Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Terrorist type camo/rags?? + themed skirimish

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Spetzcong

I think it's being a bit OTT to avoid wearing Arab headscarves when portraying a terriorst/rebel/freedom fighter load out for fear of offending our muslim bretherin. Just because you are going for a particular look i.e. that of a middle eastern terrorist doesn't mean that you believe all Arabs, or even all muslims are terrorists, in saying that I think there are far more interesting (although possibly equally as controversial) groups you could look to emulate, perhaps an eastern european rebel group.

Part of the fun of airsoft is the suspension of reality and a bit of dressing up and having a laugh, I wear british DPM, that doesn't mean that I'm in the british army, it also doesn't mean that I think all british people are soldiers, even though I wear their countries BDU and sometimes carry an SA80 (although I have gotten a bit of slagging about that).

At the end of the day its a game, we play it to have fun, the politics and ideaologies behind the uniforms we wear has little or nothing to do with the sport itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

Correct spelling of the word Terrorist ...Terrorist.
    Latest outfit?rig? ...jeep Wranger(might have been other make, hard to tell, it was on fire and parked in Airport Lobby)
    Accessories required ...Rucksack/Gas Cylinder.
    Attire (optional) ...Levi's/ Blue shirt.
    Favoured AEG/GBB ...None, not required.

Just goes to show that there are many misconceptions about the appearance of a terrorist. I personally have no problem with peoples need to bring more realisim to the game, in fact it is only to be applauded.

I just ask that there be awareness as to the expected impressions given to the non Airsofters looking in. This runs quite closely to the bone of the earlier thread to do with a certain WWII outfit.

Its more about the negative impressions picked up by Joe Public, and I'm sure we can all recall the amount of negetivity and rowing it caused in this forum.

Iceage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭Shiva

iceage wrote: »

Its more about the negative impressions picked up by Joe Public, and I'm sure we can all recall the amount of negetivity and rowing it caused in this forum.

Agreed. I personally wouldnt be offended by any of the above, I'd say the majority of Muslims wouldnt bat an eyelid, and all in all it'd be great craic.

The problem is, as Doc pointed out, the media-hungry "representatives" of any ethnic groups will always find a reason to be appalled, disgusted, upset, shamed etc, etc.....and they'll ALWAYS find a sleazy rag to print their statements, push their agenda and generate controversy. And controversy is the one thing we should be trying to avoid.

And this has gone way off topic :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭JonAnderton

Without calling them terrorists, why not use the term OpFor?

Depending on the situatuion or the team/game, OpFor's can use a variety of uniforms/non uniforms and kit..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OPFOR

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭johnboyire

i think the middle east style terrorist/whatever "look" would be great in a mil-sim game,

as it seems that a large amount of people have u.s. uniforms/loadouts, its a case of too many cowboys and not enough indians,

having a game at one of the sites with one side being terrorists/freedomfighters would be a good idea, something different and would be great for game scenarios,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭c-90

theres no need to be so sensitive, would anybody here be offended if you saw airsofters in brittan prettending to be IRA? i wouldnt,and im sure it would be the same for muslims,germans or eastern europeans if airsofters here were playing al quidea,ww2 germans or eastern european terrorists. people arnt assertive enough these days.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

popcorn_10000.jpg

sits back, munches away, looks for cola....

yep and we are off....

awaiting inevitable repeat of last thread on this....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭budda15c

I think a terrorist loadout would be pretty cool, but if its realism your going for I think the best outfit, as iceage and many others have pointed out, would be a pair of levis and a t-shirt or even a smart shirt and a pair of trousers.. when was the last time a terrorist was seen walking down the street in any part of the western world, wearing any form of head - dress or ethnic clothing.. hell some of them were even educated in the west.. Timothy McVeigh (spelling???) was a terrorist and he wasnt of any minority, or didnt look or dress any differently to anyone else, modern terrorists dont necessarily stand out, they want to blend in and go unnoticed...

just my opinion on the subject, before it all snowballs:):):)

budda15c wrote: »
    Timothy McVeigh (spelling???) was a terrorist and he wasnt of any minority,

Yeah he was. The Mad as Sh*te minority :)

Shiva wrote: »
    Yeah he was. The Mad as Sh*te minority :)

ha ha, thats true:D:D but im not sure if thats a minority :D:D

• Advertisement

more reason for the OpFor term... It refers to the opposing Force, as used by US military trainers, not 'terrorists'.. I think from what I've read, people don't want to dress like terrorist's (or everyones perception of one), but insurgents and OpFors from particular conflicts...

Not only may it be insensitive to use the term 'terrorist Loadout', it may, in essence, be incorrect...

more reason for the OpFor term... It refers to the opposing Force, as used by US military trainers, not 'terrorists'.. I think from what I've read, people don't want to dress like terrorist's, but insurgents and OpFors from particular conflicts...

Not only may it be insensitive to use the term 'terrorist Loadout', it may, in essence, be incorrect...

+1 well said

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Frank the Manc

more reason for the OpFor term... It refers to the opposing Force, as used by US military trainers, not 'terrorists'.. I think from what I've read, people don't want to dress like terrorist's (or everyones perception of one), but insurgents and OpFors from particular conflicts...

what about this:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Milspec-Tactical-SWAT-Vest-w-Holster-COYOTE-VT-30-CB_W0QQitemZ270235464888QQihZ017QQcategoryZ36077QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1713.m153.l1262

with about 6 of these attached
    http://www.eirsoft.ie/store/product_info.php?cPath=25&products_id=61

that would hardly be incorrect or incorrect would it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

I don't think people are too seriously concerned about offending people with the actual kit, but I think there's some valid concern that folks might be using the term "terrorist" inappropriately, and in a manner that implies a slightly worrying insensitivity.

Yeah, I reckon I vote for the term "OpFor" too. Brings back fond Call of Duty memories.

And I actually love the idea, leaves a load of wiggle room for the loadout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭little buda

hang on there lads and ladys, lets stop the maddness, in my first post what my idea by "arab bandits" was more like dessart pirates turn raiders.
    i did'nt mean to open up a big can of worms. sorry if anyone got offened

all that aside all i wanted was to be the evel bad guy wether it be eastern looking ,cubain durg lord , italain maffia, irish gansters, german(hitler), ja-faa from stargate. yes they are all sterotypes and some people can get offened.

but come on guys did no body ever play cowboy and indains as kids, bet you did;) every one wanted to be a cowboy:pac:...:pac:...:pac:...:pac:, well this time i wanna be the indain!!:D(catch my drift)

i just wanna have a bit a crac thats all, no religion,no poilatacs. after all its just make belive

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

true-lies-dvd.jpg

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

I imagine a tango would wear whatever he had access to in military gear.

I'd just wear my regular gear and throw on a regular jacket instead of the cammo one and a balaclava and maybe use my ak47 for once.
    Hell I could leave on all the bdu and just use the balaclava, like a professional terrorist :D

Tango can be anything really, have you been tangoed? The battle cry when you are hit :D

Job done.

all that aside all i wanted was to be the evel bad guy

Louis Copeland. He can fit you out with a Bertie Ahearn suit ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

Cuban drug lord ftw! You must play with a big fat cigar in your mouth at all times though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

Scarface load out! - for that crazed drug lord look

scarface_million.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

I love it ^^^

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

Now we're thinking outside the box...love it!!! anybody got a spare pinstrip suit to lend?:cool:

I've heard of 'The Shield' loadout... sounds great for CQC or urban... why not?

S&W 4506's, Beretta 92F's and Cougars... and of course, Lems trusty shotty...bring it on!!!

Leather jacket and bald head required!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

S&W 4506's, Beretta 92F's and Cougars... and of course, Lems trusty shotty...bring it on!!!

well i have a bald head so i am half way there...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Cops and robbers anyone?

Cops and robbers anyone?

Reservoir dogs, Heat.... The idea's are endless for theme days..lol... altough i draw the line at Lazytown day

Gone are the days of repetative DPM... Viva La Revolution!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

would it be ott to suggest a terminator vs man themed game :P

or predators vs marines vs aliens :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

I've yet to see a terrorist wearing safety goggles or a face mask :D

All the ones I know dress like civies :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

me and a couple of friends that i skirmish with have had plans for a heat/hitman style load out for some time :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Necron99

Well I think you all need a lesson in what TERRORISM really is.

Please watch this short Orientation Video on it before commenting futher!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jdg0JFtGf_c :D
    :pac:*Note* "Ignore the voice over at the start" :pac:

Advertisement