Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eco Restaurant, Douglas

Options
  • 21-04-2008 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Would anyone recommend this restarant? It is quite difficult to get a reservation which suggests it is good.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭chuci

yup its great think the waiting list is about a month for a big enough party. their stir fry is the business though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭smiler26

Food is great - however, the table arrangements is a bit claustrophobic IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭chuci

smiler26 wrote: »

+1

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

+2. I'd been meaning to go there for years, but I felt left down when I actually got there. East Village has nice munch, is probably cheaper and has a shorter lead time.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DannyBuoy

+3
    Was there a few months ago and will certainly never go there again, food was ok but we felt like sardines in a can. I had to move if anyone around me got up or was being served. The air conditioning was working full time aswell because of the crowd that were jammed into it, to the extent that the candle on the table kept blowing out! My partner had to put back on her jacket. I asked to be moved but there was no other table available.

In short, just not worth the hassle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

I'll probably get shot for saying this because there seems to be a cult following with Eco but seriously, the place is a dark dingy kip!

The food is OK, not amazing, just OK. I suppose for the price it aint too bad but I just get annoyed when I hear people saying the food is great.

The desserts are pretty good I'll admit that :)

The place is a victim of it's own success, too cramped, loud, hot etc. Come around to my place and I'll cook you something...not!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

I think it's an overrated restaurant.
    Food is fine..and as the others said, it's very cramped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭bill_ashmount

Was in there recently, not impressed with the food or the layout of the place. The staff were nice though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

I just get annoyed when I hear people saying the food is great.

I think about 75% of people just don't know what good food is and are not fussy about what they eat.

I have been recommended restaurants before and when I eventually eat there it is not even average. The Spice of India in Bishopstown is a recent example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭BeansMeansHynes

Food is really nice out of there. Especially the Stir Fry! It is very cramped and claustrophobic. It is reasonably priced for the big portions that you get.

Bully's across the road is nice but they have put their prices up recently and is way overpriced for what you get. Starters at 8.95. No thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Food is OK but overpriced.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭StandnDeliver

you want good food,go across to the Indian restaurant its divine,nice service,reasonable prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

The seating plan alone stops me from going to Eco. Understandably, they are trying to maximise their numbers but it really takes away from the overall experience. I last went in November with a group of 6, booked 2 months in advance, and spent the night playing Musical Chairs with the people at the table behind us. The food, yeah it's OK. It's not astounding by any means but you'll eat it. In my experiences they are very accommodating RE: serving stuff on the side, excluding certain ingredients, staff knowing what exactly is in a dish, etc etc. The staff are also very obliging, a big change from the usual shower you'd expect in the city.

As per another poster, Bully's across the road is just as good but recently it upped it's prices. East Village is better VFM imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭le_dazzler

The food is grand, but not as good as its reputation imo ... and certainly not the place to bring a biggish (4+) group.

If i was going to eat anywhere in douglas it would be nakon thai

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

I like to eat and in my experience the best restaurants in cork are augustines (washington st), the ivory tower, greenes & issacs (mccurtain street), jacobs on the mall, jacques, star anise(bridge street), cafe paradiso and ecos.
    Ecos is very poky and so not to everyones standards but its also comparitively speaking dirt cheap.
    With its size its not suitable for anyone other then couples though. You will normally have to book ahead, i rang last fri night to get a table for 5 pm on a saturday thinking itd be quite then but no they only had one table available and that was at half four.
    Someone said the food in the east village was better !!! You kidding. For a pub/restraunt its fairly good but not up to ecos and i reckon its more expensive. I use to work there.
    Mmmm the thought of eco's roasted veg is making me hungry, oh and the pork loins mmmmm. For the price its amazing, amicus was nearest to it for low cost good food until it moved. Not as good since though.

That was me, and that's not what I said.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭2-ShortDa5foot5

smiler26 wrote: »

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭rebs23

The table layout is also the reason I just don't go there. Not that they care, the place is always amazingly packed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Persol

lledar wrote: »
    Would anyone recommend this restarant? It is quite difficult to get a reservation which suggests it is good.

For the standard of restaurants in Ireland as a whole, definitely eco is one of the best restaurants of Cork!!!!
    Enjoy the eco experience! Great food, decent prices and cool staff!

If you are too cheeky, you will definitely need to fly out of Ireland to find the perfect restaurant for you!

If you are hungry, go to eco's! if you are are cheeky, like some here, fly to NewYork! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Persol wrote: »
    For the standard of restaurants in Ireland as a whole, definitely eco is one of the best restaurants of Cork!!!!
    Enjoy the eco experience! Great food, decent prices and cool staff!

If you are too cheeky, you will definitely need to fly out of Ireland to find the perfect restaurant for you!

If you are hungry, go to eco's! if you are are cheeky, like some here, fly to NewYork! :-)

...........What?

I didn't like to say...

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DannyBuoy

Eh...

no.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

For the standard of restaurants in Ireland as a whole, definitely eco is one of the best restaurants of Cork

Years ago it was one of the best because there wasn't a whole lot around. Now it's lagging behind...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

parsi wrote: »
    Years ago it was one of the best because there wasn't a whole lot around. Now it's lagging behind...

+1

For those who dont rate the food in eco's, why and where do you reckon is better especially when the price is taken into account.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭rebs23

Balmed Out wrote: »
    For those who dont rate the food in eco's, why and where do you reckon is better especially when the price is taken into account.

Is that a serious question? Most restaurants in the city centre are far superior to ecos in terms of food, even if you have to pay a bit more.

As i said earlier augustines, the ivory tower, greenes, issacs, jacobs on the mall, jacques, star anise, cafe paradiso fair enough but you have to pay a LOT more then you do in eco's and in my opinion the food isnt that much of a difference. Most of the city centre restraunts outside of that list that ive tried are way inferior. Where would you think is better especially at that price level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

I love eating in Eco but the layout is a real turn-off, this is what I do to get a booth - book for 4 and tell them you want a booth cos of someone's bad back - take the booth and then they'll come for the order and tell them the rest of the party is going to be late, when you've gotten your first course, tell them the rest of the party can't come - then you have a spacious booth!!! It's evil, but if you want to eat there, it's the only way!

Advertisement