Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hardware Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

Why is the X6 bad for gaming? Would it not be faster than a athlon x3 at the same clock speed? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Results show that the X4s do slightly better than the X6 in gaming. Since very few games actually use more than 3 or 4 cores, you don't see much benefit.

I still think that the X6 is a more visible upgrade. Maybe not a huge difference in games but you would see a bigger change in other applications. The X6s overclock pretty well, so that would give you some advantage. Bulldozer is unlikely to be compatible. IMO, if you got an X6, you would be at the top of the platforms upgradability.

What GPU have you got?
    New SSDs will be out soon and should change the market quite a bit.

Edit:
    Trevor451 wrote: »

What games and resolution are you running at? I think that a bit of overclocking would be in your favour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

I run all my games at 1080p. I dont think I can get a huge cooler since my case (NZXT hades) does not support coolers like the Artic Cooling freezer 7 pro so It would have to be a low proifle CPU cooler.

I think that you should try overclocking and see how it goes. Keep an eye on your temperatures, but you should get up an extra 0.5GHz with the stock cooling.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

The HD6790. Bit of a surprise that, AMD had such a good spread of cards I thought they were giving the low-mid-range cards a break until HD7000... nope, they've released... well, a HD5770 :P

But with a 256-bit memory bus ;)

The result is, of course, HD4890-level performance. It can't match the HD6850 or the more advanced incarnations of the GTX460, but it thrashes the GTX550Ti while being around the same price. And nVidia has already moved to retire the weaker GTX460 variants in favour of the GTX550Ti. Ouch! :o

The catch is that the reference board is ludicrously thirsty compared to the frugal HD57*0, sucking down considerably more juice than a stock HD6850 :eek: Then again... said board is a modded HD6870 PCB, and the more task-appropriate custom PCBs are suspected to bring in big power savings so watch this space ;)

• Advertisement

Silly Tea! The link is in the FAQ ;):p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

Any thoughts on this mobo? Gigabyte GA-880GA-UD3H, AMD 880G, AM3 ATX

is there something better in its price range that im missing?

You can save a bit by going for the mATX 880G boards (or asrock ATX @ €83). Next thing up would be the 890GX. Lowest priced ATX is the asrock at €95.
    The gigabyte is pretty well balanced and has most of the features that you would need. Worth noting that the second PCI-E slot is only x4.

Monotype wrote: »
    You can save a bit by going for the mATX 880G boards (or asrock ATX @ €83). Next thing up would be the 890GX. Lowest priced ATX is the asrock at €95.
    The gigabyte is pretty well balanced and has most of the features that you would need. Worth noting that the second PCI-E slot is only x4.
    thanks as always for the input.

i didnt notice the x4 part. darn. any cheapish AM3 boards going with at least x8x8 in CF in that price bracket? i know its not essential but it would be nice to be able to have that option..

found this: ASUS M4A89GTD Pro
    and it looks like it does SATA3 according to the PR but not the spec chart. god HWVS's website is pretty dire.

It also doesn't have USB 3 (despite it showing blue ports in the pictures).
    The 880G Asrock has x8x8 but only has a VIA soundchip.

If this is for the other thread where you said "maybe some light gaming"?
    IMO don't worry about a crossfire board. Even the mATX boards sound like they'd do.

• Advertisement

It also doesn't have USB 3 (despite it showing blue ports in the pictures).
    The 880G Asrock has x8x8 but only has a VIA soundchip.

If this is for the other thread where you said "maybe some light gaming"?
    IMO don't worry about a crossfire board. Even the mATX boards sound like they'd do.
    thanks. no this would be for a small upgrade for me on the cheap if i can shift the board i have now.

i noticed the Asrock, but also saw the VIA...

maybe CF shouldnt be an option at all and im worrying too much. i have an Nvidia card anyway so before i go out and buy a second radeon card i need to get a first ha ha.
    i hear the microstutter is quite horrendous if you get unlucky enough for it to affect you (though i dont know what conditions that falls under?)

after literally reading and researching every board from €60 to €130 i finally settled on this MSI 870A-Fuzion.

Overclocks very well, has x16x16 CFX AND SLI AND hybrid SLi/CF, SATA300, USB3, Realtech sound. seems to be amazing value for money really. but then it dawned on me. i could either get a nice Phenom X4 upgrade with that great MoBo, or.... for a total of €75 out of my pocket, which is not much more than the AMD route i was going to take, i could get an i5-2500k with the ASRock P67 Pro3 (B3)
    sounds like a bit of a better deal to me :) i love AMD i do but the i5-2500k is a better chip, no question about it.

any thoughts on the ASRock P67 Pro3 Mobo?

only problem i have now is that it'll be kept cool by an Akasa Freedom Tower heatsink that i already own. not sure if its upto the ~4.4ghz task. it was only something like €30 when i bought it. but i cant justify getting more stuff...

That's not a bad price for a P67 board although you'd be sacrificing the second PCI-E slot altogether! To be fair, I'd say a lot of people never bother with a second graphics card on their SLI/crossfire board. By the time it comes around to upgrade, a better single card is easily available.

So the original idea was to use your own board in this build and upgrade yours, but now you're thinking of a whole new build and passing on what you have?

What do you have now?

That's not a bad price for a P67 board although you'd be sacrificing the second PCI-E slot altogether! To be fair, I'd say a lot of people never bother with a second graphics card on their SLI/crossfire board. By the time it comes around to upgrade, a better single card is easily available.

So the original idea was to use your own board in this build and upgrade yours, but now you're thinking of a whole new build and passing on what you have?

What do you have now?
    i was going to pass on my Mobo and spend a little money and upgrade it, then i thought id pass the processor on too and do that too.

he gets a good deal cause my kit is only 6 months old, and i become the free tech guy for life and dont charge any money for building/maintaining it :( obviously im going to let him know about my plan and see how he takes it. just research now :)

ive a MSI 770-G45 and an athlon X3 (unlocked to phenom X4 with 6mb L3 cache) that i was going to give to him. more than he needs but cheaper than what he'd pay for something else..

any idea what that unlocked phenom will be like with its stock (athlon) cooler back on? will it keep things acceptably cool? its running @2.9ghz and according to HW monitor has a max draw of 132.5W and 52W at idle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭el dude

http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/9563916/art/sapphire-technology/radeon-hd-5830-xtreme-1-g.html

Just spotted that over on the bargain thread. Has anyone any thoughts on it? Would be my first foray into PC gaming.

My specs are...

CPU - AMD Athlon II X3 440
    RAM - 4GB DDR3
    MB - ASRock 880GMH
    PSU - 500W OCZ

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    i was going to pass on my Mobo and spend a little money and upgrade it, then i thought id pass the processor on too and do that too.

any idea what that unlocked phenom will be like with its stock (athlon) cooler back on? will it keep things acceptably cool? its running @2.9ghz and according to HW monitor has a max draw of 132.5W and 52W at idle.

It should be OK, at that speed anyway. I haven't seen the A2 X3 heatsinks but they're probably the same as the A2 X4s there's usually a bit of room.

It really depends on how much money you want to spend on yourself then. A 2500K will give you the best performance but at cost if you want an equivalent board. If it's cheap gaming, then maybe a better AMD board. There's workarounds for SLI on an AMD crossfire board. AMD are very cheap these days with phenom X4s just above €100, but with a new socket around the corner, I'd think about investing in a solid upgradable (1155) platform.
    el dude wrote: »
    http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/9563916/art/sapphire-technology/radeon-hd-5830-xtreme-1-g.html

Just spotted that over on the bargain thread. Has anyone any thoughts on it? Would be my first foray into PC gaming.

My specs are...

CPU - AMD Athlon II X3 440
    RAM - 4GB DDR3
    MB - ASRock 880GMH
    PSU - 500W OCZ

The 5830 is a great card for that price, definitely beating anything for the same money. It wasn't a hugely previously popular due to overpricing and a few instability and power issues. Even though the price is good, TBH, I think that the 5850 would be the best for the €20 extra, if you can afford it.

It should be OK, at that speed anyway. I haven't seen the A2 X3 heatsinks but they're probably the same as the A2 X4s there's usually a bit of room.

It really depends on how much money you want to spend on yourself then. A 2500K will give you the best performance but at cost if you want an equivalent board. If it's cheap gaming, then maybe a better AMD board. There's workarounds for SLI on an AMD crossfire board. AMD are very cheap these days with phenom X4s just above €100, but with a new socket around the corner, I'd think about investing in a solid upgradable (1155) platform.

As always Mono, thanks for the advice :)

I think im getting the upgrade bug again, and its itching badly.

ok, your thoughts on these please:

ASUS P8P67 EVO Rev 3.0. i want this to be the last big upgrade i do for my PC for a long time, so i want to get it right. that board seems to be the cheapest option to have all the bells and whistles. do you know if a better board for the same kind of money or cheaper?

im a little worried about those massive heatsinks around the CPU housing, getting in the way of a good CPU cooler? seems ok but they are massive!
    and onto coolers, do you think my Akasa Freedom Tower will be up to the job of a bit of OC on the i5k? will it fit on the board?

ive heard about problems with the P8P67 PRO and people being advised to avoid. does that affect the P8P67 EVO? is it overstating an actual minor limited fault?

and finally, any thoughts on this 4GB-Kit A-DATA XPG X Series PC1600 CL7 RAM? it seems to perform well in benchmarks, but im a little worried that its the cheapest 4gb kit on HWVS?

Looks like a very solid board against the rest of Asus' lineup (see comparison table). Mmm... two LAN ports - handy. Just make sure that your RAM is compatible - there's quite a few people running into problems with this series because of boards not liking RAM.

I'd say the EVO would have any of the same problems. Some might have been sorted out with BIOS updates. The MSI P67A-GD65 has pretty good reviews if you don't want to go for Asus.

A lot of today's CPU heatsinks tend to have extra clearance with board heatsinks and RAM in mind. Just do a search and you'll usually find someone with a combination if it's a popular heatsink.

A-data is a slightly less mainstream brand. RAM is RAM though and it usually works or doesn't. Nevertheless, given the problems I've seen about asus P67 boards and RAM, I'd be a bit more careful. The CL9 RAM is on their approved list but the CL7 is not. You'd probably be OK with it, but I suppose you can't moan to Asus if something goes wrong.

Where do you see it as being the cheapest 4GB on HWV?
    There's a lot of cheaper RAM. Even CL7 1600MHz.
    http://www4.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=29672

Looks like a very solid board against the rest of Asus' lineup (see comparison table). Mmm... two LAN ports - handy. Just make sure that your RAM is compatible - there's quite a few people running into problems with this series because of boards not liking RAM.

I'd say the EVO would have any of the same problems. Some might have been sorted out with BIOS updates. The MSI P67A-GD65 has pretty good reviews if you don't want to go for Asus.

A lot of today's CPU heatsinks tend to have extra clearance with board heatsinks and RAM in mind. Just do a search and you'll usually find someone with a combination if it's a popular heatsink.

A-data is a slightly less mainstream brand. RAM is RAM though and it usually works or doesn't. Nevertheless, given the problems I've seen about asus P67 boards and RAM, I'd be a bit more careful. The CL9 RAM is on their approved list but the CL7 is not. You'd probably be OK with it, but I suppose you can't moan to Asus if something goes wrong.

Where do you see it as being the cheapest 4GB on HWV?
    There's a lot of cheaper RAM. Even CL7 1600MHz.
    http://www4.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=29672
    silly me was when looking for ram i just searched 2x2gb and that was the first hit (and cheapest) HWVS was showing me.

im going to go for the RAM you listed. @1600mhz and CL7 it means i wont find an excuse down the line to upgrade it, cause you cant get much faster can you?

im going to stick with the ASUS board, honestly, because it looks more flashy, and for that reason alone. all boards come with their problems, im guessing MSI would be no different.

the Gskill ripjaws are in the QVL but something odd about it.

155133.JPG

by my understanding of that picture, the board wont post with a single RAM module? is that correct? i dont fancy that as it leaves no room for diagnostics down the line..

EDIT: ok im going for this ram instead. not as nice but it's definitely listed in the QVL and has all 3 dots ticked.
    http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=28070&agid=1193

what do you think if the fact that the board doesnt support the original Gskill ram with 1 module?

My guess is that it might not have been tested. Testing guy fancied an early lunch that day. Or had a lot of boards/modules to get through and put the 2 DIMM list as first priority.

If it works with two sticks, it'll probably work with one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,963 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

just put a 6750 and 6770 up on our shelf today.

They are just rebranded 5770s and 6750s but unfortunately i dont have the price, too busy to look it up in our POS and its not on our website, or any website for that matter. These are supposedly meant to be OEMs and yet, we have them.

I mean sure we've had a bunch of GTX 560 ti's for a minute now, but nobody cares about those.

The 6790 can be had for <€120 now although it's quite close to the 6850 at only €15 more. The 6770s would want to be mostly below the €100, something I'm not seeing with the 5770s.

Are they 512MB or 1GB?

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Ryan451

Im building a PC with the In Win Griffin case.
    On the side there is a 22cm fan with a 4 pin male molex and 4 pin female molex connectors.
    Im using a Super Flower Amazon PSU and when i connect the male molex to a female molex on my PSU the fan wont start.
    Do i have to connect the female molex connector somewhere also?

Shouldn't do. Is there an on-off or speed selector switch for it on the case or hidden on or near the fan?

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Ryan451

Solitaire wrote: »
    Shouldn't do. Is there an on-off or speed selector switch for it on the case or hidden on or near the fan?

It started to work eventually after i restarted the system a few times. Maybe a buggy molex on the PSU or something but all is fine now.

The case looks quite good,neat and tidy when everything is in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,963 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

The 6790 can be had for <€120 now although it's quite close to the 6850 at only €15 more. The 6770s would want to be mostly below the €100, something I'm not seeing with the 5770s.

Are they 512MB or 1GB?
    I didnt check closely and i had no time to breathe today so id have to look next time i get a moment to think, we were inundated today @_o

can anyone give me any reason to wait for the Z68 chipset mobo's to arrive?
    im not normally an early adopter because of all the risks associated with it, but i'd suspect they've gone through extra trouble to make sure everything works after the SATA shinanigans.

will the prices be ludicrously high? maybe just initially?
    i dont want to invest in a high end ASUS p8p67 EVO all to be left behind in the gravy train...

I heard that you may be able to use quicksync for fast video decoding even if you have a dedicated card with Z68.
    I doubt the prices will be that high since the benefits don't seem to be that amazing. Most people would fit into a H67 or P67 category so I would think maybe slightly more than what P67 boards are now, at least after the initial gouging.

I hope they have mITX boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭superneat

I heard that you may be able to use quicksync for fast video decoding even if you have a dedicated card with Z68.
    I doubt the prices will be that high since the benefits don't seem to be that amazing. Most people would fit into a H67 or P67 category so I would think maybe slightly more than what P67 boards are now, at least after the initial gouging.

I hope they have mITX boards.

You're right about the quicksync but the prices will be VERY high--as in x58 high, seeing as that's the platform they are replacing. ie. enthusiasts who have the money and desire to have the best possible configurations.
    I'm guessing between 300 and 600 yoyos at launch. :(

• Advertisement

superneat wrote: »
    You're right about the quicksync but the prices will be VERY high--as in x58 high, seeing as that's the platform they are replacing. ie. enthusiasts who have the money and desire to have the best possible configurations.
    I'm guessing between 300 and 600 yoyos at launch. :(
    im not so sure. ivy bridge will be the next X58, and the Z68 will still be a sandy bridge era motherboard.

Advertisement