Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

i got bagged the next day!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6wNDi9KdMw

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭chalad07

I think a lot of people are being overly harsh on the OP. In the perfect world no-one would ever have to drive the day after drinking, but that's not going to happen. He was more responsible than a lot of people I know would have been, it just seems that he was really unlucky,

Something doesn’t sit right with me about what happened - it's not these kind of people that cause the destruction on the roads, although it always seems to be them who get punished,

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Sparky14

Would like to see how many drink related accidents happen between 8-12 in the morning. Just be interested, ready to be corrected but can't imagine many accidents are caused by driving the day after drinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭Conar

Sparky14 wrote: »
    Would like to see how many drink related accidents happen between 8-12 in the morning. Just be interested, ready to be corrected but can't imagine many accidents are caused by driving the day after drinking.

Aren't the RSA always saying its one of the most dangerous times?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭Conar

Just found a related RSA article:
    http://www.rsa.ie/NEWS/News/One_in_Five_Morning_After_Crashes_Alcohol_Related.html
    21% of fatal road crashes that happen between 6AM and 12 noon are alcohol related. That’s according to previously unpublished findings from a Health Service Executive report , Alcohol in Fatal Road Crashes in Ireland in 2003.

The report confirms that the ‘morning after’ is a real danger zone for drink driving related death and injury on Irish roads. It also identified Monday morning as a particularly high-risk period for drink driving related ‘morning after’ crashes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Sparky14

Conar wrote: »

Find it pretty surprising, but that seems like reasonable evidence alright, considering you're never gonna get a truely independent survey on these kind of issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

kizzyr wrote: »
    A good place to start with the "drink less" would to be take the amount the OP had over the weekend and at least halve it. Excessive alcohol consumption is not necessary to have a good time. In fact some would even say it inhibits it. That amount of alcohol is extremely bad for your liver to mention just one thing.
    Why is it always believed to be the government's responsibility to tell us exactly how much we can drink and still get away with driving? We complain about the nanny state yet still expect to be given a blow by blow detailed analysis of exactly how much any one of us can drink and still stay within the law when driving. Anyone with an iota of basic cop on would have (or should have) felt that they were pushing it drinking that much and driving the next day.

You need to join the Preaching forum or lock yourself in a cupboard. Your contribution to this thread is completely worthless as you are clearly opposed to drinking.

Ban alcohol i say.

A few points well made in this forum

1. People are not aware of how long it takes for alcohol to leave their system, thereby there is confusion about "when" one should get behind the wheel
    2. The is conflicting stories told about how much time it takes for alcohol to leave ones sytem
    3. Home use breathalyser tests tend to be hit and miss
    4. Stories like this, despite their arguably unfair outcomes, serve to warn us all of the risks.

What I take from it is;
    There is a bloody good opening in the market for a quality home breathalyser kit and not a mickey mouse thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭kizzyr

chump wrote: »
    You need to join the Preaching forum or lock yourself in a cupboard. Your contribution to this thread is completely worthless as you are clearly opposed to drinking.

Ban alcohol i say.

A few points well made in this forum

1. People are not aware of how long it takes for alcohol to leave their system, thereby there is confusion about "when" one should get behind the wheel
    2. The is conflicting stories told about how much time it takes for alcohol to leave ones sytem
    3. Home use breathalyser tests tend to be hit and miss
    4. Stories like this, despite their arguably unfair outcomes, serve to warn us all of the risks.

What I take from it is;
    There is a bloody good opening in the market for a quality home breathalyser kit and not a mickey mouse thing.

Why? Because I don't believe it necessary to get s1hit faced to enjoy a night out? If that is considered preaching then I can live with that. I'm just glad that I don't feel myself that lacking in the ability to talk to someone, have fun and enjoy myself, that I need to get stupidly drunk.
    I have nothing against alcohol in and of itself I do however have a problem with excessive consumption of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Golferx

chalad07 wrote: »
    I think a lot of people are being overly harsh on the OP. In the perfect world no-one would ever have to drive the day after drinking, but that's not going to happen. He was more responsible than a lot of people I know would have been, it just seems that he was really unlucky,

Something doesn’t sit right with me about what happened - it's not these kind of people that cause the destruction on the roads, although it always seems to be them who get punished,

And it's excuses like this that are the reason we have a drink driving problem. This excuse for what was an idiotic thing done by the OP is pathetic.

Simple facts
    1. OP completely and excessively overdosed on alcohol to such an extent that he was still drunk the following day

2. Some people will excuse anything.

I'm delighted to hear the OP got caught. Maybe next time he'll be a bit more sensible and not think a few hours rest is sufficient to clear his system of the drugs he's consumed.

The various contributions to this topic show the pathetic alcohol-fuelled attitude Ireland has to enjoyment. Anyone who needs alcohol to have a good time is suffering from a form of alcoholism. Take some and enjoy it, but if you cannot enjoy a night out without it, you have a problem.

(As for the morning-after people? Apparently the Gardai are supposed to know who was a good boy the night before, who took taxis, etc. and are supposed to not breathalyse them the following morning, regardless of how much alcohol remains in their system. FFS)

Golferx wrote: »
    And it's excuses like this that are the reason we have a drink driving problem. This excuse for what was an idiotic thing done by the OP is pathetic.

Simple facts
    1. OP completely and excessively overdosed on alcohol to such an extent that he was still drunk the following day

2. Some people will excuse anything.

I'm delighted to hear the OP got caught. Maybe next time he'll be a bit more sensible and not think a few hours rest is sufficient to clear his system of the drugs he's consumed.

The various contributions to this topic show the pathetic alcohol-fuelled attitude Ireland has to enjoyment. Anyone who needs alcohol to have a good time is suffering from a form of alcoholism. Take some and enjoy it, but if you cannot enjoy a night out without it, you have a problem.

(As for the morning-after people? Apparently the Gardai are supposed to know who was a good boy the night before, who took taxis, etc. and are supposed to not breathalyse them the following morning, regardless of how much alcohol remains in their system. FFS)

Glad I'm not the only one who feels like this. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

With comments like what we have seen from kizzyr and Golferx it demostrates that some people take pleasure in the OP's scenario.

This thread isnt about whether or not you can have a good time consuming alcohol
    This thread isnt about Ireland's attitude to alcohol and social ireland

Whether or not anyone drinks or not does not give them more say or better judgement in this thread. Alcohol, rightly or wrongly, is part of irish lifestyle and culture and is sociall acceptable in many forms. We need to ensure we have appropriate measures in place to curb this. History has thought us that individuals cant bare this responsibilty alone.

I just cant understand why anyone would not support a notion for proper education and guidelines and thus help reduce the instances of drink driving on the roads and hopefully reduce accidents and fatalities as a result.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Why is it always believed to be the government's responsibility to tell us exactly how much we can drink and still get away with driving?

Because it will save lives. Its a joint responsibility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭thecaptain

This is a scam, one of many.

On a side issue, why did you not refuse to blow into the machine.

Who is anyone, wearing a uniform or not, to tell you to blow into a tube?????????

The day a garda asks me to blow, he'll be in for a long wait.

As for the rest of you, you lot have been domesticated. Good little sheep.

Ross_Mahon wrote: »
    The garda are everywhere lately, i think its that operation were they are trying to stop people driving on their provisional license.

You are right about that, they are everywhere.

However it is about scamming innocent people out of their cash, based on trivial "offences".

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭OrangeDaisy

thecaptain wrote: »

Who is anyone, wearing a uniform or not, to tell you to blow into a tube?????????

I wouldn't call myself a sheep.....just a law abiding citizen. I am thouroughly against drink-driving and would comply with whatever measures the gardai take to make sure the roads are safe to drive on

I wouldn't call myself a sheep.....just a law abiding citizen.

In Nazi Germany, the cops were not breaking any laws. Think about that.
    I am thouroughly against drink-driving and would comply with whatever measures the gardai take to make sure the roads are safe to drive on

People like you would comply with anyone who assumes a position of authority.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

You'd be taken to the station for refusing to give a sample. Remember they are random checks so if you've no drink taken, why refuse if it just going to cause delays for you?
    Come off it, you would not refuse. Hard man behind a keyboard eh?

I remember you from the EU forum; hate the capitalists, hate the gardai, most people are sheep?

Here is the site where you belong.

faceman wrote: »
    With comments like what we have seen from kizzyr and Golferx it demostrates that some people take pleasure in the OP's scenario.

This thread isnt about whether or not you can have a good time consuming alcohol
    This thread isnt about Ireland's attitude to alcohol and social ireland

Whether or not anyone drinks or not does not give them more say or better judgement in this thread. Alcohol, rightly or wrongly, is part of irish lifestyle and culture and is sociall acceptable in many forms. We need to ensure we have appropriate measures in place to curb this. History has thought us that individuals cant bare this responsibilty alone.

I just cant understand why anyone would not support a notion for proper education and guidelines and thus help reduce the instances of drink driving on the roads and hopefully reduce accidents and fatalities as a result.
    I have taken no pleasure from the OP's situation. He was over the limit and got caught and has been punished for his breaking the law. Excusing his behaviour is wrong.

You're really brave aren't you:rolleyes:
    In Nazi Germany, the cops were not breaking any laws. Think about that.

People like you would comply with anyone who assumes a position of authority.

Nazi Germany? Ireland is like Nazi Germnay? Grow up FFS

• Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭colly10

random wrote: »
    As part of the drink driving campaign we should all be provided with breathalisers so we can make sure we're ok to drive in the morning.

Totally agree, feel sorry for the OP on this one, people go out and drink the night before and go to the bother of getting the taxi home only to be caught the next day. There are too many factors to be considered when it comes to how long it takes to get out of your system and you could feel fresh as a daisy and still be well over the limit. He was well over after 11 and a half hours.

@the OP - Have alot of sympathy for ye but ye'd want to just forget about it now, **** happens, theres nothing thinking or talking about it's going to do now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭colly10

Conar wrote: »

I think that its 1 in 5 are alcohol related anyway so the above makes no difference. I would say the vast majority of alcohol related road deaths happen in the early hours of the morning at the weekend

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Golferx

That is so ridiculous. It sums up, yet again, a pathetic attempt to justify the excesses as described in the OP.

faceman, you need to open your mind.

micmclo wrote: »
    You'd be taken to the station for refusing to give a sample. Remember they are random checks so if you've no drink taken, why refuse if it just going to cause delays for you?
    Come off it, you would not refuse. Hard man behind a keyboard eh?.

How about cavity searches at checkpoints, you might have a few grams hidden somewhere, but sure if you have nothing to hide.
    micmclo wrote: »
    I remember you from the EU forum; hate the capitalists, hate the gardai, most people are sheep?

Here is the site where you belong.

Thats right, and I also hate:

*do gooders
    *politicians
    *greenies
    *busy bodies
    *PCP's (politically correct people)

I have taken no pleasure from the OP's situation. He was over the limit and got caught and has been punished for his breaking the law. Excusing his behaviour is wrong.
    That is so ridiculous. It sums up, yet again, a pathetic attempt to justify the excesses as described in the OP.

faceman, you need to open your mind.

I have never excused the OP's behaviour in any of my posts, in fact if you re-read this thread i commented that his punishment is/was justified. Yet again you miss the point.

Despite my efforts, i have been unable to get either of you to say that you support better education and guidance for the general public so that potentially fatal situations on the roads can be avoided. None of your comments offer any suggestion on how we can avoid repeats of similar situations to the OP other than the comment "drink less". Which, with all due respect, has the same affect as telling a sober overweight person to "eat less".

I would like to think that i am wrong, and that you are both for promoting any ideas/proposals that would/could reduce situations that the OP found himself in (i.e. prevention rather than "cure") but your posts dont indicate this.

I have never excused the OP's behaviour in any of my posts, in fact if you re-read this thread i commented that his punishment is/was justified. Yet again you miss the point.

Despite my efforts, i have been unable to get either of you to say that you support better education and guidance for the general public so that potentially fatal situations on the roads can be avoided. None of your comments offer any suggestion on how we can avoid repeats of similar situations to the OP other than the comment "drink less". Which, with all due respect, has the same affect as telling a sober overweight person to "eat less".

I would like to think that i am wrong, and that you are both for promoting any ideas/proposals that would/could reduce situations that the OP found himself in (i.e. prevention rather than "cure") but your posts dont indicate this.

"Conversing" elcetronically can lead to crossed wires, I am totally in support of people being better educated in the dangers of excessive alcohol consumption, in learing how your body (the average body will have to be the general guide given) metabolises alcohol, the factors that can influence this etc. I have no issue with people calling for this information. I also think that while waiting for the information to be made available then people should educate themselves as best they can and not spend their time moaning about it.
    Telling / encouraging people to drink less is one step towards stopping situations like the one the OP is in happening. Over all Irish people do drink too much, there is too heavy a reliance on alcohol for almost every social event so encouraging a drop in this is no bad thing from where I am standing. Similarly telling/ encouraging an overweight person to eat less and exercise more is no bad thing either as they too are damaging their health.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

Telling / encouraging people to drink less is one step towards stopping situations like the one the OP is in happening. Over all Irish people do drink too much, there is too heavy a reliance on alcohol for almost every social event so encouraging a drop in this is no bad thing from where I am standing. Similarly telling/ encouraging an overweight person to eat less and exercise more is no bad thing either as they too are damaging their health.

What you've done there is amazing.
    You've taken a step back from your moralising and preaching and presented a reasonable and balanced opinion.
    So well done.

Now all I would add to the above is;

How was the OP to think that he was going to be over the limit when he went driving in the afternoon after his weekend?

Is there a gap in the information in the public domain that a sensible person may not be aware that X hours after drinking he/she may still be over the limit?

Was the OP over the limit? Yes
    Is it likely that very many people in a similar situation to the OP would have acted in the same way, or even less responsible? Yes

That there is the point.

Now stories like this help educate people of the risks.

But to not have sympathy for the OP, that I don't understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭source

The people in uniform are the ones hired by the state to enforce the laws they introduce on behalf of the people, that´s who they are to tell you to blow into a tube.

you obviously missed my post where i pointed out the punishments for refusing to give a sample. Are you really telling me that you can afford to and would rather spend 6 months in jail and hand 635 yoyos over to the state, instead of blowing into a piece of plastic????

Not even a certified fool would do something that stupid.

chump wrote: »
    What you've done there is amazing.
    You've taken a step back from your moralising and preaching and presented a reasonable and balanced opinion.
    So well done.

Now all I would add to the above is;

How was the OP to think that he was going to be over the limit when he went driving in the afternoon after his weekend?

Is there a gap in the information in the public domain that a sensible person may not be aware that X hours after drinking he/she may still be over the limit?

Was the OP over the limit? Yes
    Is it likely that very many people in a similar situation to the OP would have acted in the same way, or even less responsible? Yes

That there is the point.

Now stories like this help educate people of the risks.

But to not have sympathy for the OP, that I don't understand.

The afternoon after his weekend? His weekend of drinking went on for a long time. The time frame between his last drink (of many) and driving wasn't really that long when everything was taken into consideration.
    I was not preaching or moralising (IMO) in any of my posts and I stand over them all.
    I have no sympathy for the OP and with his (as I see) it childish attitude to his work and readiness to go on the dole in October rather than find a way to work has ensured that I will continue to have no sympathy for him.

"Conversing" elcetronically can lead to crossed wires, I am totally in support of people being better educated in the dangers of excessive alcohol consumption, in learing how your body (the average body will have to be the general guide given) metabolises alcohol, the factors that can influence this etc. I have no issue with people calling for this information. I also think that while waiting for the information to be made available then people should educate themselves as best they can and not spend their time moaning about it.

Cool, thats what i was hoping you would say :) Im glad we're on the same page, i was getting worried for a while! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

i have sympathy for the op

he was wrong he got caught but there was no intent to break the law and that should be taken into consideration

i hope that his family and friends support him and that he and others can learn from this mistake

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭chalad07

You're delighted to hear that the OP got caught? Really? I guy that took every reasonable precaution, and still get's arrested. All the while ars*holes are speeding round the roads, in their Honda Civics, totally scot free? It's the Boy Racers who blatantly flaunt the law that the cops sound be focusing on, not some bloke just trying to get to work,

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement