pushing it for benchmarking (if you're that way inclined). I wouldn't run it daily at that though. You should certainly hit 4.8-5.0 no problems for daily use. People are easily getting 4.8+ on air.

I'm well aware the voltage scaling isn't linear so you've to pump a lot more in to get gains once you start hitting 4.9+, which means a lot more heat. With very good water cooling you could manage though

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Ryan451

Hey guys, I received my GTX 670 Windforce today and to top off my build I'm going to buy a Corsair 600t. Personally, I don't see much point in buying this case unless I get a modular power supply.

I'm ordering the case from Hardwareversand and was just looking for recommendations on the best modular power supply to buy at around €80 to €90 but can stretch a tad if needed. I was thinking maybe 650W?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

A GTX 670 can run easily on a 550 watt with lots of headroom.

This
    looks good

Advertisement