Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liveline talking about Airsoft again

Options
  • 09-05-2008 2:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭

Joe Duffy is talking about airsoft again, live on RTE One.
    Segment might be over now, but he had someone go into MIA.
    I just caught the end of it.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

Just caught some of it there.

A bus driver claiming his window was shot out? more rubbish.

He's Changed topic now

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

Shiva wrote: »
    Joe Duffy is talking about airsoft again, live on RTE One.
    Segment might be over now, but he had someone go into MIA.
    I just caught the end of it.

i also caught it from 2 o clock on , i thought it was the polish shop on capel st. he was on about.

To be fair the way they carried on after the guy on the radio left the shop ( a person working in the shop gave the man on the phone dogs abuse) was absolutely not on.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

didnt hear it

what happend?

anyone got a recording?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

horgan_p wrote: »
    To be fair the way they carried on after the guy on the radio left the shop ( a person working in the shop gave the man on the phone dogs abuse) was absolutely not on.

My pal Romano.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

sounds like somthing i wouldve loved to hear

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭Killinator

I just hate the way Joe acts like hes never heard of this kinda thing before!!!!!
    Also gotta love a guy coming on saying an airsoft gun shot out his bus windows despite seeing no-one with a gun(of any kind), not hearing anything and just jumping on the chance to get on the radio, because he was guarateed to get on, he was bashing airsoft guns after all,
    you know its bad when there talking about airsoft guns, not airsoft itself

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭AirsoftEire.com

To sum up, there was a caller standing outside the shop in Capel Street complaining about the products he was selling. He then went into the shop to have the retailer show him a pistol . He was then apparently asked to leave the shop and had abuse hurled at him live on air. All he was doing was trying to get an aggrevated response from the shop workers. He also incorrectly stated that they fired metal ball bearings.

Another caller complained of having been shot in the hand with a yellow pellet whilst driving, and other caller stated that a local bus had its windscreen smashed by some kind of projectile, despite not seeing anyone or anything hit the windscreen.

More inaccurate information in general about airsoft and airsoft equipment. Virtually everything mentioned today was more than likely a real airgun and hence a firearm.

Steve

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

think an email is in order to the show...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

think an email is in order to the show...
    wouldn't even bother to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭R123R

i missed the show any were i can hear it?and are they changing the law about them or any thing or just a discussion?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

changing them so that they can't break bus windows

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭R123R

so what lower the fps and the velocity?

Tigger wrote: »
    changing them so that they can't break bus windows

maybe they should make the windows outta the same stuff as our goggles, they do the trick:D

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Head_Hunter

Any airsoft device under 1J is incapable of breaking a window, especially a vehicle window!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Alvin T. Grey

R123R wrote: »
    so what lower the fps and the velocity?
    He was taking the micky

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Any airsoft device under 1J is incapable of breaking a window, especially a vehicle window!!!

When testing windscreen a 5Lb steel ball is dropped form more than 10Ft onto it, if the ball manages to pass through it, the batch of windscreens fail. Those numbers could be a bit low, I'm not sure, but the theory of it is sound.

So you know, airsoft guns and windscreens....

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭AirsoftEire.com

It wasn't even a case of whether it was an airsoft gun or not, the person rang up and assumed it was someone that shot at the bus. Like I said, the driver saw no-one at all! Ludicrous.

Steve

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

When testing windscreen a 5Lb steel ball is dropped form more than 10Ft onto it, if the ball manages to pass through it, the batch of windscreens fail. Those numbers could be a bit low, I'm not sure, but the theory of it is sound.

So you know, airsoft guns and windscreens....

And has a kinetic energy of approx 64.68 joules. (approx as I converted from imperial to metric)

Force would depend on the elasticity of the windscreen but the number above speaks for itself.

1 joule wont do it, our being alive after playing this sport is more evidence of that :)

Edit: assuming that is the energy a windshield can withstand, I'm sure its more than that.
    Sounds like more nonsense from Jdizzle and his cronies tbh.

Motosam wrote: »
    And has a kinetic energy of approx 64.68 joules.

Force would depend on the elasticity of the windscreen but the number above speaks for itself.

1 joule wont do it, our being alive after playing this sport is more evidence of that :)

Edit: assuming that is the energy a windshield can withstand, I'm sure its more than that.
    Sounds like more nonsense from Jdizzle and his cronies tbh.

But a guy who didnt see any gun or didnt find any bb's says it happened, thats proof enough for me, its obvious that airsoft is incredibly dangerous and i will no longer take part:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

Killinator wrote: »
    But a guy who didnt see any gun or didnt find any bb's says it happened, thats proof enough for me, its obvious that airsoft is incredibly dangerous and i will no longer take part:D

me too..

i personally am, and i have to say, outraged and disgusted no one, here, i REPEAT no one, here is thinking

WHAT ABOUT THE CHILDREN, FOR GAWDS SAKE THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Stone.cold

me too..

i personally am, and i have to say, outraged and disgusted no one, here, i REPEAT no one, here is thinking

WHAT ABOUT THE CHILDREN, FOR GAWDS SAKE THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
    there saying anyone can buy an airsoft product there is no control over them, any muppet can buy a set of darts, and from personnal experience i would rather get hit with a bb then a dart "BAN DARTS"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

I just shot about 2 dozen bb's at my window...they bounce quite nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭c-90

just ignore it if you try and defend the sport it makes it sound like they have valid points. thell have sometin new to moan about in a few days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Harekin

Iv found that even with a GBB thats been sitting in a warm place for a few hours the bbs actually break on the window, instead of breaking the window.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Spetzcong

Harekin wrote: »
    Iv found that even with a GBB thats been sitting in a warm place for a few hours the bbs actually break on the window, instead of breaking the window.

Broken BBs? jeebus, ban windows!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Spetzcong wrote: »
    Broken BBs? jeebus, ban windows!

+1 What are they good for!?!!?!
    They keep disease in is what they do! Rather than letting nature take its course and letting the wind take it out the window.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭Real Steyr Dave

I think the fact that people call into Joe Duffy says a lot about their grievances....THEY DON'T MATTER and no-one else will waste time on them.

Ok, sometimes Duffy gets calls from people talking about serious stuff.....but this?? Sounds like the bus driver should be out driving his bus instead of flapping his gums down the phone. I agree with the above; point- any attempt to defend Airsoft in the same Forum will be stonewalled and turned on. Why bother lending credence to the impotent splutterings of the ignorant?

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭dresden8

Duffy is a fool.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

dresden8 wrote: »
    Duffy is a fool.

Comments like that put both boards.ie and yourself at risk of legal action.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Alvin T. Grey

Comments like that put both boards.ie and yourself at risk of legal action.

Only if it's demonstrably false.:D

Advertisement