Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hardware Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Leman

Thanks, I had totally forgotten about MemoryC, despite having used them a lot in the past! Free shipping too, which is very nice. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭M00lers

There is also a 5% discount code for memoryc.ie in the Bargain Alerts thread on the top of this forum.

There is also a 5% discount code for memoryc.ie in the Bargain Alerts thread on the top of this forum.

I know, because I posted it there ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

Ive been trying to find a straight answer online, but cant find it. can anyone tell me which RAM config has better performance?

DDR3 1333mhz CL7 ram or 1600mhz CL9?

FWIW, im looking at 8gb of 2x4gb sticks. so, tighter timing, or higher frequency?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

A lot of the time it's practically the same RAM and you can change the settings in the BIOS anyway. The difference is negligible but there's also the other timings to consider. I wouldn't worry about it and just buy whichever one is cheaper or the one that you like the look of better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭M00lers

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    Ive been trying to find a straight answer online, but cant find it. can anyone tell me which RAM config has better performance?

FWIW, im looking at 8gb of 2x4gb sticks. so, tighter timing, or higher frequency?

Have a read here and here. Not sure if it will help but worth a read anyway.

For real life applications, it really does not matter, just buy the cheaper ram.

Timings vs Freq only matter for Enthusiast MenchBarker. :pac:

The higher speed is handy for overclocking with AMD but irrelevant in 1155 overclocks.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

No idea if this is just hype, but it looks promising:
    http://vr-zone.com/articles/purported-amd-bulldozer-benchmarks-leaked/12914.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

Having done a bit of reading into the two main LGA 1155 Motherboards P67 and Z68. It seems as though Z68 is just a slight advancement of P67. So what I was just hoping for is a small discussion of the two boards and which is the better one to get for the "average" user, based on the cost/feature difference of the two. After all this is a Hardware Discussion Thread :D

So for a few details, both the P67 and Z68 boards are for use with Intels LGA 1155 socket.
    They are both great for overclocking the unlocked series processors.

The main difference between these boards is, the Z68 has Smart Response Technology(SRT) and has the ability to use the Integrated Graphics chip of the CPU.
    SRT really for any kind of gaming or high end build has no use, since a 64GB SSD is more than enough to keep a Windows 7 install along with all applications and maybe a game or two. And with that, in a low/mid/budget build the cost of a 32GB/40GB drive is probably over budget, so even though it's a very cool technology for a average user it has no use, so I'm going to ignore SRT in my evaluation of the two boards.

The ability to use the Integrated Graphics Chip of the CPU along with your Discrete Graphics Card through the use of Lucid Virtu software. What Lucid Virtu trys to achieve is, it will set the CPU's integrated GPU as the default GPU for your system and once there is a need for the discrete GPU(i.e. you start a game) it will switch all graphics rendering to the discrete card. If this worked correctly it would be great as things like video encoding will be done on the CPU's integrated GPU which is very good for that type of work and the discrete GPU will do all the gaming stuff.
    Assuming it's a perfect world and Lucid Virtu does it's job perfectly this technology won't benefit the average user much since not many people encode videos very often so just using the discrete graphics card will be perfectly fine for most people. Now I have read in a few different places that Lucid Virtu isn't exactly perfect yet(although they are improving it) and for some applications/games it will reduce performance.

So I'm thinking for the extra cost of a Z68 board it's not really worth buying. And now for a disclaimer :) None of this is concrete, I could be very easily be wrong about most of what I just said, so I was hoping for input/opinions from the experts on what they think about the two.

Sorry for the long post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

You mention about the Integrated graphics being used as the primary, presumably that would mean a lower power usage when not playing games/ hd videos?

I found it strange that when the z68 boards were first released there was only 1 or 2 asus and a whole raft of gigabyte boards, yet none of the gigabyte boards had any video outs :confused: Kind of pointless paying for a board when one of its main selling points is not useable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

Fluffy88 wrote: »
    So I'm thinking for the extra cost of a Z68 board it's not really worth buying. And now for a disclaimer None of this is concrete, I could be very easily be wrong about most of what I just said, so I was hoping for input/opinions from the experts on what they think about the two.

I have to say, for the extra €20 (I'm using the following as a comparison between ASRock z68 and p67 Extreme4 MBs as an example)....

http://www3.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=46921&agid=1601
    152,99 €
    http://www3.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=43134&agid=1601
    131,57 €

...I think it's worth it. 64GB sounds a lot, but it's amazing how many programs will store data on your C drive by default. Yup, it _is_ possible to move this around, but ironically I think those who would find it hardest to do that are non-expert users. I'm using a z68 motherboard with a 64GB SSD as cache and loving it, so I'd recommend the extra €20 to be honest.

P.

oceanclub wrote: »
    I have to say, for the extra €20 (I'm using the following as a comparison between ASRock z68 and p67 Extreme4 MBs as an example)....

http://www3.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=46921&agid=1601
    152,99 €
    http://www3.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=43134&agid=1601
    131,57 €

...I think it's worth it. 64GB sounds a lot, but it's amazing how many programs will store data on your C drive by default. Yup, it _is_ possible to move this around, but ironically I think those who would find it hardest to do that are non-expert users. I'm using a z68 motherboard with a 64GB SSD as cache and loving it, so I'd recommend the extra €20 to be honest.

P.
    are you using the SSD as boot or SRT ocean?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

are you using the SSD as boot or SRT ocean?

Nope, as cache; I'm caching a single hard disk on which both my C (boot) partition and my games partition are on.

If anyone is curious, here's my machine booting up, then launching various programs I've put into startup like Windows Live Mail, Skype, Tweetdeck, and (I think) one or two others:

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

Burgo wrote: »
    You mention about the Integrated graphics being used as the primary, presumably that would mean a lower power usage when not playing games/ hd videos?

I found it strange that when the z68 boards were first released there was only 1 or 2 asus and a whole raft of gigabyte boards, yet none of the gigabyte boards had any video outs confused.gif Kind of pointless paying for a board when one of its main selling points is not useable.
    It seems Z68 doesn't need to actually provide the two new technologies, so those boards probably don't even support Lucid Virtu.

And doing a bit more reading, it doesn't even seem to cut power consumption for certain things, like on idle Lucid seems to increase power draw. (based on this article). Although there might be improvements in the software since that article making Lucid a little better.

oceanclub wrote: »
    I have to say, for the extra €20
    ...I think it's worth it.P.
    I kind of have dismissed SRT as not being any use to me personally as I have no issue keeping my computer clean. But I guess for less tech wise people SRT would be a handy thing to have as they will get impressive speeds without the problem of keeping things organised but using an SSD as the boot drive does have slightly better speeds.

I typed a long reply to the SRT thing a few days ago but my phone browser decided to delete everything instead of post it when I went to post reply. I was so annoyed I didn't bother retyping. if you have a large SSD (ahem in the future or if your loaded can do it now) but adding to futureproofness all the same, you could use a workaround that some guys came up with, to use a small portion of the SSD as a cache for your HDD while maintaining a majority for a boot drive. win win situation really. only problem was that the SSD had to be tricked into a RAID config so it lost its TRIM support, something that should get remedied in the future with either good garbage disposal at FW level or TRIM support for RAID config.

in other news, and the reason I'm postings now, Gigabyte just updated their p67 and z68 BIOS to support 22nm architecture. good reason to get one of their boards then instead of a competitors. personally, I didn't get 1 because I think they did a half arsed job with their 'touch BIOS' but if you can look passed that, future proofed to take ivy bridge lines is a nice bonus and something I hope other guys are able to do, particularly Asrock :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-graphics-card,2964-7.html This might be helpful for anyone looking for comparative cards, and who got confused by ati's latest naming :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Baza210 wrote: »
    its getting mixed receptions. most people say its a bit of a downgrade from the previous U2410 due to a change in IPS technology, but dont take my word for it, i dont know much about IPS stuff.

will have to wait for some reviews..

LG have a cheap IPS around too. Better than TN but not up to high quality IPS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

Just noticed this RAM kit from G-Skill. 1600MHz CL7 @ 1.35v!!! The fact that they run at 1.35, means there is a lot of headroom for overclocking and they alread have very tight timings for 1600Mhz. Not even sure if the times are right or if it's a typo. Has anybody got them?

there must be some typo in there somewhere. serious bit of kit if not.

on a different topic entirely, anyone able to recommend me a good cheap wireless multimedia keyboard with a built in mouse (ball or touchpad) for my HTPC? new or second hand. its annoying having a wired keyboard and mouse.

there must be some typo in there somewhere. serious bit of kit if not.

on a different topic entirely, anyone able to recommend me a good cheap wireless multimedia keyboard with a built in mouse (ball or touchpad) for my HTPC? new or second hand. its annoying having a wired keyboard and mouse.
    A quick run through Amazon:
    This looks Suitable :pac:

Built In Trackpad

Built in TrackBALL

Since you say it's for a HTPC, how about a Remote shaped thing?

Leman wrote: »

thanks! have you any experience with any of these or similar? anything to avoid? I think id prefer a trackpad over a ball, but the keyboard with the ball looks much better. Arg.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

thanks! have you any experience with any of these or similar? anything to avoid? I think id prefer a trackpad over a ball, but the keyboard with the ball looks much better. Arg.

Logitech DiNovo Mini. They're pricier than those other models but totally worth it.

Logitech DiNovo Mini. They're pricier than those other models but totally worth it.
    thanks. do you have one?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

thanks. do you have one?

Yup, and it kicks ass.

Yup, and it kicks ass.
    it does look good and perfect for its purpose... but its quite pricy.

looking a bit outside the box and found this "Rii" remote. works out at about €24 delivered. kinda looks like its worth the punt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

Alot of negative feedback in the threads regarding that item from dealextreme

They have a pretty cool website though :)

• Advertisement

Effluo wrote: »
    Alot of negative feedback in the threads regarding that item from dealextreme

They have a pretty cool website though :)
    i used to get sata cables from them and other bits for next to nothing :) takes ages to deliver so you cant be in a rush to receive them occasionally id forget that i even ordered stuff when it arrived in the post it took so long. appears that they have a UK based warehouse now though.

all the reviews looked good though, aside from the thing having poor range (4ft) which kinda sucks, but not the end of the world.

Advertisement