Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rise of the Robots

Options
  • 04-05-2008 5:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭

Anybody here ever try to write a poker bot?

I'm curious about this subject and may consider giving it a try.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭Mr. Flibble

Anybody here ever try to write a poker bot?

I'm curious about this subject and may consider giving it a try.

I made one that killed play money games on Tribeca by pushing with TT or better and folding the rest. I left it overnight and it turned 1k into 40k. Then the Tribeca software changed the next day and that was the end of that. If you search google you will find a website/forum dedicated to poker bots. I can't remember the name of it right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

http://pokerai.org/openholdem.html

Think this is one Mr Fibble means.

Opr

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭The_Daddy_H

Thanks for the links, some interesting stuff there. seems like there is quite a large community developing these things.

It doesnt seem all that difficult to program a reasonable poker bot or at least one capable of playing the ABC poker required to beat an averge $1/$2 player or below, I find it hard to believe that the lower limit games arent already infested.

I mean essentially 99% of the most important decisions at the basic poker level is simply a question of a range V range algorithm. A quick and dirty calculation of a range shouldnt be all that difficult in most cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭Goodluck2me

surely its against the rules?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭ianmc38

lol. why would you think that?

• Advertisement

Whats against the rules?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭Pulsar Eagle

Whats against the rules?

bots

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Fremen

It would probably be forbidden by most poker sites' EULA, yeah. It's not easy to stop without being extremely invasive, though. You'd have to monitor all the processes running on the client's computer. People don't like that.

Fremen wrote: »
    It would probably be forbidden by most poker sites' EULA, yeah. It's not easy to stop without being extremely invasive, though. You'd have to monitor all the processes running on the client's computer. People don't like that.

Even with this i would have thought it wouldn't be that hard for someone with enough knowledge to build one of these to go undected.

Like running the bots remotely so the bot software is entirely undetectable on the client machine.

Edit - i actually think that as time goes on this will become one of the biggest problems online poker faces.

Opr

• Registered Users Posts: 38 pokerbunnybear

what is a poker bot?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,314 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

what is a poker bot?

A computerprogram which plays poker for you whilst you do something more productive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭jhegarty

If you run poker software in a virual machine window (vmware/viruta pc) and the poker software on host computer it would be 100% undetectable...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭hotspur

Fremen wrote: »

Poker sites do exactly that. You don't even want to have the winholdem site up when you are playing poker.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

A really good bot could be written, I just don't want to be the one programming it!

Well I never said I was planning on running it on a poker site to make money. My interest is purely academic.

As far as circumventing poker room security measure is concerned, this is really quite trivial.

Besides in a worse case scenario you could train a troop of monkeys to hit a key based on what the poker bot says to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭DubTony

Well I never said I was planning on running it on a poker site to make money. My interest is purely academic.

:eek:

Besides in a worse case scenario you could train a troop of monkeys to hit a key based on what the poker bot says to them.

That's already been done. Haven't you seem any of phantom_lord's hand histories? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭dvdfan

For any new sites wouldnt it be great if they could get their hand on a few bots, they could instantly have liquidity at all hours of the day and the money they lose would be saved on paying rake. Imagine 4-5 bots at every table, they could colude to ensure they beat the real players so if im Bot 3 and ive 99

Send Query Bot1;Bot2;Bot4;Bot 6;
    Var WhatyouGot;
    If Bot1 ! Bot2 ! Bot4 ! Bot6 = 9 SET WhatyouGot = True;
    If WhatyouGot = true THEN FOLD ELSE CALL

Maybe its already happening, Maybe all them conspiracy theories have merit?

Bots that can see your hole cards would be better imo

Opr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭krux

Program a good one and betfair will probably consider sponsorship.

dvdfan wrote: »
    Maybe its already happening, Maybe all them conspiracy theories have merit?

There have been poker sites in the past which used bots at limit hold em for liquidity reasons. Also we pretty much know that user created bots have been used at high stakes HU limit hold em, especially at Ultimate Bet.

• Advertisement

The_Daddy_H, here is a decent article on the matter: http://www.codingthewheel.com/archives/how-i-built-a-working-poker-bot

The_Daddy_H, here is a decent article on the matter: http://www.codingthewheel.com/archives/how-i-built-a-working-poker-bot
    Thanks for the link. Yes, I found this article on reddit yesterday and was going to post it. Its very interesting indeed. Seems like the bot problem is somewhat overblown at present but rising rapidly.

It seems like the bulk of the code is available for free on the net, its the customizing of the bots poker strategy thats up to the you. This is really the aspect that I'm most interested in. It still requires a considerable amount of coding and the bot will probably never be smarter than its creator, at least without some crazy machine learning techniques which I'd imagine would be very difficult to implement for NL holdem.

Have you read much about them since first posting? Do you know if people have bots that keep a history of the players and adjust to how their playing style? By using a PT database for example?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,663 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

956067terminator2posters.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Thanks for the link. Yes, I found this article on reddit yesterday and was going to post it. Its very interesting indeed. Seems like the bot problem is somewhat overblown at present but rising rapidly.

It seems like the bulk of the code is available for free on the net, its the customizing of the bots poker strategy thats up to the you. This is really the aspect that I'm most interested in. It still requires a considerable amount of coding and the bot will probably never be smarter than its creator, at least without some crazy machine learning techniques which I'd imagine would be very difficult to implement for NL holdem.

I think a bot could be 'smarter' than it's creator. It would be very hard though, adding pt type data would be a great start. Genetic algorithms might take a while to come up with a good one though...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

Have you read much about them since first posting? Do you know if people have bots that keep a history of the players and adjust to how their playing style? By using a PT database for example?

There's at least one out there that shares its hole cards with other bot players, but I havent heard of one which plays differently against different players depending on their stats (I think it's too early in the development cycle for this, but it's undoubtably coming).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Camone

Just saw this thread, for my final year project I wrote a mathematical model for playing optimally in Razz, pretty happy with it, but the calculations involved are too long and arduous to do in any way but a computer program.

So, if there are any competent computer programmers out there whod b interested in working on such a project and think they'd b able to convert the formulae into a program, pop me a PM

Do your equations ever bluff (serious question)?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭RoundTower

how could they not?

camone if you really have the skeleton of perfect strategy in razz I think a lot of people would be interested in seeing that published.

• Advertisement

Do your equations ever bluff (serious question)?

If it didn't it would be about the worst razz bot imaginable.

Advertisement