Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving without a full-licensed driver?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Well in the US, they're taught in school how to drive, and then can drive from 16 upwards... and considering it's size, there's a lot more test centres than there are over here. Public transport would be better too.Also I think (note: think) that in the US, learner drivers don't need anyone with them..however they do have time/passenger restrictions. Open to correction :)

I don't know where abouts you are, but tbh, there's no bus service running later on in the day/night. It's not like dublinbus every 5 mins. Taxi's are a major pita, but still it is there.. not really a good option at all if you want to travel a lot though. If you're going out a few nights a week with mates/gf/doing anything, a taxi 15~miles either way isnt going to be cheap.

TBH, you get better by practice, but really this law is limiting what practice you can actually get, so I don't think too highly of the idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Well in the US, they're taught in school how to drive, and then can drive from 16 upwards... and considering it's size, there's a lot more test centres than there are over here. Public transport would be better too.

Am I reading this right? Are you saying public transport in the US is better then here? Cus I can tell you it ain't. New York is the only major city with a decent 24 hour public transport system. Other large cites have subways or tram systems but they don't cover all the city, few run very late, most of the equipment is very outdated and its costly. Once you go outside very large cities you are screwed. Lived in New Jersey for a while and its a nightmare trying to get anywhere by foot or bus. Just got back from staying with friends in Portland and Seattle and they were bitching about how gas prices had gone up and they couldn't get anywhere without a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

I got my test and failed it twice, I don't speed ever as I feel its wrong to do so(I sound like a krank) and Had the cost of approx 20 lessons and the fee of 2 tests, Was annoyedd wen i faied first so i said id try anothre instructor and i got lessons from him, both said I'd pass but I think its cos im young! I'm very annoyedd with RSA, know many people, some friends who race on public roads and everything that go do their test 1st time and they pass and the law abiding ones are failed. its such a deterront. I booked my test again last week but if I fail again I would be in the slightest bit happy to say the lease... And I am a good driver too:rolleyes: but im not a boy racer r anything!!!!

Ah-Watch wrote: »
    I got my test and failed it twice, I don't speed ever as I feel its wrong to do so(I sound like a krank) and Had the cost of approx 20 lessons and the fee of 2 tests, Was annoyedd wen i faied first so i said id try anothre instructor and i got lessons from him, both said I'd pass but I think its cos im young! I'm very annoyedd with RSA, know many people, some friends who race on public roads and everything that go do their test 1st time and they pass and the law abiding ones are failed. its such a deterront. I booked my test again last week but if I fail again I would be in the slightest bit happy to say the lease... And I am a good driver too:rolleyes: but im not a boy racer r anything!!!!

TBH, If you're failing then there's a reason for it, and I highly doubt it's that you're a law abiding citizen, or young. You know what reasons you failed for before, so fix them.. You may be a good driver (or think that you are), but unless you fix what you're doing wrong in the test, you won't pass. I don't think anyone bar yourself is to blame here. Fix what you're doing wrong in the tests, and you'll pass..

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

To say the reason you're not passing is because your young is just incorrect, you're not passing because your driving is not up to the standard set by the test. As said before you need to work on what you messed up on before and if yur driving instructor is not up to par, change.
    The reason your friends pass is because they knew, or know how to drive on test day, that is all it takes, unfortunately, so your friends, crazy and unsafe drivers regularly just knew how to drive to pass the test.

• Advertisement

Ok from the start Im 18 and driving a 05 1.9tdi passat, it has red boy racer looking seat covers in it. The first time I did my test a dog ran accross the road-I slowed down but still got a stright disqualifation for it. When I got back to the testing office the man siad I should've pressed on the breaks -ie slam on it-and then said I should've went out around him. The second time I got marked too many x's! I dont know like I thought my instructor was very good but said I'd get another persons experience, and both said I should've passed! feel free to still disagree-:pac: but I still think I was given a negative image for driving a very powerful passat, seat covers and only being 17! I dont know but I'm sick of the costs!!!!!

So first time, you did something wrong and got disqualified. You probably won't make the same mistake again.

Second time you made too many mistakes. Fix what you did wrong.

Testers don't discriminate over you/car/etc, they might not be impressed, but it's their job to mark fairly to the standard they should. You made errors, and you admit to it. It's only YOUR fault. If you've such a problem with the cost of things, then fix your errors.. They don't fork out errors in the exam for what way your car looks/boy racer image. You're just starting to think that way because you're annoyed you failed (imo). Accept that you made the mistakes and work on fixing them for next time.

okok!;) hopefully ill pass the next time anyway!:confused::cool: tnx lads

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Peleus

The first time I did my test a dog ran accross the road-I slowed down but still got a stright disqualifation for it. When I got back to the testing office the man siad I should've pressed on the breaks -ie slam on it-and then said I should've went out around him.

If you slowed down enough not to hit the dog, i don't see how should be disqualified. It's probably safer to slow down steadily to avoid the dog than to slam on the breaks and try to steer out of its way. maybe they were looking for anything to disqualify you.

you should do your test in a suit and in one of the test cars. or just take away the seat covers and stick a cross on your rearview mirror. at least then, theyd want to pass you.

Peleus wrote: »
    If you slowed down enough not to hit the dog, i don't see how should be disqualified. It's probably safer to slow down steadily to avoid the dog than to slam on the breaks and try to steer out of its way. maybe they were looking for anything to disqualify you.

you should do your test in a suit and in one of the test cars. or just take away the seat covers and stick a cross on your rearview mirror. at least then, theyd want to pass you.

I thought the same thing, I slowed down enough without slamming on the breaks etc.... but I said what if the car behind me hits me-hopefully it wont was the reply... I was dressed in Black trouser and a tommy hilfigir top, hoped itd work but it didnt haha, I h8 the seat covers as I thnk i'd be stopped easier but my father got them on offer and refuses to take them off, i took them off before and spend almost 2 hours tring to put them back on so i passed on taking them off....

I think ill do the test in a micra or a fiesta, looks better than a passat!:)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I thought the same thing, I slowed down enough without slamming on the breaks etc.... but I said what if the car behind me hits me-hopefully it wont was the reply... I was dressed in Black trouser and a tommy hilfigir top, hoped itd work but it didnt haha, I h8 the seat covers as I thnk i'd be stopped easier but my father got them on offer and refuses to take them off, i took them off before and spend almost 2 hours tring to put them back on so i passed on taking them off....

I think ill do the test in a micra or a fiesta, looks better than a passat!:)

You'd be wasting your time changing car, they really dont care what car you drive. It's about how you drive. The testers will know that a lot of young drivers are driving parents cars etc. I can't really comment on the situation with the dog, as i haven't a clue about the details. But in a situation on a main road if a dog was in the middle of the road i would brake relatively hard, ie not slamming on the brakes, but not just touching them either, and i would not swerve.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Pretty sure correct procedure would be to hit the dog rather than slam on the brakes and possibly put someone behind you in danger. Not that thats what I'd end up doing. :/

ciaran 500 i thought the same thing that id be putting someone in danger and possibly myself and raisedd it with him and thats when he said i should swerve which makes no sense as I'd probably hit the person in the oncoming traffic... anyhow its over and done with now.... thanks lads for your views made me think more about what car to do my test in!:confused:;)

Ciaran500 wrote: »
    Pretty sure correct procedure would be to hit the dog rather than slam on the brakes and possibly put someone behind you in danger. Not that thats what I'd end up doing. :/

just to note i did state i wouldn't "slam" on my brakes, but there's no rule that says you must run the dog over, do slow down and if the dog doesnt move or if you can't safely stop then, unfortunately yes doggy will take a knock.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

token56 wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind all this if they sorted out the waiting times for the testing. They say that the times are coming down, however this is not what I experienced. Failed the test once in January of this year and got this test after waiting 15 weeks. The day I failed I applied again, I now got a date for my second test, over 25 weeks after I applied in January, its rediculous as the waiting time on the website back in january said 15 weeks. It know says 8 weeks which is also ludicrious. Sorry that this rant is off topic

I failed my test in March and reapplied the same day. I had a date within 6 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

Ciaran500 wrote: »

This happened to be during a lesson. I saw the hazard and slowed down steadily. As a result the cars behind me were also given time to slow down and didn't have to slam on their brakes. I flicked on my hazards for a second too. I asked my instructor about it and he said that it was the right thing to do as slamming on the brakes, or swerving, causes a hazard. Slowing down steadily is the safest option.

On my test a dog ran out in front of me again. I slowed down, flicked on my hazards to indicate that something was up to the cars behind me and then drove on when the dog went by. Didn't get a mark on my sheet for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭zig

I wish they would change it so if you had your test booked and proof of that then you were exempt , a bit like having proof that your nct is booked.
    I know it kind of defeats the purpose of the whole thing but its just I think they should have had at least a year of improved waiting lists before they brought this in, not 3 or months. I failed mine a month ago, ive only got the cash now to book again and get more lessons, and im gonna have to try get the test outside working hours. All this within the next month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

I'm really worried about this. I need to get a car soon and will have a learner permit. I genuienly have nobody to help me. My parents have passed away and I have no brothers or sisters. I will obviously be paying for lessons (I had some in the past) but without some practice on my own I'll probably never be in a position to do a test. I'm female and in my late 20's.

sunnyside wrote: »
    I'm really worried about this. I need to get a car soon and will have a learner permit. I genuienly have nobody to help me. My parents have passed away and I have no brothers or sisters. I will obviously be paying for lessons (I had some in the past) but without some practice on my own I'll probably never be in a position to do a test. I'm female and in my late 20's.

Well unfortunately it's just how things are. Perhaps coming up to your test you could ask friends to accompany you so you could get some practise in. Test dates can be gotten in under 10 weeks these days(On average test dates are gotten in 8.2 weeks), so you should be able to get your test quickly. In a way, a reliance on lessons will ensure absolutely no bad habbits can be developed, which should give you a very good chance of passing first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,964 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

sunnyside wrote: »
    but without some practice on my own I'll probably never be in a position to do a test. I'm female and in my late 20's.
    Many people pass driving tests in vehicles that they do not have themselves. They can only practise during lessons and therefore do not pick up any bad habits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,941 ✭✭✭✭Stark

zig wrote: »
    I wish they would change it so if you had your test booked and proof of that then you were exempt , a bit like having proof that your nct is booked.

They introduced the system of having to book a test before getting your 3rd of subsequence provisional licenses under the misguided belief that "if we make them book enough tests, then surely they'll have to pass sometime". It didn't work.
    zig wrote: »
    I know it kind of defeats the purpose of the whole thing but its just I think they should have had at least a year of improved waiting lists before they brought this in, not 3 or months. I failed mine a month ago, ive only got the cash now to book again and get more lessons, and im gonna have to try get the test outside working hours. All this within the next month.

The law has always been there and there was plenty of warning that they would be enforcing it. What do you expect them to do? You've already failed the competency test, are they supposed to let you drive on your own anyway?

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

Advertisement