Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price of a pint in Dicey Reillys, Harcourt St

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Degsy wrote: »
    Generally overpriced,bad food and apalling service.A lot of places seem to think high prices equates with value

Yeah, the night link is handy, I will get a taxi when I'm lazy though.

You must be going to the wrong restaurants as well as the wrong pubs!

Have you tried Che Max, French Bistro at French prices? SABA? Try the theatre menu in Chapter one, amazing food at great value. Have you been to The Pizza Stop at the side of great outdoors? You seriously can't complain about the Italian food and Italian prices there? Monty's of Katmandu, one of the most reasonable and tasty ethnics in the City or the tacky Asians all along Moore st. and Parliament st? Dirt cheap. Tante Zoe's Authentic Creole... the list goes on...

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Fair dinkum,i take the nightlink myself if i'm in t own.
    I disagree about the restuarants.Generally overpriced,bad food and apalling service.A lot of places seem to think high prices equates with value.Ditto pubs.I'd rather cook myself or take a holiday somewhere they have a better understanding of quality.
    Gotta agree there. With a few exceptions (winding stair for e.g). But generally the only way I know I'm not going to be disappointed when going out for a meal is if I'm about to get on a plane for a weekend away.

humberklog wrote: »
    (winding stair for e.g)..

I love that place, didn't mention it, cause I wouldn't consider it cheap, for me its good value though, the food is excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭baztard

Diceys is an awful pub. The staff are useless, couldn't pour a good pint if their life depended on it. The quality of drink they serve is terrible, and the price of it sky high. The place is a super pub where most of the crowd are after work parties of some sort. It has no soul, avoid it at all costs!

lightening wrote: »
    Yeah, the night link is handy, I will get a taxi when I'm lazy though.

You must be going to the wrong restaurants as well as the wrong pubs!

Have you tried Che Max, French Bistro at French prices? SABA? Try the theatre menu in Chapter one, amazing food at great value. Have you been to The Pizza Stop at the side of great outdoors? You seriously can't complain about the Italian food and Italian prices there? Monty's of Katmandu, one of the most reasonable and tasty ethnics in the City or the tacky Asians all along Moore st. and Parliament st? Dirt cheap. Tante Zoe's Authentic Creole... the list goes on...
    Che Max is good, a great addition to the city. Yes it is french bistro cuisine at french bistro prices but it is served with 1974 east german costomer indifference. I don't let this upset me though as it makes me laugh a lot how inept they can be. Also not keen on the jacks being so close to the open windowed kitchen. Chapter one is outstanding but come on...you'd want to be thinking in advance a bit. I do have a soft spot for gruel on dame st.An honest little place where they always make people feel welcome. I can't help but have the hots for the older italian woman that does front of house in the evenings.

• Advertisement

I love that place, didn't mention it, cause I wouldn't consider it cheap, for me its good value though, the food is excellent.
    For what you get it is cheap though. Informed helpful staff, reasonably priced excellent wine, linen table cloth and napkins, sparkling cutlery and seasonable, fresh food. Indeed it is medium price range(not cheap)but it does a great job a punching above its weight. This is the template for how we should be dining at such prices.
    Il pomo d'oro is very good. Think that twat owner is gone now and the house is run by excellent attentive italians.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

Still awaiting the dreaded €5 pint in Cork!

Hopefully won't be for a long time. 3.85 for a pint in Dubarrys in Clon.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Wierd. It was my first and last time in there last Thursday night....
    Handed the puerto rican €20 for 4 pints and he says "fo mo youro" back to me.
    Complete arse biscuits.

I was in some place in Westmoreland st and noticed Bavaria on tap.."aha" i thought,"a loss leader".I ordered a pint and handed the bloke a fiver expecting to get two quid back."Another seventy please" he said.I told him to stick it up his arse.

A while yet. Got a pint of Murphy's in Cronins,crosshaven for 3.75. and that'd be the dearest pub there. Cracing food too.

• Advertisement

I was in some place in Westmoreland st and noticed Bavaria on tap.."aha" i thought,"a loss leader".I ordered a pint and handed the bloke a fiver expecting to get two quid back."Another seventy please" he said.I told him to stick it up his arse.
    Ooooh...I bet you thought you were on a winner there too. Ye'd think! Was it O'sullivan's or the westmoreland? What the feck did it taste like/of?
    You were Furstenburgled!

Ooooh...I bet you thought you were on a winner there too. Ye'd think! Was it O'sullivan's or the westmoreland? What the feck did it taste like/of?
    You were Furstenburgled!

O'Sullivans.Thieving,robbing,greedy bastards..its

You were Furstenburgled!

O'Sullivans.Thieving,robbing,greedy bastards..its no wonder people are drinking at home and theyhave the cheek to blame the smoking ban!

So... Degsy, you going to try any of those restaurants?

O'Sullivans.Thieving,robbing,greedy bastards..its
    I'm glad you said as I've been in there listening to music the last couple of Mondays and noticed it for sale. I was a bit stuck for cash about 2week ago and was gonna opt for that drink as I thought it might be a cheaper alternative to guinness. Glad I didn't as it would have ate into my bus fare. Really it was that tight and that close a call. That beer should come with a warning..."its dearer than you think!". Coulda tripped me up no end.

I'm glad you said as I've been in there listening to music the last couple of Mondays and noticed it for sale. I was a bit stuck for cash about 2week ago and was gonna opt for that drink as I thought it might be a cheaper alternative to guinness. Glad I didn't as it would have ate into my bus fare. Really it was that tight and that close a call. That beer should come with a warning..."its dearer than you think!". Coulda tripped me up no end.

Well anywhere else i've seen it for sale its around the 3.00-3.50 mark so it wasnt unreasonable to assume that place would've followed suit.To charge nearly double what everywhere else is charging is just plain greed.Anyhoos,i'm blanking that pub after that.

So... Degsy, you going to try any of those restaurants?

I m ay do.First off my needs are specific,i require mounds of good-quality meat every three hours,i dont like pasta but i like a decent pizza and i wont pay more than 20 quid for a bottle of plonk.I usually eat in Jamuna Indian in Drumcondra or Independent Pizza also in Drumcondra.

Lol.... I love it, lots of meat, a man after my heart.

Che Max have brilliant Rib Eyes (as do The Winding Stair) and a great huge lamb shank. Chapter one have duck sausages and slow roasted lamb or beef. The trick is to book the next space available, the next week and the next week, cancel as you go. Saba do a great Vietnamese steak, almost raw with herbs.

Asking for a bottle of wine for less than 20 Euro in Dublin is unreasonable, we are an island with taxes, big rent and high wages. Montys do a raw minced lamb starter with whiskey. Fantastic.

Lol.... I love it, lots of meat, a man after my heart.

Che Max have brilliant Rib Eyes (as do The Winding Stair) and a great huge lamb shank. Chapter one have duck sausages and slow roasted lamb or beef. The trick is to book the next space available, the next week and the next week, cancel as you go. Saba do a great Vietnamese steak, almost raw with herbs.

Asking for a bottle of wine for less than 20 Euro in Dublin is unreasonable, we are an island with taxes, big rent and high wages. Montys do a raw minced lamb starter with whiskey. Fantastic.

You utter swine.I'm drooling like a spastic and it'll be an hour or more before i get to eat.Will deffo try a few of these come pay day!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Balls.Bruxelles is full of sour-faced **** in thier 30's hogging the juke box and trying to look cool,its small and overcrowded and the drink price is a joke.Fibbers is a far better venue,it just happens to be on the northside.
    Juke box? I know there was one in the old days, but anytime I've been there, there was a DJ down the back, to the right of the bar. Also, most people there are the people who hung out in Fibbers 5/10/15 years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭IanCurtis

I m ay do.First off my needs are specific,i require mounds of good-quality meat every three hours,i dont like pasta but i like a decent pizza and i wont pay more than 20 quid for a bottle of plonk.I usually eat in Jamuna Indian in Drumcondra or Independent Pizza also in Drumcondra.

Price of a pint in Dicey Reillys?

Mods?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Diceys used to be pleasant enough a couple of years ago - staff were vaguely competent, prices were higher than normal but not too high, the beer garden wasn't as jammers as it is now, and most importantly, it was STILL OPEN. since they put that gigantic plastic sunblocker over half of it the only thing that I enjoyed about it is now gone.

By the way, if anyone wants a nice little beer garden in the city centre, there is (or was a year or so ago) a lovely one out back Bia Bar.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

First lightening and degsy are arguing like little bitches now they're practically having sex right in front of us... get a room

• Registered Users Posts: 46 hugejeans

I was in Dicey's on Wednesday, price of a pint before 8pm was €5 after 8pm it was €6, I'm sure it goes up again but I didnt stick around long enough to find out. The most I've paid for a pint in dublin so far has been 6.50 in Café En Seine, thankfully I dont go there often!

hugejeans wrote: »
    I was in Dicey's on Wednesday, price of a pint before 8pm was €5 after 8pm it was €6, I'm sure it goes up again but I didnt stick around long enough to find out. The most I've paid for a pint in dublin so far has been 6.50 in Café En Seine, thankfully I dont go there often!

Its a disgrace.You can get six cans in an offy for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 yoji101

hugejeans wrote: »
    Yeah my job goes to Dicey's quite a bit. The practise of putting the pint up after 8pm is totally taking the piss and has made it so I will not walk in the door on principle. Gits.

Why do they choose 8pm?Its not mentioned in the licensing laws..

Do they still have Sinatra on a Sunday afternoon? Cracking build up of G.I.L.Fs if memory serves. Fancy a bit of that this weekend!

Do they still have Sinatra on a Sunday afternoon? Cracking build up of G.I.L.Fs if memory serves. Fancy a bit of that this weekend!

Have you been reading any of these threads about the place?

• Advertisement

Have you been reading any of these threads about the place?
    Yeah, but fun's fun. I have a few friends over from england at weekend and that could be a good starting point for a sunday afternoon as it'll be quite a big crowd of smokers, eaters and drinkers and some of them are staying around there. I've got my own notions on the place and wouldn't be swayed by others opinions on it. We'd be outta there by 6 and it'd suit us for gathering together there....But only if Sinatra's playing as it brings the glam gran count up through the roof. Different and fun. It's been a year since I was there so I'm hardly rating it as a top spot. Also the half the crowd we'll be meeting are late forties so they may enjoy it. A laugh's a laugh and when with a big gang a place is what you make of it yourself.

Advertisement