Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

L.C History

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭BarryDoodles

Are 6 pages necessary? I got an A1 (93%) in my Sinn Fein essay on the Pre and I only did 3 1/2 pages. Just use smaller paragraphs.

I'd prefer to trust an SEC Advisor and head examiner. Ltes just say i hope their wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 44 jediyoda

some useful irish and european history essays here.

http://www.geocities.com/athlonelaura/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

I got a B1 with 2 essays barely hitting 3 pages and one which was 2 and a half pages.

I don't think 9 and a half extra pages would have been necessary to get me an A1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Riotguy

From what I've heard great length is only required in English where examiners are often hesitant to dish out As, and where one has to really convince they're worth it.

Our History teacher has recommended numerous paragraphs e.g. 10 or even 11 but has never even discussed ideal length.

Personally, I think detail and informed, valid comment is much more important than sheer length.

Again, I got an A2 in English and wrote about 8/9 pages per paper.

Across the board it's 100% quality over quantity.

As George Bernard Shaw (though I've seen it attributed to Mark Twain, Blaise Pascal and other writers in different places) wrote in a letter to a friend: "I'm sorry this is such a long letter, but I didn't have time to write a shorter one."

It's a lot easier to write pages and pages of crap than something concise and comprehensive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 diagirl

Personally I am just not able to write a 6 page essay in 40 minutes, I average around 4 to 4 1/2 pages and regularly get high marks. Its absolutely all about quality, not your ability to waffle on for pages and pages!

Question: For the D+D topic d'ye lot think I'd be grand just studying Hitler, Russia and the events of WW2? It covers 2 case studies, but my teacher is pushing us to learn Britain, France etc as well and I simply don't have the time, all my history revision is being taken up with the 1870-1912 book...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

The marking scheme for History is 12 marks max per paragraph, up to 60 altogether.. So you could bet away with five (INCLUDING Intro and conclusion) if youre a history god. Which no one is. So an Intro, conclusion and 5 paragraphs is enough I suppose.

As regards quality, you will be hit in the 40 mark section. Quantity if what they want for the 60.

I think the logic behind telling a class to write 6 pages per essay is that they're more likely to pick up the 60 marks that way. All those 3 and 4 mark paragraphs add up....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭boobookitty

Hasn't it been said that no one has gotten 12 marks? 10 at the most I think. Well, we were all told to have 7 paragraphs? (intro, 5 main points and a conclusion). So, personally, I'm going to do the intro, start a point but make several short (8-9 lines) paragraphs of the 5 points to maximise marks.

But if you are able to write 6 pages in the exam in the time recommended (42), I applaud you. I could do it in English or something but not in this!

By the way, aren't they increasing the time for the History exam? Something like an extra 20 minutes! :D

If anyone would like to help me in History, I'd appreciate it. :confused: We're doing D&D Topic3 European and it's my weakest part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Imallin9989

JC 2K3 wrote: »
    Again, I got an A2 in English and wrote about 8/9 pages per paper.

Across the board it's 100% quality over quantity.

As George Bernard Shaw (though I've seen it attributed to Mark Twain, Blaise Pascal and other writers in different places) wrote in a letter to a friend: "I'm sorry this is such a long letter, but I didn't have time to write a shorter one."

It's a lot easier to write pages and pages of crap than something concise and comprehensive.

Oh god !! im sorry but I have seen you on a few threads and you sound really irratating.. Sorry I just couldn't help myself!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Fuascailt

History? An easy A? Bah, humbug. I adore the subject, i have an amazing teacher, but it has to be one of the most ridiculous exams in the leaving cert. We have about half the course done, and won't be doing any more, because it would be physically impossible to do everything on the course to an A1 standard. I generally write about 5, pages, but i have friends that can do eight, admitedly their writing is bigger. My writing is average, a girl in my class with tiny writing writes about three and a half to get the full 60.

By the way, people do get twelves. Our treacher gave us an essay they corrected at the correctors conference, the person got ONE HUNDRED AND TWELVE in their content in an essay on Stalin. They got something like 98% over all. We decided they were just a freak of nature.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭gaybitch

Can you believe we don't even get three hours? I know our course is a lot easier than the previous History course, but the amount of writing is still hard on a lot of people.

I write about four and a half or five pages. But I'm absolutely drained after a History exam. If you don't know the stuff, you don't have time to think about it, really, you just have to power ahead writing or you won't get time to finish. That's what I think will be most difficult.

Anyway, as I've said before in other history threads, my teacher has left out some topics. I haven't really got a definitive answer on this yet, and since we have some people close to examiners etc in our midst, I thought I'd ask again!

We've left out:

Red Book, Movements for Reform
    University Education, Religious stuff

Navy Book, Dic and Democ
    France, Lenin, American Pop Culture, Jarrow March

Green Book, Sov and Partition
    Eucharistic Congress, Belfast under the Blitz, Culture Language etc

Yellow Book, America and Wider World
    We left out everything but Vietnam, Montgomery and Moon Landings, which should be okay, but there are a lot of key personalities there I'm worried about.

It's just so much to leave out... Am I okay?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭The Walsho

gaybitch wrote: »

We've left out:

Yellow Book, America and Wider World
    We left out everything but Vietnam, Montgomery and Moon Landings, which should be okay, but there are a lot of key personalities there I'm worried about.

It's just so much to leave out... Am I okay?

Careful with these, the contextualisation question may require a good knowledge of what happened before/after the case study. For example, How important was the Bus Boycott in the civil rights movement?

Oh god !! im sorry but I have seen you on a few threads and you sound really irratating.. Sorry I just couldn't help myself!!
    Hmm.. you're that person who kept replying to my perfectly coherent points in the thread about English and learning off essays with "yor argumnet doesnt maek any sense!!!1111".

I can see how you might get frustrated and irritated easily. It's ok, just take long, deep breaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭gaybitch

Stop arguing in the History thread. And the English thread. Just stop arguing!

Yeah we've done bits and pieces of context for Montgomery, but I'm focusing on Vietnam. I'd love if an esclatation Q came up in the documents for Vietnam! The documents section is the one I'm least worried about at the moment - I'm just worried about the other books. I mean if in Dic and Democ the four questions were Jarrow March, France, Americanisation and Lenin... then I just literally couldn't answer anything. :(

Honestly, you don't seem to have left out much, although...

I would have considered prioritising topics like the Eucharistic Congress and Anglo-American Popular Culture just because people seem to fancy them as likely questions this year.

Then again, we all know that's not guaranteed so, basically, you're fine if you've covered all you've said you've covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,202 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

i have these exam & career guides that our history teacher ordered in for us. Written by the people that set our papers and for the history section, looks very likely that it'll be Stalin and show trials and for Irish soverignity, looks likely to be on the treaty negotiations. They're the only two they did sample answers on so not sure about any other topics but anyway !

^ That's made me a LOT happier.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭titan18

For the people who think they need to write 6 pages an essay,ye better have really big writing because theres no way you need to write that much.My teacher is one of the 3 head examiners or wahtever they be called and he says 3 pages.Intro,conclusion and 5 paragraphs.Thats all you need if you can write accurately,which is what history is about.Accurate information and quality information.Forget about the content.You have 40 minutes an essay.To write 6 pages at aroung 10 words a line has to be impossible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭ateam

Wo 6 pages isn't possible in the time limit. That teacher is obviously just saying that to scare the students into learning more. 4 pages is enough, that's 8 to 10 paragraphs, don't be complacent and only have 5 paragraphs, try aim for 9, roughly half a page each.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 delighted.

I've read every post here, and I am so delighted that a couple of people have said they're sure Treaty Negotiations are coming up. We watched a film on it, a documentary on it, and just learned it well as a result. :]
    I'm also hoping for parnell so much.
    & then just a bitta hitler/mussolini.
    that'd be the perfect paper. the pre came fairly close!

Hi, going through the pre paper and looking at the Show Trials question. How would you get 7 paragraphs out of that?

It seems to be a hot topic this year...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Fuascailt

Why did he start the show trials, what did they involve, and what impact they had. Theres plenty in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

If anyone has done an essay on the Eucharistic Congress could you tell me what you wrote about?, because I barely made two pages with my essay, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭The Walsho

If anyone has done an essay on the Eucharistic Congress could you tell me what you wrote about?, because I barely made two pages with my essay, thanks.

Same here. Essay was about how they promoted a sense of collective identity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭whatsyourquota

I did history last year and i think you should definatly be aiming for between 5 and 6 pages with averagish writing because you can get examiners who are unwilling to give out marks. In one of my pres i write a 4 and a half page essay with nine paragraphs and only got a content mark of 53 which is pretty ridiculous but i suppose they can only give out so many A's...

1) If I wrote an essay with about 9-10 paragraphs, and I got 7 for each paragraph, will I be marked

10 x 7 = 70 (so, I'd get 60/60 in cm)

How does it work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭dip

Yeah that's right, the max CM is 60 marks and most likely you'll end up with 70-80, so you'll get full marks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Developments in Anglo American Popular Culture during the inter war years 1919-1939.

Learn it. It's easy.

I am tipping that to make a grand appearance :cool:

• Advertisement

K4t wrote: »
    Developments in Anglo American Popular Culture during the inter war years 1919-1939.

Learn it. It's easy.

I am tipping that to make a grand appearance :cool:

I'm doing that too! I HOPE IT comes up again (was in the pre).
    I'm now doing :
    AA Pop Culture
    Show Trials
    and Hitler (and Musso church state)

Thanks dip! :) I'm feeling better now.

Advertisement