Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Article] Mind the gap: commuters face walk at 'integrated' rail station

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Propellerhead

Hamndegger wrote: »
    1) Is a walkway actually needed for those who might go from a train to a LUAS in case it rains? I say might as not everybody would have use for it. Leo's local voters would co-incidentally be the main ones who may be affected without this crucial piece of rail infrastructure so me thinks it's more a whinge to make out he looks after his own than a genuine concern of a fault with this Luas stop.. This walkway wasn't a worry for FG when Luas was being built or designed so for complaints at this state are woefully out of order. If anything, monies for shelters at Luas and rail stations that can be used by ALL passengers from all over Irelandwould be more fruitful than Leo's Blanchardstonwn umbrella.

2) As it stands, Docklands is still a temporary station and until otherwise annunced, it is a waste of time and cash to plan anything long term around it.

3) If Leo is more clued in on this, he would want to show it in future and make less parochially centred calls on issues than this.

http://buckplanning.blogspot.com/2008/02/dempsey-derails-ambitious-ci-plan-and.html quotes an Irish Times report in February last, citing Dempsey's intention to retain Docklands.

I would have thought that the lack of integration in Dublin's public transport was something that an opposition spokesman should be concerned about so I'm puzzled why you think that isn't his business.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

http://buckplanning.blogspot.com/2008/02/dempsey-derails-ambitious-ci-plan-and.html quotes an Irish Times report in February last, citing Dempsey's intention to retain Docklands.

I would have thought that the lack of integration in Dublin's public transport was something that an opposition spokesman should be concerned about so I'm puzzled why you think that isn't his business.

I am well aware that both Dempsey and Irish Rail want the station retained but this is a matter for planning permission in order for it's life to be extended. In all probability it will be kept on but it would be aloof to make any long term arrangements on the assumption that it will be granted. In relation to "intergration", a glorified veranda or walkway is hardly the missing link to make it a success and making it "intergrate" better, and it mainly benefits D 15 residents using this small walk. There is other parts of Luas that can do with extra shelters before this; it would be a better investment for all users IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Propellerhead

So, the Government can provide a station for D15 residents and the Opposition can't point out its shortcomings? That's a good one. Your earlier posts seemed to indicate that you believed Docklands to be temporary.

Is there any chance that there will ever be strategic thinking about public transport backed up with hard cash and timely planning? It seems to me that public transport is viewed as something to be tinkered with at its edges with a finite amount of money, and if its hubs don't work it doesn't matter. "Ah, sure, it'll do" was always the worst thing about public transport planning in this country, seeing as there was never any thought given to land use and sustainable transport until most of the west side of the city was built.

Advertisement