Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

12 Essential rules to live more like a zen monk

Options
  • 23-04-2008 11:33am
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Well....this very short article has made a _huge_ difference to me in the space of less than a week. Thought I'd share it with you lot.

12 Essential rules to live more like a zen monk

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

Khannie wrote: »
    Well....this very short article has made a _huge_ difference to me in the space of less than a week. Thought I'd share it with you lot.
    Thanks, there is some nice advice there:)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Most welcome. :)

The things I've tried hardest with since reading the article are single-tasking, devoting myself to a task and helping others. Honestly, I feel a lot more content than I have in ages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭hairymolly

Khannie that is exactly what I needed. anyother links along the same lines?

hairymolly wrote: »
    Khannie that is exactly what I needed. anyother links along the same lines?

Glad to help. :)

No other links yet. I'll post up any good stuff I find in my travels.

This looks like a good book though. Think I'm going to buy it next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

I've read a couple of Pema Chodrons books, well writtin and full of good humour. I like listening to her talks also.
    Khannie, chapters on Parnell street has a good selection of her books as well as other writers.

All the best

• Advertisement

Most welcome. :)

The things I've tried hardest with since reading the article are single-tasking.
    Thats the good one for me, it is sound advice. I always get side-tracked into multitasking and inevitably nothing gets done 100%

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭MeditationMom

Nice link and valuable points.

Having lived my life mostly as a Mom I have had the good fortune of being around children constantly, who do have this single-task, here-now, no-hurry attitude, yet are "busy" non-stop all day. Their egos are absent when they are very young, and then so small for quite some time, that I managed to pick this up from them early on. Doing, without doing anything, all day long. By the end of the day everything is done and you truly feel you have rested all day.

Krishnamurti said that once you try to be somebody, you lose your freedom.

It is this attitude of no concern for any reputation that is at the core of the ability to be present. When I watched deeply inside what made me hurry, multi-task, try to accomplish long lists that never end, etc - I always discovered some sort of large or small fear or greed at the root of things. Going even deeper - if all our fears and desires were to be considered leaves on a tree - the source of all fears and desires, is the idea of "I" that gives us this idea of being separate from the tasks, as in "I do the task" - or "I didn't get the task done". When there is no separation between me and the task, there is nobody there suffering, yet the task gets done - by me or someone else for that matter, or not at all, because it didn't need to get done in the first place. The way rain falls on flowers, and the flowers grow.

The whole universe happens by itself - yet we think we are doing things in our lives, or not getting things done. It's very amusing.

I find myself referring back to this a lot. I'm reading a book about buddhism at the moment, but these 12 essential rules are really helpful to me. Just wondering if anyone else has found them helpful since reading them?

I find myself referring back to this a lot. I'm reading a book about buddhism at the moment, but these 12 essential rules are really helpful to me. Just wondering if anyone else has found them helpful since reading them?

Hi Khannie,
    I've always found Zen points a handy reference for peaceful living. How did you come across Buddhism? Was it through the Muay Thai?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭lukester

Nice list, I like it. I remember hearing a variation on the 'Do one thing at a time' idea. The Korean Zen Master Seung Sahn Sunim used to tell his students 'when you eat, just eat- only focus on what you are doing.'

A student saw him the next day eating dinner and reading the newspaper at the same time, and asked him why he had told them to only eat when they are eating, but he was both eating and reading.

He replied, 'when you eat and read, only eat and read'. :)

• Advertisement

LOL - I was eating a nice juicy apple while sitting down reading Boards posts - reveling in my contentment - when I read this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭KatCookie

This is coming from in Irish girl.. who couldnt be less like a Buddhist Or a Zen Monk. - (did religion in school and have a book on buddhism so thats where my limited knowledge comes from)
    i'd just like to say that you all seem like very happy people, i might stick around this section if thats ok with you and see what makes you all so happy!! :D

KatCookie wrote: »
    This is coming from in Irish girl.. who couldnt be less like a Buddhist Or a Zen Monk. - (did religion in school and have a book on buddhism so thats where my limited knowledge comes from)
    i'd just like to say that you all seem like very happy people, i might stick around this section if thats ok with you and see what makes you all so happy!! :D

Joy at last... to know there is no happiness in this world :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭DenMan

Hey there. I would like to stay around this section for a while if that's ok. I used to practice Tai Chi and as a result read a lot of the Buddhist teaching on my own time. A very relaxed and open minded way of life. Something we all should look at. Peace

+1

DenMan wrote: »
    Hey there. I would like to stay around this section for a while if that's ok. I used to practice Tai Chi and as a result read a lot of the Buddhist teaching on my own time. A very relaxed and open minded way of life. Something we all should look at. Peace

You are both very welcome, please feel free to input or post question here, thats how we all learn:)

Asiaprod wrote: »
    You are both very welcome, please feel free to input or post question here, thats how we all learn:)
    A question eh?.. ok.. what part of being a buddhist makes you Still be awake at 01:37?
    cos i think i'd prefer my sleep!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭iUseVi

Mmmm, sleep. :D:D

A question eh?.. ok.. what part of being a buddhist makes you Still be awake at 01:37?

Thats probably his location!

Ha, thats an easy one:) A=Life is so short, why waste time sleeping when we could be learning interesting stuff;)

Jon wrote: »
    Thats probably his location!
    You are wise beyond your years:). (Married with family, when else can I get any peace :D)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭lukester

Asiaprod, I have to take issue with you on a very fundamental point-

belly button fluff is not always blue :)

lukester wrote: »

and why does there have to be belly button fluff? It is necassary for the belly button fluff to be there in the first place?

oh dear, i think we are going to be very difficult pupils for you to educate.. ..

lukester wrote: »

You are correct, it is also Red, White and Black:)
    and why does there have to be belly button fluff? It is necassary for the belly button fluff to be there in the first place?
    It is necessary, the fluff gives the bely button a purpose for being.
    oh dear, i think we are going to be very difficult pupils for you to educate.. ..

We will try:D

By Jon - Joy at last... to know there is no happiness in this world

This wonderful statement went by without notice ( or at least comment) - so I thought I'd comment. I never heard this before and find it absolutely wonderful. Thank you! Where is it from - or is it yours? If it is - congratulations!!!

Well i seen that statement.. but i didnt get it.. i was being sincere when i said

and it just sounded like Jon was being sarcastic when he said
    Jon wrote: »
    Joy at last... to know there is no happiness in this world :D

These are really good. I found the "Do one thing at a time" one and leave space between tasks as well as dedicating time to sitting to be particularly helpful.

I'm a bit late checking back in here but...
    and it just sounded like Jon was being sarcastic when he said

I'd say it's a bit of an in-joke. I'm guessing though..... I'm learning about Buddhism at the moment and one of the "truths" of buddhism is suffering. I think he was saying "when you realise this, you'll find joy" but it's a bit of a contradiction / catch 22 kinda thing.

amirite?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

I'd say it's a bit of an in-joke. I'm guessing though..... I'm learning about Buddhism at the moment and one of the "truths" of buddhism is suffering. I think he was saying "when you realise this, you'll find joy" but it's a bit of a contradiction / catch 22 kinda thing.

amirite?

I would of thought that had a lot to do with acceptance.

When you accept that not only one of the truth's of buddhisim is suffering but life itself that the suffering is "part" of life it's not your life.

So instead of wallowing in your own self pitty and with the "why me" brigade you accept the suffering and can move on then with enjoying your life.

I'm no monk tho..

This wonderful statement went by without notice ( or at least comment) - so I thought I'd comment. I never heard this before and find it absolutely wonderful. Thank you! Where is it from - or is it yours? If it is - congratulations!!!

Hi MM, no no it's not mine it's from Ajahn Brahm in this video clip.

It is very true, sorry if anyone thought I was being sarcastic!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ex5a4a40k6s at 12 mins 25

Ajahn Brahm has some really fantastic talks on youtube.

Enjoy :)

• Advertisement

I'm only realsing there was further comment on that quote, so sorry I didn't notice.

In the talk Ajahn Brahm gives, it's basically saying that the happiness we know of as human beings is not true happiness as the happiness we know is part of the circle of suffering, false happiness causes attachment, attachment causes suffering and so the cycle continues. The teaching is about going beyond the happiness we know of
    :)
    So instead of wallowing in your own self pitty and with the "why me" brigade you accept the suffering and can move on then with enjoying your life.

Not so much that we accept it, as Buddhists we try to trancend it (suffering).
    Remember when we learn about suffering, we should also understand impermenance too, it makes life so much more... ummm... tolerable!

Advertisement