Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what date is the warriors run on at?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

I dont run but i am reasonably fit. I want to take up running and would like to have something to aim for.

Does anyone think it would be possible for me to complete this race given the timeframe.

don't know tbh, i would usally strugle to run from one end to the other of the strand car back, but i suppose if you build up gradully a few evenings a week, taking in some off road as well considering the event, it would definatly be a start, the best one sto ask would probably be on the running forum

would love to do it my self, just started playing football recently as well, so hopefully that will help me as well, alltough the running in that is just usally short bursts, not contant for 10 miles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

Broken Arrows you can definately do it.
    Most people walk up the mountain so this actually gives the running muscles a breather, believe it or not even though youll still be working. Also the downhill gives you recovery. So you've got 3 sections. 6.5 k mountain (3k) and 5.5 k. If you can build yourself up to run for 10k min without stopping youll be able for it. There are loads of schedules online. Try to build up so that you can run for half an hour (4 times per week) relatively comfortably.
    Then extend one run to be longer than the others (this is the one that should build up to 10k min). Maybe also as you improve try and run the middle section of one of the shorter runs with more pace. Gradually add hills to some of the runs, especially the long one.

If you can do a bit of hillwwalking for the climb.

Make the running interesting as you improve: e.g for the craic substitute a run with a walk up knocknarea and jog down. (be careful) Run down steep bits with fast feet like descending a stairs and just relax and run comfortably for the lower slopes.

Training for this was discussed a bit on this thread last year.

HERE

I hope they have it up the glen again. The other way is OK but a very boring first half. Anti-Clockwise direction is arguably on of the beat 10 mile(ish) routes available anywhere in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭sobriquet

I'd say it's definitely doable. There's a little over three months to train for it.

I didn't run the whole thing last year, just wasn't up to it on the day, so it was run/walk/run/walk all the way, and I still came in at 1hr 40m. A mate did it in just under two hours, jogging solid for it.

Cheers for the link to the thread about last years race T Runner, some good info there - and fair play on your time - just over the hour! Savage. Chimp too, fair play, I'd be delighted to get under an hour twenty.

It's definitely not up the glen this time, going clockwise, had one of the organisers confirm that for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

T runner wrote: »

Blast from the past!

Hows Hail 2 Da Chimp!?

How are you fixed for this year?

Im working in Dublin but from Strandhill. I usually do some hill-training for the race on Knocknarea when Im home so Ive good local knowledge which helps all the Sligo people running of course.

Maybe if people are interested we could have an organised hill training for people on this thread some saturday morning from the knocknarea car-park a bit closer to the race, maybe a months time? Everyone welcome.

BrokenArrows, this could be a session for you to aim for. Get the runners out now and see what happens. For the first few runs, walk fast for 5-10 mins to get heartrate up and then jog easy at same intensity. When you start jogging then it wont be a shock to the system. If you need to stop running walk for a bit. And at end Walk for 5 to cool down. Try and stay going for 25-30 in total (including run)

But dont head me just get the runners on and head out!

• Advertisement

Maybe if people are interested we could have an organised hill training for people on this thread some saturday morning from the knocknarea car-park a bit closer to the race, maybe a months time? Everyone welcome.

I'd be on for that, fair play for offering.

I'd probably be on for that, sounds like a great idea.

Grand so,

Ill stick a post up about that when I have a date.

How about this Saturday at 10 am knocknarea carpark for some training for the Warriors Run? All abilities welcome. We can chat about different training for the race over a cup of tea and snack in the carpark if it suits, so bring a drink and a sandwich if it suits.
    Let me know if interested or If time is too early, I can change.

How about this Saturday at 10 am knocknarea carpark for some training for the Warriors Run?

I'm on for that, Saturday or whenever suits yourself and everyone. Cheers for offering, T runner.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Thats sounds like a good idea,
    Not sure how I will cope, doing about 5 miles on an up and down circuit at the mo, but will give it a lash, hopefully the weather behaves!

Good stuff Slideways. Fingers crossed for the weather.

It wont be that tough. We'll visit Queen Maeve and look at pacing the climb and a wee bit of technique for the descent. We can chat about other types of training that might be beneficial after.

Again, everyone welcome.

I see there is a team competition this year. Im already hooked up but might be good to get a boards team for the craic. Needs two fellas and two girls.

Sounds like a plan - I won't be in Sligo this weekend, had a go at it last weekend and it kicked my ass.
    Let me know if ye're planning on meeting up again!

Chimp, If it works out tommorrow there should be another one. Ill post the next time Im down and maybe the others might be on for more in the meantime.

Just occurred to me that its the summer equinox tommorrow. Good morning to have a pagan or two running around the Cairn I guess!

Anyone else interested in a bit of hill training for Warriors run or in general are welcome to attend. All standards welcome.

Sobriquet, Slideways: See ye tommorrow, 10 am Knocknarea carpark.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

not to be pedantic but it's the summer solstice - equinox are in the spring and fall.

Sobriquet, Slideways: See ye tommorrow, 10 am Knocknarea carpark.
    Which car park is that?
    Been years since i was up knocknarea, is it at the top or are you on about somewhere in strandhill?

I'm assuming it's this one. See ye tomorrow!

I know it is prob too late to be telling ye guys this but i wont be able to make it this sat, I have had to come in to work and cover for one of the lads who rang in sick.
    Hopefully next time.

Aye, we figured as much and ploughed ahead anyway. I can't thank T runner enough, he's a gent and it's an invaluable session from someone who really knows their stuff.

Looking forward to the next one, hope to see ye all there.

Sorry about that, I hope ye didnt wait too long...
    Will organise phone numbers for the next time

• Advertisement

Slideways, no problem at all-- we only waited a few minutes cause we knew the warm up waould take us past the carpark after 10-15 minutes anyway so we would have met you there again.

There was no-one around except a tent up above near the Cairn. They must have been there for the summer Solstice. There was no sign of life so I hope for their sakes they remembered the alarm! Hopefully they just stayed up for the sunrise though.

It was a good session and well do it again in a few weeks. Might have one or two more from outside the thread aswell so well have a good group.

Its worth getting used to going up that hill. We jogged until the steep bit at the gate and walked from there. Only takes less than 8 minutes to walk up from there so that was good to know.

Ill PM you and we can swap numbers etc for next time.

Only 27 days left to go... How's the training going?
    I did 8 miles on Saturday but have done very little hill work.

I'm happy to say mine's going pretty well. I've been on the mountain about four or five times and getting comfortable with it, especially after some great advice and help from T Runner.

Would like to get up there again this weekend if anyone's on for it.

I may be able to go this weekend but I'm heading for the Galway races... So it probably won't be Sat.
    May get there on Monday though...

Not going to be able to make it down before the run unfortunately.
    Best of luck with the training in the meantime everyone. Not far now, just over two hard weeks training and then its time to ease up for the week before the race.

Might have a bit of a preview for the overall race. Was travelling in Wales with a group that included a Dublin based Scotsman who is also a mountain runner and previous winner of the Ben Nevis race. He had a huge tussle with the legendary John Lenihan (Former world champion and 6 times warriors run winner) back in 2004. He even managed to beat Lenihan in his own back yard on Carrauntoohil. Even though he is 15 years younger than Lenihan this is still a huge achievement (Lenihan has won that race 16 times) and this lad is made from the same stuff as Lenihan. The Scotsman (John Brooks) intends to turn out in Strandhill.

These 2 ferocious Competitors are due to lock horns this saturday in the Annual Croagh Patrick race. It could be the curtain raiser for a massive battle on Knocknarea. Lenihan does not intend to Race the warriors run as he is due to race in a selection race for the Irish team for the worlds around the warriors run date.
    A win on Croagh Patrick though may give him automatic qualifying and if this happens and he learns his foe (on field only) is racing in Sligo the stage could be set!
    Word has it that should it be possible for west sligo man Emmet Dunleavy to race he is determined to record his first win.
    Two times winner Zoe Melling will be hoping to make it a hatrick of wins and she is a pretty definate starter.
    Anyway the place to be on the 24th of August is either Strandhill itself or, if you want to see 2 or 3 world class mountain runners climbing and descending at breakneck speeds, then the best vantage point is just after the gate half way up knocknarea at 3.15. (leave mountain carpark at 2.55)

It could be the curtain raiser for a massive battle on Knocknarea.

Jaysus. For those of us more accustomed to plodding along at the back of the field (leading a trail of black smoke) you'd never guess that all that's going on at the top of the field.

Hope Snowdon went well for you, best of luck with the connaught championship.

Chimp, I'd forgotten Monday was a bank holiday, if you're on for meeting up then or Sat morning let me know, my usual training partner is away. I'm still nursing a hope of heading to a field in Leitrim for the Mantua festival but might yet be foregoing that...

sobriquet wrote: »
    Chimp, I'd forgotten Monday was a bank holiday, if you're on for meeting up then or Sat morning let me know, my usual training partner is away. I'm still nursing a hope of heading to a field in Leitrim for the Mantua festival but might yet be foregoing that...

I think I'll have to give it a miss this time Sobriquet, as I'm still not sure if I'll get out on Monday, definitely going to the races in Galway so I wont be around Saturday / Sunday.
    I may not even be in Sligo Monday either... But if you see someone passed out at the bottom of the mountain, call an ambulance it'll be me! :D

How have you been getting on with the mountain runs? Have you done the full distance yet?
    How long is the mountain part taking you?
    I have done SFA hill runs, was planning one today but I'm working late.

No problem man, not sure if I'll get up there myself either. I've not yet done the full distance, planning on doing the road section later this week if I can work it. I think I need to get it into the legs, looking at the elevation data there's a lot of work in it itself.

I'm doing fairly well on the mountain itself, I've come on a lot since getting in that session with T Runner - not least gotten a lot more confident coming down. In terms of time I think it's about 22/23 minutes from the carpark and back, though I'm not 100% on that.

I'm doing the Streets of Galway on Saturday week but other than that I'm free most evenings if you want to meet up to tackle it.

Any one around on Monday?
    I ran into 1 or 2 people I was wondering were any of them boardsies?
    Ran the full course, walked the mountain part. Took 1:37 :eek: need to get my ass in gear!

• Advertisement

Any one around on Monday?
    I ran into 1 or 2 people I was wondering were any of them boardsies?
    Ran the full course, walked the mountain part. Took 1:37 :eek: need to get my ass in gear!

No, though I was running by the mountain yesterday, past the wood at rathcarrick and back into town. Going to do a couple more hill or full road section sessions by the end of next week though.

Advertisement