Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you LISTEN to music?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭sei046

I have made my name (Dave) know always!

But I dont really want this to turn into a "Well im great because i did..."

1. In my books a top notch act has musical integrity AND showmanship
    2. I may not like an act but I can respect that they are good!
    3. Elitism spells death for aspiring artists

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

sei046 wrote: »
    Fro what is wrong with the people mentioned? What are you referring to?

Huh? I dunno what you mean!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭dav nagle

I have made my name (Dave) know always!

But I dont really want this to turn into a "Well im great because i did..."

2. I may not like an act but I can respect that they are good!

Response to the psalm:

1.How many books of sheer knowledge do you have? Can I have some ??

2.Yes I have said at many gigs not sound like a dry kind of guy '' there cool, I just well, I am not into there stuff''

3. Ireland possibly is full of eletism?? what do you think about that?

Are we all out for money and prestige?

You said "give me a break" referring to the artists like the beatles, zep, rolling sotones, Aguilera and Buble.

I dont know if your slagging me or agreeing with me Dav!?!?

• Advertisement

I dont know if your slagging me or agreeing with me Dav!?!?

I am and have been agreeing with you the entire thread.I would make it clear to you if I disagreed, I think you are spot on :)

Ah! Bloody lack of discernible emotions!

Re; your question I mainly use....

Ah! Bloody lack of discernible emotions!

Re; your question I mainly use....

LOL :):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Look at good Oul' Joe Dolan. Lets be honest about it... Theres no show like a Joe show.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

You said "give me a break" referring to the artists like the beatles, zep, rolling sotones, Aguilera and Buble.

I was refering to the singer songwriters mentioned in Dav's earlier post.

• Advertisement

AH right. this thread got hella confusing hella fast

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

So this looks again as one of those threads that ends up drifting away from its original subject!

But speaking about good and bad music and what makes a band/musicians successful,
    I always like music to be a form of art and like bands who consider their music as thought out pieces of artwork put together.
    Bands like NIN, Tool, Thrice, they keep pushing the boundries of what music can do composing their pieces like a piece of artwork rather than building their music upon a worked out successful formula that can make them rich and famous. Bands like Fall Out Boy, Panic at the Disco, Avenged Sevenfold are really good examples of this. A tried and tested formula for composing music that would go down very well in mainstream popularity.
    Problem with such music is that although it might appeal to the masses, its lacks any sorta substance and gets very predictable and boring very soon. You can't look at that sorta music as an artform. Cuz its not art, its just music.

I think the best music is made when the musician is not chasing money and fame but rather the music is created from the emotions and passion of an artist to create a timeless piece of artwork that can be adored and appreaciated by many for centuries to come. Just like Mona Lisa or the Sistine Chapel.

And speaking about music as art, i think what makes a band/musician famous can be explained pretty well by aesthetics:

The philosopher Denis Dutton identified seven universal signatures in human aesthetics:

1. Expertise or virtuosity. Technical artistic skills are cultivated, recognized, and admired.
    2. Nonutilitarian pleasure. People enjoy art for art's sake, and don't demand that it keep them warm or put food on the table.
    3. Style. Artistic objects and performances satisfy rules of composition that place them in a recognizable style.
    4. Criticism. People make a point of judging, appreciating, and interpreting works of art.
    5. Imitation. With a few important exceptions like music and abstract painting, works of art simulate experiences of the world.
    6. Special focus. Art is set aside from ordinary life and made a dramatic focus of experience.
    7. Imagination. Artists and their audiences entertain hypothetical worlds in the theater of the imagination.

And a little more about aesthetics:

Objects are aesthetically valuable if:
    - they possess a special aesthetic property or exhibit a special aesthetic form.
    - they have the capacity to convey meaning or to teach general truths.
    - they have the capacity to produce pleasure in those who experience or appreciate them.
    - they have the capacity to convey values or beliefs central to the cultures or traditions in which they originate, or important to the artists who made them.
    - they have the capacity to help bring about social or political change.
    - they have the capacity to produce certain emotions we value, at least when the emotion is brought about by art rather than by life.
    - they have the capacity to produce special non-emotional experiences, such as a feeling of autonomy of the will or suspension of disbelief.

Something to think bout!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

dav nagle wrote: »
    Look here you pack of harp drinking bikers! If you!!! Jsuited are going to declare who is in your family then brilliant! Because I would love to know! )

I know who both their Dads are !

I could not listen to the likes of S club lets say!

Ah Dave - "Don't stop movin' to da phunky phunky beat' what a foot tapper!

PaulBrewer wrote: »
    I know who both their Dads are !

Fair play, but the point is, even the small people who have achieved small things our entitled to an opinion regardless if they made it to the top or not and that opinion is worth hearing and learning from as much as any opinion.:pac::pac:

Is that a bad sign paul!?!

This thread has gotten seriously off topic alright!
    But I think its pretty relevant in a way as music production has a lot to do with knowing the effect you want the music to have and that depends a lot on the artist.

Anyway I think we are all regurgitating (sp thats obviously wrong!) the same stuff as each other

The philosopher Denis Dutton identified seven universal signatures in human aesthetics:

1. Expertise or virtuosity. Technical artistic skills are cultivated, recognized, and admired.
    2. Nonutilitarian pleasure. People enjoy art for art's sake, and don't demand that it keep them warm or put food on the table.
    3. Style. Artistic objects and performances satisfy rules of composition that place them in a recognizable style.
    4. Criticism. People make a point of judging, appreciating, and interpreting works of art.
    5. Imitation. With a few important exceptions like music and abstract painting, works of art simulate experiences of the world.
    6. Special focus. Art is set aside from ordinary life and made a dramatic focus of experience.
    7. Imagination. Artists and their audiences entertain hypothetical worlds in the theater of the imagination.

Something to think bout!!

Yea .... but I said it simpler .... innit?:cool:

Actually paul I do find when a "classic.." spice girls tune comes on the radio I am like "AW YEAH!". Time and space heals any wounds. You can definitely appreciate things for what they are when you stand away and them bands need to be appreciated for what they are!

The long and winding thread!

I

Aha!!!

But how can you categorically measure 'INTEGRITY' who's to say Ronan Keating doesn't dedicate every molecule of his being into his work with as much passion as a human can have ....

.... and Bob Dylan isn't laughing at us all and thinking of Filthy Lucre....

How do you KNOW!?

• Advertisement

Actually paul I do find when a "classic.." spice girls tune comes on the radio I am like "AW YEAH!". Time and space heals any wounds. You can definitely appreciate things for what they are when you stand away and them bands need to be appreciated for what they are!

A Zigga zig Ah to that!

By that I meant that nomatter what music it is, that your dedicated to it. I dont care if the songs are crap! But I can enjoy someones music a lot more if I believe they really care for their songs and put everything into them.

It really has to be about the music. If Ronan Keating really loves his music and pours everything into it I dont care if he is singing jingles!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Yeah, i find myself doing that to loads of sounds by bands i dislike too...

Muse is the best example for me here. Its one band that just doesn't do it for me. But i'ld still sing out to the words of "hysteria" or find myself playing the opening riff of "plug in baby" quite often!
    And although i don't like them much, i do say they are one of the best bands currently out there. They do what they do and they do it pretty damn good.

Similar reason why we all end up singing along to the words of songs by Elvis or Beatles or Led Zepplin. They're "classics". They made music for the sake of making good music and they did a pretty damn good job at it. Music being appreciated for what it is!!

Nah ! That's exactly what you want in yer filthy Rock band ... the belief that they are the best!!

Well what I really mean there is that if you are so stubborn about your music that you shun showmanship because you feel you dont need it you are not going to get too far!

But I can enjoy someones music a lot more if I believe they really care for their songs and put everything into them.

So you agree one can't know absolutely another person's intentions ? And therefore 'INTEGRITY' as a measurable concept can only be speculated upon?

And therfore the idea of judging anyones music with that idea is twaddle? Huh?;)

Well what I really mean there is that if you are so stubborn about your music that you shun showmanship because you feel you dont need it you are not going to get too far!

Ah! a different sort of elitism ! A perhaps more common one locally?

But it doesnt matter does it?

If I feel someone is really into their music then I can get into it. Great for me, great for them!

If they are not it doesnt really matter because I wont know! And all that matters is MY judgement of the music because why do I care if you dont like the music i listen to!

Music is a personal thing, I dont care if you dont like what I like because its me who has to listen to it!

So it doesnt matter if I know their real intentions! Its my view on their integrity that counts

PaulBrewer wrote: »
    Ah! a different sort of elitism ! A perhaps more common one locally?

I dont really know??? Not sure what your getting at

• Advertisement

But it doesnt matter does it?

If I feel someone is really into their music then I can get into it. Great for me, great for them!

If they are not it doesnt really matter because I wont know! And all that matters is MY judgement of the music because why do I care if you dont like the music i listen to!

Music is a personal thing, I dont care if you dont like what I like because its me who has to listen to it!

So it doesnt matter if I know their real intentions! Its my view on their integrity that counts

My Point Exactly!!

Advertisement