Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2008 Premiership Round 7

Options
  • 30-04-2008 4:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭

Friday 2 May
    West Coast v Carlton @ Subiaco 6.40PM (11.40AM GMT) Setanta Sports 2 11.30AM

Saturday 3 May
    Geelong v Brisbane @ skilled Stadium 2.10PM (5.10AM GMT)
    Hawthorn v Collingwood @ MCG 2.10PM (5.10AM GMT) Setanta Sports 2 5.00AM
    Richmond v St Kilda @ Telstra Dome 7.10PM (10.10AM GMT)
    Adelaide v North Melbourne @ AAMI Stadium 7.10PM (10.40AM GMT)

Sunday 4 May
    Sydney v Western Bulldogs @ SCG 1.10PM (4.10AM GMT) Setanta Sports 2 4.00AM
    Melbourne v Fremantle @ MCG 2.10PM (5.10AM GMT)
    Essendon v Port Adelaide @ Telstra Dome 4.40PM (7.40AM GMT)

Audio on afl.com.au through the live gamecentre links on the right hand side of the homepage.

Weekend highlights on Setanta Sports 2, Monday 5th at 11PM and TG4 at 11.05pm on Wednesday night

Also check Europsort UK on Monday evenings as there may be a game on too.

My picks for the weekend
    Eagles v Blues: Eagles
    Cats v Lions: Cats
    Hawks v Pies: Pies
    Tigers v Saints: Saints
    Crows v Roos: Crows
    Swans v Dogs: Swans
    Demons v Dockers: Dockers
    Bombers v Power: Power

Setanta showing some really good games this weekend, so the sky + will need to be cleared to make room for 9 hours of footie!

I think this round has thrown up some of the most challenging picks as a lot of teams playing each other are not separated by much points or places.
    I'm going for the Eagles to get a win against the Judas led blues. Geelong to keep firing strong. I think the Pies can cause an upset of sorts against the Hawks. Saints should have enough to see off Richmond. Crows are decent at home, altho the Roos are playing well lately. Big game at SCG, but Sydney to take advantage of home field, but easily see the dogs winning. Dockers should beat Melbourne, they are terrible. And port Adelaide seem to be kickstarting their season a bit late, and Essendon didnt look too hot against the Pies last week.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Brian017

Who the hell are the Storm ?:p I thought the proposed 17th team wasn't coming in for another 2-3 years yet :D

Eagles v Blues: Eagles
    Hawks v Pies: Hawks (going with the head on this)
    Demons v Dockers: Demons

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Traq

Just new here but better late than never. My tips for the weekend are:

Eagles v Blues: Blues
    Hawks v Pies: Hawks

Reckon the Blues have a good chance against the Eagles with Kerr out, although being a blues fan, I may just be overly optimistic...
    Should be a couple of interesting games this weekend though that could go either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Damn right the Blues have a good chance, especially with no Kerr, Hurn and possibly Hunter. Too many injuries and too much inexperience for the Eagles. I have them down to lose by 25.

Couple of games this week that are tough to call alright. Could go either way for my footy tipping in work.

As for Hanton and his 'Storm', this ain't no NRL forum! :p

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Could go either way for my footy tipping in work.

I'm in the same boat, have gotten 7 and 6 the last two weeks when everyone around me's getting 7 and 8 so I'm hoping for a good week this week to put myself clear at the top again!

Yeah I had a 7 last week. Delighted with myself until I got into work on Monday to see that five feckers had scored 8! Down in 7th at the moment but only 2 tips off the top so need a good one this week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭hanton12

whooops! Storm?:o

But in my defense your honour, it is their bloody club logos that makes me confuse them!

55305.png55306.gif

But one clearly says Melbourne on it. Verdict? Guilty. Sentenced to three months supporting the Dockers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Oh yeah, I've decided who I'm going to support (only said the Hawks a few weeks ago to annoy Xavi!). And it is......drum roll.......Carlton!

I know they're sh!t, but I have seen them play a few times, was impressed with their win over Collingwood. Also Fev is a bit of a legend, Setanta plays for them, and I'm living right beside Carlton!

You turncoat bastard! I know you're just doing that to piss me off seeing as Carlton are playing us tomorrow!

Gotta get online early in the morning. Gonna try get me some tickets for the game. I figure that cause we're so shite at the moment a load of members won't go. Fingers crossed anyway!

No I decided last weekend before I even looked at the fixtures, so I'm innocent your honour. Anyway there'd be no fun in following whatever team were playing the Eagles each week, it'd be like shooting fish in a barrel!

• Advertisement

But one clearly says Melbourne on it. Verdict? Guilty. Sentenced to three months supporting the Dockers.

nnoooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!! :eek: It was the lightening rod, the lightening rod.....

as for your tickets, I know of a couple of lads going, but they got them on ticketmaster a while back. Said there wasnt a lot on that, but maybe some members tickets might be floating about. Only thing tho, its a Friday night game (and I love Friday evening games in Subi, great atmosphere. and Irish Club upstairs after for a couple of Carlton draughts watching highlights and off for the night then!). And also, its the return of Chris Juddas. I'm sure he'll get a warm welcome!

No I decided last weekend before I even looked at the fixtures, so I'm innocent your honour. Anyway there'd be no fun in following whatever team were playing the Eagles each week, it'd be like shooting fish in a barrel!

hey xavi, get your act together, are you going to overuse your moderator powers or what on this Eagles hating fan???!!!

Ha ha I could but I want other people to laugh at his naivety. He's only an AFL pup after all! I'll wait til he knows more names than Fev, Setanta and Judd before I change his status from naive to stupid :p

Judd

Who?

Hey One Cold Hand, great to see another Blues fan on here! I've been to four of their six games so far this season, the win against Collingwood was a great game, 77500 in the G for it and the team just clicked that day. If only we could play like that every week, it's the inconsistency that's a killer. We could have pulled off a major upset last week over Adelaide but for very stupid and basic errors in the 3rd which cost us the game.
    Still, there are promising signs and all in all it looks like we're getting better week by week! Should be an interesting game tonight to see how we handle playing out of state, as that's something we're notoriously crap at!

Xavi, good luck with the hunt for tickets, I'd say there'll be some atmosphere there tonight! They were saying on The Footy Show last night that it sold out in 29 minutes once the tickets went on sale. Either way, it'll be sitting on the couch with a few cold beers in the fridge watching this one!

I was actually at the Crows game last weekend. Good first half but went pear shaped after that! Still showed some good signs.

Did you see Juddy on the footy show? When he was asked what age he was, says '24,' and Garry goes '24!!??? Jeez.' Also Sam Newman is hilarious. Was very funny when he was defending what he said about 'women in footy' last week.

Have to say, Friday night footy is something I'm definately getting into! Nothing like picking up a six pack on the way home from work then putting the feet up with a few cold ones!

Yeah, it was a good show last night. Gary's interview with Juddy was pretty interesting, and the surprised look on his face when Judd said he was 24 was priceless!
    Newman's like Australia's Eamon Dunphy, always making the other panelists a little uncomfortable cos they don't know what he's going to come out with next. His speech about women in football last night was hilarious, just a rant really! I see it's making headlines on The Age website today.
    Friday Night Footy's great, it's an institution in the house at this stage, I'm not to be disturbed for the couple of hours it's on!

Not a feckin whiff of a ticket on ticketmaster. Don't even think any went on sale this morning. ah well, I'll try for the Crows game. Might have lost two more games by then so numbers are bound to dwindle.

Just had a look and the only tickets seem to be on ebay and they're going for over $100 a pop, looks like everyone wants to see this game! I suppose it's the only game for a while that the Eagles have a chance of winning and that, along with the return of Judd is going to ensure a full house! :p

Yeah not a hope of me payin that sort of money for one, although it would have been nice to hurl a bit of abuse at Juddas :D

• Advertisement

with regards to Sam Newman, think he is a great on the Footy Show, and as said like Dunphy in that he says wha the thinks and doesnt give a sheidt. this clip of him is class!

and for those of ou in Melboure, you should check out his house! Mad fecker that he is, has a mural of Pamela Andersons face on the front of his house. I cant remember exactly where it is, but I'm fairly certain its on Canterbury Road by Albert park leading onto Grey St as you come into St Kilda from Port side of the city. On the left hand side as you go. Cant really miss it!

55376.JPG

Eagles game starting soon. Will listen to the radio for a while and head home and take a long lunch to finish it out!

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Skittlebrau

Oh yeah, I've decided who I'm going to support (only said the Hawks a few weeks ago to annoy Xavi!). And it is......drum roll.......Carlton!

I know they're sh!t, but I have seen them play a few times, was impressed with their win over Collingwood. Also Fev is a bit of a legend, Setanta plays for them, and I'm living right beside Carlton!
    You turncoat bastard!

FFS mate. What are you thinking???

Enjoy the lower to mid-table obscurity, if you have a good year that is.

Here's my tips this week.

Tigers v Saints: Tigers

The fucking game is on an hour delay on tv. The bastards! :mad:

The fucking game is on an hour delay on tv. The bastards! :mad:

think we spoke about this before didnt we? I remembered something similar happening a dockers game when I was out there, think its to do with time. At 6.30 perth time, its perfect for live timing on East coast (8.30), but not great for west coast TV, so they delay it. Ah well, its live over here anyway! Dont go near the internet for an hour and pretend its live.

Yeah that's the way it's gonna have to be.

Well just threw on my guernsey and shorts so I'm all set to go! :cool:

came back to watch the Eagles/Carlton game, and the second quarter was a disaster, Eagles down by 50 odd at half time, played absolutly ****e. Selwood gave away 2 stupid frees which didnt help. Missed some unbelievable sitters too. Lynch and Jones missing easy set shots.

3rd quarter and we came back in it. Only 23 in it at end of quarter. 4th quarter now and only 9 points in it and 14 minutes left. Lynch missed another sitter at the start of this one, but just kicked there to make it back close. Great game now!

O'hAilpin had a lovely touch in the third I think it was, solo'd the ball up to himself and laid it off and Carlton should have got a goal from it.

Armstrong just missed a set shot to bring it down to 3!! And now Carlton have goaled to go back 13 in front

balls, should have said nothing. Eagles didnt score since and carlton got back on top. final score 111-74. Brendan Fevola is an absolute tramp too, showed his true colours again punching ebert in the stomach off the ball. hopefully will get a deserved suspension for it.

wrt the eagles, cant have quarters like the second.absolute muck. Josh Kennedy had a great game, and some of the other young guys showed well at times. a long way to go tho.

My God Quinten Lynch............. *shakes head* How the fuck do you miss from there??????? TWICE!!!!!

We played for about twenty minutes overall, and looked great. The rest however was a joke. Kennedy was our best on groud easily. Selwood had a good game. Love Beau Waters' attitude. Hero.

Quote of the night from Dennis Cometti -

"The Blues haven't kicked a goal in 28 minutes. They've been stuck in the 80s longer than the Osmonds." Genius.

My God Quinten Lynch............. *shakes head* How the fuck do you miss from there??????? TWICE!!!!!

We played for about twenty minutes overall, and looked great. The rest however was a joke. Kennedy was our best on groud easily. Selwood had a good game. Love Beau Waters' attitude. Hero.

Quote of the night from Dennis Cometti -

"The Blues haven't kicked a goal in 28 minutes. They've been stuck in the 80s longer than the Osmonds." Genius.

T'was bad from Lynch alright, and vital kicks. Too many set shots missed, Armstrong kicking it off the player on the mark another, and jones had about 3 good chances from set shots. Cant be missing chances like those. Waters was class alright at the start of the third, just sprinted to the ruck and was going head first no matter what happened!

Cometti is classic for the one liners alright. Met him a couple of times in Vic Park, not sure if he lives around there, but saw him around a few times and in Farrells there another couple of times with the missus. With his big dinner plate ears!:p

Another comfortable win for the Hawks today. Just the 6 goals for Buddy. Luke Hodge did a hammy though which is a big loss.

• Advertisement

Good performance by the Dockers today :pac: Up by 51 and lost by 6! Unbelievable.

Changed my footy tipping at the last minute to back the Doggies and they did me proud. 7 out of 8 this week seeing as Port won as well.

Advertisement