Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you LISTEN to music?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭ogy

You give me an image of a beer drinking biker (no offense bikers!) ''Hey man music is not what it used to be!!''....

dav nagle=hells angel?!:)

nah, tbh i held such opinions for a long time. when i was young i totally subscribed to the NME kid indie buzz (NME what it was then not now:)) i loved oasis/blur/supergrass/etc. plus loads of other bands who in retrospect i realise were total rubbish:)
    then when i was about 16 i learned some hendrix tunes. from that age until i was about 20 i went through all the greats, hendrix/the doors/led zeppelin/neil young/deep purple/CSNY, all the classic rock and folk from the 60s and 70s. I honestly believed for a long time that there was nothing good made after the year 1975, that music had lost its way a long time ago. Then bizarrely i spent a year listening to nothing but hip hop, which led to more electronic styles, meanwhile exploring kinda 'one-offs' like tom waits and stuff. And eventually i realised that its all good man!:) Its all part of this wonderful thing we call music:cool:

You should listen to anything that tickles you whatever genre/style whatever its in and push yourself to explore these avenues as much as time/enthusiasm allows.

And i maintain that for all the boring damien rice ripoff/boring guitar rock/unimaginative derivative rubbish creators in ireland, there are some classic songwriters, brilliantly original bands, electronic wizards and all round pioneers of music to be found. and thats in ireland alone.
    Good music is and always has been a constant!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭sei046

Aw man but if she dumped you imagine the tunes you would write!

CSNY.... Crime Scene New York?!

I think of country as a more advanced binary describing something more complex

1 4 5 5 1 4 5 5 4 4 5 5 4 4 5 5 2(m) 5 5 1

absolutely genius statement:)

Declan Nerney and his ilk clearly possess a higer understanding than the rest of us:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

dav nagle wrote: »

So I try not to be anyone but myself
    /QUOTE]

Don't worry Dav, I don't think you have any other options!!

• Advertisement

CSNY = Crosby Stills Nash and Young:)

go get your hands on deja vu, now! quick!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭dav nagle

Yes ogy music is an amazing drug all by itself!

sei046 wrote: »
    Aw man but if she dumped you imagine the tunes you would write!

Man all but one of my songs are about the last girl that dumped me and what I learnt from the experience, you are on the penny there! +1. At one stage I taught my relationships were just a scientific study to see how much I could hurt myself!!

There is nothing like messing your life up for the sake of a few tunes on your album

PaulBrewer wrote: »
    dav nagle wrote: »

So I try not to be anyone but myself
    /QUOTE]

Don't worry Dav, I don't think you have any other options!!

Where would I be if I listened to boy george ?

• Advertisement

There is nothing like messing your life up for the sake of a few tunes on your album

poor oul amy winehouse has made a career out of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

I think of country as a more advanced binary describing something more complex

1 4 5 5 1 4 5 5 4 4 5 5 4 4 5 5 2(m) 5 5 1

Huh?!! :p

LOL!

'hey! hey! your good, your very good!''

Yeah but the last 2 time I got dumped I wrote some good stuff, but sure hey I want to settle down from learning these emotional lessons, have a few kids !

frobisher wrote: »
    Huh?!! :p

In joke!

typical country chord sequence = secret of the universe:)

In joke!

Doesn't binary only mean just 2 digits eg 0 & 1, or have I got that wrong?

Share the nerd speak!

Yup your right. But in country you talk in nashville numbers. So a chord sequence might be 1 4 5 1 in the key of G.

So thats G C D G.

Its just a commom language and makes charting songs very easy.

Yup your right. But in country you talk in nashville numbers. So a chord sequence might be 1 4 5 1 in the key of G.

So thats G C D G.

Its just a commom language and makes charting songs very easy.

:D I gets it now. I thought I was missing a digital joke a la: "There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't." :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

frobisher wrote: »
    "There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't." :p

still my favourite joke of all time.

only works non-verbally though

jtsuited wrote: »
    still my favourite joke of all time.

only works non-verbally though

Yeah. Trying to explain it verbally would be the nerdiest thing i could think of!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭11811

Binary Solo anyone??
    I think i listen to too much music, cant do anything or go anywhere with listening to something..
    I always seem to be listening out for different production techniques on new records and stuff on the radio more so than actual songs if you know what i mean.
    And yeah Paul that new death cab single is Quality, altho the album version is a bit long at 8 mins!

Im liking the mix on the coldplay tune. I will have to give it a proper listen but its not uber squashed/ evrerything just sitting. Has a lot of dynamic to it I think

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭11811

yeah thats nice actually, the new death cab stuff is like that too, everything sits nicely in the mix and has plenty of space, nice to hear music thats hasnt been squashed to ****!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

judas101 wrote: »
    yes.

Kooks are trash tho.

The new NIN stuff is great.

NIN is always great!!:D

And yeah, i do listen to bands out there with the similar sound to what i'm working on myself. Just to see what the competition is like and if they're good, learn some of their music, get influence n all...

And NIN is my biggest influence...

At the end of the day, in every form of art, there's good art and bad art..Its all subjective,..but if someone is just in it to make money, become quite well known, or whatever, you'll hear it in the music..To quote a Mr. Robert M Pirsig(Author of 'Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance'..Great Book..Read it..)..Art is the Buddha in Human endevour..Its all down to the frame of mind of the artist at the time of writing..If they're doing it for the sake of doing it..For arts sake so to speak, At some stage, maybe not when you first hear it, but at some stage, you'll appreciate it..

If this sounds incredibly pretentious, or you think im just talking horsesh1te, whatever..

And yes, the new NIN rocks..and Ive been told by a few people, whos opinions i would respect, that the national rock ass too..yes, they're quite big now..but maybe its because they're quite good..and the kooks suck..Im not down with the deluge of groups/artists that have sprung up with their regional english accents since the success of the artic monkeys..Think Jamie T, Kate Nash..Those Monkeys rock though..

Rant over..Peace out..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

If they're doing it for the sake of doing it..For arts sake so to speak, At some stage, maybe not when you first hear it, but at some stage, you'll appreciate it..

couldn't agree more. that's a great book actually.

i grew tired a long time ago of hearing music that was being made purely as a vehicle for someone's career. You may have got away with it before but in this day and age, music should really only be made for the sake of the music.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

If this sounds incredibly pretentious, or you think im just talking horsesh1te, whatever..

No ! I think you're right!

Ever since my mate Alan played me 'Going Underground' by The Jam I've been enthralled by Music (as opposed to just enjoying it, beforehand)! I actually remember him putting the orange BASF tape into his £28 Ferguson mono cassette machine and thinking 'that's it I'm doing Music' .... life has been quite simple since.

However I'm always confused by the idea that a person can judge another persons intentions, the idea of judging an artist's 'integrity'.
    I see little point personally in going to the trouble of recording music without trying to get it heard - I think that's what separates a 'hobbyist' from an 'artist'.

To my mind the Classic Artists in the Rock era (and popular music before that) have all combined Music, Showmanship AND that most feared of words, Business.

The ones who have maintained that balance have prospered artistically as well as get sales.

The artists I enjoy as a rule have those 3 elements combined ....
    I don't think ambition is anything to be ashamed of.

I definitely agree that an understand of business has led to some of the biggest names

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

I have to say I find meself listening to all kinds of everything these days. I've spent the last 2 weeks compiling music and playlists onto our portable multimedia player thingy and it forced me to listen to stuff I would normally skip past. Quite an eye opening experience.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭squibs

Rory gallagher would think that the music production value has gone way to high
    Do you think so? I have heard a lot of tales of him being obsessive about the recording process, and as a result some of the studio albums sound a little clinical to me (as a big Rory fan).

Personally I listen to music a lot as an accompaniment to low-concentration tasks. Oddly enough I only listen to talk radio in the car. I'm a slave to my old favourites and it takes a lot to get a new band/act into my list of favourites. I admit maybe 3-5 a year.

I usually listen to mp3s, sometimes on the monitors sometimes on multimedia speakers, and a lot of them are encoded at 128kbs. And I generally just put the mp3 player on random shuffle.

I very seldom listen to music 'actively' outside the context of recording audio. The minute I do, I'm homing in on the bassline or the reverb tails to the exclusion of the rest of the song.

Advertisement