Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Silly text messages

Options
  • 29-04-2008 1:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭

Okay this may seem like a silly little rant bit it's driving me nuts!!! :eek:

Do one-word text messages bug the bejayzus out of anyone else? Not just one word messages but also stupid short texts that make it impossible to reply. I mean I usually won't reply to pointless short texts, eg.. "ok". Grrrr....:mad: Do other people do this or do you think it's rude for me not to reply. I mean.. how exactly does one respond to "ok" or "yeah" etc???

Sorry just ranting but there's this guy who's texting me and he's soooo hard to read. His messages seem so dull and pointless but I'm doing my best to keep the conversation flowing. How exactly do I respond to short, stupid messages??

This does annoy other people right??? Please tell me I'm not the only headcase who's frustrated by pointless texts!

*chain texts included

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,422 ✭✭✭RedXIV

talking to a girl at the moment i'm kinda interested in and she sometimes sends texts with just ":)"

Thats it?!!? so i don't reply to those anymore, hopefully she'll cop on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

RedXIV wrote: »
    talking to a girl at the moment i'm kinda interested in and she sometimes sends texts with just ":)"

That's just laziness.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

its bulllshhit posts that bug me

who? me or her? not that i'll get offended or anything. it's odd, she sends essays one min, then :) trust me, seriously frustrating

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

MizzLolly wrote: »
    Sorry just ranting but there's this guy who's texting me and he's soooo hard to read. His messages seem so dull and pointless but I'm doing my best to keep the conversation flowing.
    *chain texts included

He's not interested, short pointless messages = he's trying to get rid of you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

That's exactly what I'm talking about. I've had that happen too, all you can say back is ":)".. which seems a bit silly..

FearDark wrote: »

But when I ignore him he keeps texting??? Or else leaves me a bebo comment telling me to text him when I get credit! :confused:

FearDark wrote: »

not necessarily. as i said earlier, i got :) in a message. that was 2 messages after "i'm bored....entertain me!"

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

But when I ignore him he keeps texting??? Or else leaves me a bebo comment telling me to text him when I get credit! :confused:

Is it Fr. Stone? Only gives short uninterested one-word answers but never stops talking talking to other people about how much they enjoy talking to you.

not necessarily. as i said earlier, i got :) in a message. that was 2 messages after "i'm bored....entertain me!"

And ironically, he just text me asking me out two seconds ago??!!!

He's a tough cookie! Can't figure him out at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Might seem like an odd suggestion, but perhaps they are slightly dyslexic or something like that?

A mate of mine made the same complaint about a girl he started seeing a while ago and when he asked her about it after a while she admitted she has very mild dyslexia and didn't want to write long texts in case she mis-spelled a bunch of words and he thought she was stupid cos she made spelling mistakes.

Either that or maybe he just isn't very interesting, that's possible too

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

longshanks wrote: »
    its bulllshhit posts that bug me

Stop making them then :p

Oh and for the OP, - if short seemingly pointless text messages are your biggest worry or bugbear, you're not doing too badly at all !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Hmm... Stumped really, when Im texting herself and we're being witty and interesting the text messages flow, 70+ a day sometimes but when youve ran outta things to talk about and im getting bored the replies slow right down and ill just end up ringing her cos i just couldnt be arsed txting back... I suppose what Im trying to say is that he prob isnt arsed either...!

Was replying to MizzLollys post RedXIV...

MizzLolly

"But when I ignore him he keeps texting??? Or else leaves me a bebo comment telling me to text him when I get credit!"

Maybe he's just dull combined with boredom? Whats he like in person? Txt messages aren't such a good way of showing your personality imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 happyface

some people just write really short replies, its a habit i got into when i got free texts.. its usually cos the text i received has one major point to it like hey are you busy, reply no...
    as opposed to writing an essay saying how I'm doing very little

try sending a few texts that tease info out of em forcing replies that take more than a short reply?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Sorry just ranting but there's this guy who's texting me and he's soooo hard to read. His messages seem so dull and pointless but I'm doing my best to keep the conversation flowing. How exactly do I respond to short, stupid messages??
    Have you heard about Word Association or the ever popular 3 Word Story?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

One of my best friends (and a fellow Boardsie!) always cuts his replies down to one word when he's too lazy to keep a conversation going. He'll usually send the first text, get the info he's looking for and then send the "ok", "cool", "ha ha" message before stopping altogether. Problem is he openly admits doing it deliberately so I can't even accuse him of anything!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Do one-word text messages bug the bejayzus out of anyone else? Not just one word messages but also stupid short texts that make it impossible to reply. I mean I usually won't reply to pointless short texts, eg.. "ok". Grrrr....:mad: Do other people do this or do you think it's rude for me not to reply. I mean.. how exactly does one respond to "ok" or "yeah" etc???

This does annoy other people right??? Please tell me I'm not the only headcase who's frustrated by pointless texts!

*chain texts included

How the hell do you have a conversation through text messaging? The whole point of it is to exchange small amounts of info eg,

"What time r u coming over", answer- "8.00"... not to a have a bloody conversation. Like, if you want to talk to them, then ring the person!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Susannahmia

How the hell do you have a conversation through text messaging? The whole point of it is to exchange small amounts of info eg,

"What time r u coming over", answer- "8.00"... not to a have a bloody conversation. Like, if you want to talk to them, then ring the person!

+1 to that.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Because teh free texts > the expensive phonecalls
    I <3 free texts :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭seahorse

javaboy wrote: »
    Is it Fr. Stone?

:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭wordofmouth

Whats your favourite type of text message sound?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Whats your favourite type of text message sound?
    I like the classic beep.

*chain texts included

Here's the deal.
    Most men don't like long conversations via text message. They get irritating after the third or fourth.
    A brief reply may indicate that he wants to end the conversation.

You could always ask him what the deal is. You never know. This time next week, you could be giving him head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭wordofmouth

I was going with the father stone vibe replacing humming noise with text message noise. Obviously failed though!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Do one-word text messages bug the bejayzus out of anyone else?
    Depends, sometimes one word answers are grand.

"D'ye fancy a shag?"

"Yes"

What's not to like?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Whatever about one word texts, I often use one letter texts. Free texts rule!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭truecrippler

Jahsus, it tells ya that the sender has no interest in communicating with you. Me and my potential significant other send fairly long and interesting texts. It shows that both people have interest in each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭chickenhawk

Sorry just ranting but there's this guy who's texting me and he's soooo hard to read. His messages seem so dull and pointless but I'm doing my best to keep the conversation flowing. How exactly do I respond to short, stupid message

He's playing a game. Everytime you text him I will bet you are looking at the phone wondering when he will text back and you re-read what you sent to make sure it was funny enough or suggestive etc. He is sitting there looking at the text and is not interested enough to reply with a full message.

So here is what you do. Don't reply for at least two hours. Make the text vague, don't answer his questions, reply with one word answers. It will send him nuts. He will think you are loosing interest and start to pay more attention and forget his game. Then you are in control.

And for the person who got the text 'I'm bored......entertain me.' next time reply with 'not unless you entertain me first and it better be good' put a winking face after it and they will be wrapped.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

*chain texts included

Yea

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Jahsus, it tells ya that the sender has no interest in communicating with you. Me and my potential significant other send fairly long and interesting texts. It shows that both people have interest in each other.
    LOL, so why is he only your potential if you're so sure he has an interest in you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,986 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

*chain texts included

I hate this too. I often get people giving out to me that I haven't replied to their text of "OK" or "Grand"!

You didn't ask a question or say anything that required further communication so I'm not replying.
    orestes wrote: »
    Might seem like an odd suggestion, but perhaps they are slightly dyslexic or something like that?

A mate of mine made the same complaint about a girl he started seeing a while ago and when he asked her about it after a while she admitted she has very mild dyslexia and didn't want to write long texts in case she mis-spelled a bunch of words and he thought she was stupid cos she made spelling mistakes.

Either that or maybe he just isn't very interesting, that's possible too

This happened to me recently too. Kept correcting a girls spelling on MSN jokingly, until she told me she is dyslexic.

I felt really bad, but she was cool about it.

Advertisement