Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Indoor Range in Mayo Galway or nearby

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Personally, I think, the biggest difference is the steel. I've shoot hundreds of 7.62mm rounds at falling plates, some mild steel and some hardened steel. The difference at 100 meters is like night and day. A 7.62mm at 100m will cut through 8mm mild steel like butter, straight through. The same rounds into 8mm hardened steel will not even cause pitting. (Technical point: the falling plates were at 90 degree angles and were standing up by gravity alone, about 12 inch X 8 inch with a 2inch base plate).
    J

You don't even need a 7.62. I've seen a .243 do the same thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭fat-tony

Now, where do we get some of this in 6mm for Rathdrum :D

• Subscribers Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭IRLConor

fat-tony wrote: »
    Now, where do we get some of this in 6mm for Rathdrum :D

If anyone has a good source (at reasonable prices) for this I'm sure DURC would be interested too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

The father used to be in construction. I'll ask him tonight whether he might be able to source some.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭damo03

Where ever its got 6mm hardened steel plate aint gonna be cheap.:confused:
    The preice of metals in general has gone through the roof in recent times.

• Advertisement

Probably not cheap, no, but can possibly find it cheaper than might otherwise be possible.

damo03 wrote: »
    Where ever its got 6mm hardened steel plate aint gonna be cheap.:confused:
    The preice of metals in general has gone through the roof in recent times.

Actually the price has been dropping simce Christmas. Still higher than it was this time last year, but a good deal cheaper than it was in November

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭damo03

Completely agree with ya lads cant beat shopping around for anything.

The father will call round to a mate of his in the next few days and investigate. What kind of area coverage are we talking about? I can probably get them cut for the right size as well while we're at it. 2 foot by 2 foot be right? Or what dimensions?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,976 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Try this website www.ballistic-steel.de
    They are German,but speak English and have a very intresting system of range baffles made from ballistic steel.Apprently it will withstand .50 cal ammo.Do alsopractical shooting style targets as well.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement

The father will call round to a mate of his in the next few days and investigate. What kind of area coverage are we talking about? I can probably get them cut for the right size as well while we're at it. 2 foot by 2 foot be right? Or what dimensions?

It's simple enough IWM. The hard steel is only needed for one part of the bullet catcher, the rest can be made of mild steel. The piece is 520 x 590mm I think, but the total amount for the seven bullet catchers adds up to just shy of an 8x4 sheet.

The hardness required is 500'ish on the Brinell Scale, I think thats between 47-52 Vickers.

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Try this website www.ballistic-steel.de
    They are German,but speak English and have a very intresting system of range baffles made from ballistic steel.Apprently it will withstand .50 cal ammo.Do alsopractical shooting style targets as well.

Not really what we're looking for Grizzly, thanks all the same. We're making a bulet catcher that sits behind each target and collects all the lead in a nice easily removable bottle. The prototype system works very well except the steel isn't up to it for the long term.

Hmm, so will I just find out a price for one sheet matching those parameters so?

Hmm, so will I just find out a price for one sheet matching those parameters so?

That would be great. We may need it cut as well but it's not essential. A 6mm thick sheet should do, but if you can, get a price for 8mm as well.

No problem. I could sort the cutting as well I'm sure. Shall I find out a price for that as well?

No problem. I could sort the cutting as well I'm sure. Shall I find out a price for that as well?

Yes please!

Cool, so the list of details is as follows, just to be clear:

one sheet of 8x4 in both 6mm and 8mm, uncut and cut (520mm x 590mm), with a hardness of 500 on Brinell scale/47-52 Vickers.

That it?

Cool, so the list of details is as follows, just to be clear:

one sheet of 8x4 in both 6mm and 8mm, uncut and cut (520mm x 590mm), with a hardness of 500 on Brinell scale/47-52 Vickers.

That it?

That's the lot. I'd need to check the measurements, but they're very close. I'm sure on the 520.

Thanks a mil.

rrpc wrote: »
    That's the lot. I'd need to check the measurements, but they're very close. I'm sure on the 520.

Thanks a mil.

No worries. I'll let you know as soon as I have the prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,976 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

rrpc wrote: »
    Not really what we're looking for Grizzly, thanks all the same. We're making a bulet catcher that sits behind each target and collects all the lead in a nice easily removable bottle. The prototype system works very well except the steel isn't up to it for the long term.

Sounds intresting all right.Best of luck with it.Do show us some pics when it is up and running.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement