Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you wish celtic tiger never happened?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭soontobesmokin

Yes happy days pre celtic tiger ( 70s, 80s ). Fond memories of hiding behind the couch with my younger brother and mother, from the loan shark knocking at the door looking for his money. Or the times when the charity crowd called round with a nice big box of messages every once and a while just to help out the poor ones;) Or even being sent up the road to a neighbour house with numerous notes , which looked for a loan of either money or food. Yes, we had f*** all , but now I have my own family I am so grateful I can provide for my wife and kids without my wife going to work, plus make a bit of a future finacially for us aswell. My point is though as I welcome economic growth I have to say it has turned alot of people into s***heads, you know the ones, wanabees.
    I think we have lost our innocence as a country and thats a little sad, but you know what , theres a hell of a difference between having money and having class.
    You can always put a suit on a monkey , but its still a monkey.

darkman2 wrote: »
    Sometimes I feel a good recession is what these new middle class f***kwit begrudgers/uneducated people need for a kick up the arse. They honestly dont/cant understand the concept of what bad times really feel like. Why should they? They have never experienced it. You will soon. Then you will fully understand the concept of 'the haves' and the 'have nots' of which the vast majority will fall into the later description.
    I might have only been a young child but I do remember it well. I remember thinking that getting £1 was a massive amount of money, one of my brothers got a slap for asking for 50p. I remember this being the case up to maybe even the late 90s. Money was tight but we were happy and people seemed more friendly than they are now.
    rb_ie wrote: »
    Unless, of course, that 20% represent the racists who feel we've lost our culture and are píssed at a load of foreigners coming and "taking our jobs".
    What I will say about that one is that the job I'm leaving, there's been about 50-60 applicants for my post, of which only two were Irish. The majority who did apply have little or no English despite it being on the description.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Karsini wrote: »
    What I will say about that one is that the job I'm leaving, there's been about 50-60 applicants for my post, of which only two were Irish. The majority who did apply have little or no English despite it being on the description.

Yeah but sure your employer will hardly hire them if they've no English and it's required in the job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭DU.LLAHAN

i only wish it started five years later than it did i would be loaded now:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Gekko

Of course the CT has brought us benefits, but what price has the country in general paid for them?

A number of politicians have basically acted as pimps for property developers who have raped the country and the landscape to the point of gross criminal indecency.

Other corporate interests have jumped on the gangbang bandwagon and here we are, welcome to modern Ireland.

If we had gotten some decent infrastructure - public transport, better health service, actual bearable communities where people can live and have some quality of life - then maybe it might have been worth it.

But no, Ireland has been a cheap and easy lay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭soontobesmokin

well said!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Kipperhell

Gekko wrote: »
    Of course the CT has brought us benefits, but what price has the country in general paid for them?

A number of politicians have basically acted as pimps for property developers who have raped the country and the landscape to the point of gross criminal indecency.

Other corporate interests have jumped on the gangbang bandwagon and here we are, welcome to modern Ireland.

If we had gotten some decent infrastructure - public transport, better health service, actual bearable communities where people can live and have some quality of life - then maybe it might have been worth it.

But no, Ireland has been a cheap and easy lay.

The assumption there was we chose to have our morals and were decent by choice. Ireland prided itself on being non racist while we had no other races here except for travellers who were judged as not being people.

Nothing has actually changed about the people we together had nothing before. Politicians took more before as there was less. People moaned about, schools,transport,hospitals etc... all before the CT.
    The stupidest people now moan "what with the Celtic Tiger we should have ....". The reality is decades of neglect the solution and cost are not easy to solve.
    I remember being told to buy Irish to keep jobs here and as part of that they said when you leave the country buy Irish. It wasn't "if" you leave as they thought the majority would leave at some point and it wasn't for a holiday.

All the people who live at home who moan about not being able to afford a house yet they have a car and job, before it was misery as you had nothing and couldn't buy a toy car let alone a house.

Most of my brother's school year live abroad or have done while two years later with my year most stayed as there were jobs. Ireland is a better place but it's problems are different. At least the religious control is greatly reduced and you can get a condom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭Phantasm

Isn't it up to the people themselves whether or not they're friendly or are influenced by money? I see plenty of children out playing, too. Not as often as I would have been, I suppose, but still.

Nowadays, even though I'm older, I'd still choose a roll-around in the muck and the thrill of jumping into waist deep bogholes over an afternoon on the Playstation. I hope I'm not the only one xD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

My economy isn't too bad and that of my parent's is even better. The celtic tiger hasn't been bad to us at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Gekko wrote: »

Very little. The country as a whole has benefitted from it. So we may have "lost our cultural identity", who cares?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dumbyearbook

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Celtic Tiger :confused: what the hell was that, a band :confused: never heard of the Celtic Tiger west of the shannon

Don't agree here ! I dont need a reason either just dont agree :D

Advertisement