Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Consequences of leaving the catholic church

Options
  • 14-05-2008 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am agnostic but baptised and confirmed catholic. I without a doubt don't believe in the teachings of the Catholic church.

I want to officially leave the church. I have found out how to do it but I am not sure about the consequences as to whether I should do it.

The reasons I want to leave the church are:
    1. I want the records to show that I am not a Catholic i.e. if and when future generations check the records.
    2. I find it hypocrytical for me to give out about/strongly disagree with the church and its teachings without making an attempt to distance myself/formally remove myself from the church.
    3. When people ask me my religion I say I am agnostic but some persist and ask me what I was baptised into and then presume I am actually catholic (but am not a practising catholic like many in Ireland). I want to be able to tell them I have officially defected from the church and have proof of it in writing.
    4. I do not want a christian funeral/wedding etc.

Some of my concerns are:
    1. What happens for funerals/burials as a result i.e. can I still be buried?
    - What happens if I die young and say my parents decide to bury me in a family plot or something - could that be refused? Would I have to be buried in a certain section of a graveyard etc?
    2. If others get married/die/baptised/christened etc - can I still attend e.g. my sister had a child recently and thus had a christening. I had no intention of being a god parent or anything but am I still allowed in the church? same goes for weddings etc?
    3. Would my local parish priest hold it against me in some way? i.e. will he make contact with me to try and convince me to come back or something?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

axer wrote: »
    - What happens if I die young and say my parents decide to bury me in a family plot or something - could that be refused? Would I have to be buried in a certain section of a graveyard etc?
    Yep, you can still be buried. I think someone else asked something similar recently, but there are very few church-owned graveyards. In any case, I understand that once you own the plot, you can bury whoever you like in it.
    2. If others get married/die/baptised/christened etc - can I still attend e.g. my sister had a child recently and thus had a christening. I had no intention of being a god parent or anything but am I still allowed in the church? same goes for weddings etc?
    Absolutely :D. You won't burst into flames or anything. You know yourself that there's no I.D. checks or random baptisings going on in the church. Most religions tend to allow anyone into their church (unless you're female of course :rolleyes:)
    3. Would my local parish priest hold it against me in some way? i.e. will he make contact with me to try and convince me to come back or something?
    Perhaps, but this would vary from priest to priest. They can "hold it against you", but in modern Ireland this means very little anymore, just another person who's not that fond of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Hi Axer, I read your post and found yourself agreeing with almost everything you said! I would call myself atheist however. I suppose my main reason was when people would say "ah you're baptised, therefore you're catholic" I wanted to say, "well actually, no!"

I recently went through the steps you describe for much the same reasons. i don't know if you personally know your local parish priest, or if you live in a small community but I can't think that it would be taken personally at all!

In fact one of the priests who contacted me when I wrote to the church requesting to officially leave, was extremely friendly, never asked me why, and helped me in any way he could.

My advice is don't worry, write to the church where you were baptised and politely request that they amend your record.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

FYI - more reading from older threads...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055184468
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055063723
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054890629
    Malari wrote: »
    I would call myself atheist however. I suppose my main reason was when people would say "ah you're baptised, therefore you're catholic"...
    Why would anyone ever say "ah you're baptised"? Do you still wear your gown or something? :D

Peoples perception of you as a catholic won't change because you've been struck off some list somewhere. As a 'minority' you'll still have to declare your godlessness in conversation, which makes the exercise kinda pointless afaic.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Dades wrote: »
    Why would anyone ever say "ah you're baptised"? Do you still wear your gown or something? :D

Peoples perception of you as a catholic won't change because you've been struck off some list somewhere. As a 'minority' you'll still have to declare your godlessness in conversation, which makes the exercise kinda pointless afaic.

Well people have said that to me following a conversation about religion (eg, at weddings this tends to come up after the "when are you getting married" topic is exhausted). And if the person doesn't agree with your explanation and choices it seems to satisfy them in some way, like a tv lawyer, to conclude with "ah you're baptised therefore a catholic, I rest my case!"

It wasn't my only reason for wanting to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

That happened to me, so I placed my hand on the guys head and said "I now baptism you into the church of Satan! There, you're a devil worshipper now, even though you didn't want to be." They shut up after that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

humanji wrote: »
    That happened to me, so I placed my hand on the guys head and said "I now baptism you into the church of Satan! There, you're a devil worshipper now, even though you didn't want to be." They shut up after that.

Awesome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

I didn't know you could officially defect from the church, how do you go about doing it?

orestes wrote: »
    I didn't know you could officially defect from the church, how do you go about doing it?
    I refer to the other threads in my post above....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 lorrsi666

Hi,

I am agnostic but baptised and confirmed catholic. I without a doubt don't believe in the teachings of the Catholic church.

I want to officially leave the church. I have found out how to do it but I am not sure about the consequences as to whether I should do it.

1. I want the records to show that I am not a Catholic i.e. if and when future generations check the records.
    2. I find it hypocrytical for me to give out about/strongly disagree with the church and its teachings without making an attempt to distance myself/formally remove myself from the church.
    3. When people ask me my religion I say I am agnostic but some persist and ask me what I was baptised into and then presume I am actually catholic (but am not a practising catholic like many in Ireland). I want to be able to tell them I have officially defected from the church and have proof of it in writing.

Some of my concerns are:

Thanks.
    Hi, I'm exactly like you, i do not believe in the way the church teaches people. I study the bible myself. but the questionis how to i de register from the church?
    I've searched in internet and cannot find how to.
    Ive asked my family and they refuse the idea saying its a sin....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭gramlab

orestes wrote: »

Do you get to stay in a safe house for a while and get debreifed..............now that would be a reason for leaving;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

They put a big ass stamp across your baptism cert that says DEFECTED.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 lorrsi666

Well i contacted the church i was baptised in and the priest said once your baptised you cant change, so i hung up and rang another church told the priest what i wanted to do, he was more than happy to give me the info, he used the word abjuring my faith. But then went on to say that it will effect my children, that they may not get into certain schools.... NOW to me that infringes human rights, The priest went on and agreed off record with some of my points, and asked me to attend a meeting he has hoping to see if this would change my mind.

I Also found out that even when you are crossed off, they still CLAIM you to be catholic, but refuse to acknowledge you at funerals etc ( not that you want to be acknowledged).

Its a funny world here in Ireland that the church still thinks that it can scare people with children to stay in the church, its only about numbers to them.
    More people here should open their eyes and stop going by what we were thought as kids, for example if you dont baptize your child it wont go to heavan. etc
    its just a scam, its even more so like a cult!!!!! just the same as any other, once your in the make it hard for you to leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Every day I thank my parents for having the foresight not to baptize me into any religion. It's just the principle of the thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭timetogetfit

Some of my concerns are:
    3. Would my local parish priest hold it against me in some way? i.e. will he make contact with me to try and convince me to come back or something

Given your beliefs why would you have concerns about what happens to your body after your die

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Given your beliefs why would you have concerns about what happens to your body after your die
    I believe that there is no way of knowing if there is a higher power/god or not (i'm agnostic not atheist) and I don't think those beliefs go against any concerns I might have since I neither dispell the notion that there is a higher power/god nor an afterlife etc.. There might be but I am not going to follow some man made religion as if it were the word of some higher being and not not just something someone made up that is why I definitely would not want a Catholic funeral.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,153 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Mena wrote: »
    Every day I thank my parents for having the foresight not to baptize me into any religion. It's just the principle of the thing.
    You must have a very stress free life.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Michael G

lorrsi666 wrote: »
    Well i contacted the church i was baptised in and the priest said once your baptised you cant change, so i hung up and rang another church told the priest what i wanted to do, he was more than happy to give me the info, he used the word abjuring my faith.
    The first one was right. The second one must have been one of the Fr Trendy type. Baptism isn't like joining a club or a political party. It is (in our view of course) an intrinsic and permanent change that no human can reverse. You could of course "abjure" it, but we can burn you for that. And you would still be baptised even as a cinder.
    lorrsi666 wrote: »
    But then went on to say that it will effect my children, that they may not get into certain schools.... NOW to me that infringes human rights.
    Your human rights? What rights, and how does this affect them?

Michael G wrote: »
    The first one was right. The second one must have been one of the Fr Trendy type. Baptism isn't like joining a club or a political party. It is (in our view of course) an intrinsic and permanent change that no human can reverse. You could of course "abjure" it, but we can burn you for that. And you would still be baptised even as a cinder.
    Highlighted in important part.
    Michael G wrote: »
    Your human rights? What rights, and how does this affect them?
    I think he meant the right to primary education for his children which is a right conferred by the constitution of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,963 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Hi,

Some of my concerns are:

Thanks.
    Why not join the Irish Humanist society?
    That way you can express your philosophical views and keep the Baptism cert as a nostaligic record of old days. Think about you live to 96, religion is gone, and you have a record of it to show your great-grandchildren or sell at an auction!

• Advertisement

Why not join the Irish Humanist society?
    That way you can express your philosophical views and keep the Baptism cert as a nostaligic record of old days. Think about you live to 96, religion is gone, and you have a record of it to show your great-grandchildren or sell at an auction!
    I don't have a need to express my philosophical views I just want to have the records show that I am not a catholic. You could talk about the lack of evidence that there is/isn't a god all day long but you will still arrive at the same conclusion i.e. we don't know, so whats the point.

Im sure I still have a baptismal cert anyway plus I doubt Catholicism is going to die in the next 70 years or so.

I have my letter all ready to go and am planning on posting it this week. Would it be better to send it to the bishop of diocese I got baptised in or to the head priest in the parish?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,153 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

The only record of your religion that actually matters is the census.

Sangre wrote: »
    The only record of your religion that actually matters is the census.
    I don't agree because most people who do genealogical searches for instance often use parish records.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

but the census doesn't record your religion individually does it?

i guess the cso can look at individual records but can gov workers?

but the census doesn't record your religion individually does it?
    Sure does - if it's not listed amongst the options you can write it in the "other" box.
    i guess the cso can look at individual records but can gov workers?
    What do government workers work off if not the census?

well the first response is the census that we see doesn't record it individual, and secondly i was doubting the revenue plug into how good your irish is and all the questions asked on the census.

You mean can a government worker access someone's individual replies? I very much doubt it. How would that benefit you anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

well OP, i've been in a similar position. Unfortunately I'm getting married to someone who would like the whole church wedding ceremony thing in October this year. So for now I've not renounced my catholic baptism, eventhough i am most definitely an atheist and have had this view for a long time now.

I was more concerned with the records that mattered to me, i.e hospital records, the census etc than the church ones seeing as it plays no part in my life. I've found though over the past year or so this has niggled away at me, and November this year, I'll be getting out too!

that's what i was saying

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,328 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I think i'll wait a while and see how the upcoming religion wars turn out.
    Last thing I need is to be marched off into an heathen camp.

Would be interested in details though.

Advertisement