Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eco Restaurant, Douglas

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

I would also recommend Scoozi (Up until a few months ago, I'd have said Currans aswell, but the last time I was there, the boss bawled a staff member out of it in front of the customers, so I won't be lining his pocket for him ever again)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Andystoran

Good reasonable food, nothing fancy good service, a little cramped depending on where ur seated. Better than a lot of corks highly priced restaurants.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,400 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

cjmcork wrote: »
    I would also recommend Scoozi (Up until a few months ago, I'd have said Currans aswell, but the last time I was there, the boss bawled a staff member out of it in front of the customers, so I won't be lining his pocket for him ever again)

that's a pity about Curran's because I like that place. Anytime I've been there I had a nice meal at a good price.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

I'm not such a big fan of Eco's any more, but I agree that it is hard to find a good, reasonably priced restaurant in Cork. I think some of the best value places in the city centre are Wagamama, Casanova, Star Vast and Banna Thai. Strasbourg Goose isn't bad for the price and the food is similar in style to Eco. Curran's is a really nice-looking place but I've had some bad meals there.

Most of the other mid-price places are so uninspiring these days that I prefer to eat at home more often and save up for a blow-out somewhere really good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Froot

cjmcork wrote: »

Oh man! Curran's has, for the last 6 years, consistently had the worst staff of any establishment in Cork city. Their service is so f*cking bad! Their food is ok but I just have to say how bad their service is. That's not to say its the waiting staff that are to blame, more than ever I think that their level of service is an indication of how **** their management is. So, effectively, if anyone from Curran's is reading this: Your restaurant is sh!t.

Scoozi's is tasty but being honest everything they have is just a remix of the other stuff on the menu and its quite expensive for something as congenial as a chicken burger with chips on the side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭scaryfairy

yeah, last time I been to Currans, got quite p*ssed off with the mgr... the waiters were very nice though & food too (cannot say much about my dessert as it never arrived :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

Agreed, the situation at Currans has become silly. I went last week for the first time since December and whoever was in charge yelled at a male server for incorrectly placing the meals on our table. We were absolutely mortified. After that experience I doubt I'll ever consider the place again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭bill_ashmount

BanzaiBk wrote: »
    Agreed, the situation at Currans has become silly. I went last week for the first time since December and whoever was in charge yelled at a male server for incorrectly placing the meals on our table. We were absolutely mortified. After that experience I doubt I'll ever consider the place again.

I'd of started screaming at the person in charge then, see how they like it.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Re Eco: Another "layout is poor" comment. Actually it's not poor, it's dreadful. I remember being squashed when a party sat at the table next to us. They had to have another table added on and we were crushed against the wall. Surely it's in serious breach of fire safety standards? Had there been a fire, we would have been screwed. And yeah, it's so dingy in there. People rant about the "cosy, relaxed atmosphere" etc - it's just dark and shabby!
    But I do think the food is more than "ok" - I think it's generally very good. They have some excellent dishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 ac1977

never ate there, but my bro was a busboy there years ago and said rats in the kitchen were pretty common. But in fairness to Ecos, that was about 4 years ago, might have changed since.
    People do look like they're sitting on each other's laps tho'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Persol

Dudess wrote: »
    Re Eco: Another "layout is poor" comment. Actually it's not poor, it's dreadful. I remember being squashed when a party sat at the table next to us. They had to have another table added on and we were crushed against the wall. Surely it's in serious breach of fire safety standards? Had there been a fire, we would have been screwed. And yeah, it's so dingy in there. People rant about the "cosy, relaxed atmosphere" etc - it's just dark and shabby!
    But I do think the food is more than "ok" - I think it's generally very good. They have some excellent dishes.

I don't mind being squashed as long as I am served decent food with decent prices and decent service ;-)
    After all, that only proves it is a great place to eat in!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

you want good food,go across to the Indian restaurant its divine,nice service,reasonable prices.

+1,000,000

In fact, I think I'll make reservations there for next weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Persol wrote: »
    I don't mind being squashed as long as I am served decent food with decent prices and decent service ;-)
    Nonsense. Of course you'd mind being squashed. The situation we were in that evening was an utter disgrace but somehow it's acceptable just because this is Eco. The owners should look into extending or relocating to a larger premises in the area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

You must own Eco if that's your idea of a good time.

I agree, Dudess. My friend maintains that they keep it dimly lit so people won't notice how shabby it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DannyBuoy

I don't mind being squashed...

Eco's sounds like your kinda place so :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭MJOR

BanzaiBk wrote: »
    +1

+2 only average........ food ok but nothing really you couldn't make at home:o

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭DJ Hafez

Got a 12oz steak there last week and was absolutely disgusted. Firstly, it was abou 9 or 10oz max, the guy next to me got the same and his was much bigger. Taste was terrible compared to the likes of Mrs Dee's in Mount Oval which does a great steak.

Got chips with the steak which were cold and like mcdonalds chips, would have actually rathered mcdonalds! And had lemon sole for starters too which was nice but got 3 small pieces and way too much salad with a horrible salad dressing over it.

62 euro for people altogether and I left feeling both hungry and was not satisfied in any way shape or form. Now I know other things are nice in there but being honest, being trapped in an enclosed space that isn't properly air conditioned with average food isn't my idea of a good night. The indian around the corner would give me a better feed for less and it's a much better environment!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

Between ECO's and the East Village is a restaurant called Citrus, its pricey - 26 Euro main course so its somewhere you go for a long slow relaxed meal (yes I know that sounds like a certain drink) of two hours, not like Currans where it feels like somewhere you go to eat quickly and get out.

The Finders Inn in Nohoval is incredible, its an old style pub with a restaurant seating area attached, again somewhere you go to relax and enjoy your food.

I live very close to ECO's, about 6 doors away and its always packed, I've managed to get a seat occasionally midweek by calling in when its quiet, even then it would have to be early evening, its just too popular which tends to ruin the meal when the elbow of the person sitting at the next table is in your soup

Advertisement