Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good pubs in Ennis

Options
  • 20-04-2008 8:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭

Where do you guys like to drink? I tend to go to Brandons alot. It's a bit starved on the woman front but laterbar entry is free and it's good on bank holidays and other nights where the rest of town is just waaay too packed.

Lucas's has a nice atmosphere. Great beer garden.

The Barge Rooms are good. The crowd has gotten alot older in there in the last year or two though.

Generally find Charlies/Knoxes/TomSteels too crowded these days. Ends up being a bit of a cattle mart. But that's where most of the young ones go..

Town could definately do with some new places. There are only 3 or 4 bars for the younger drinker and they're too mobbed. When I started drinking 6 years ago you 5 or 6 good places in the Market alone. Now there's **** all. Town could also really do with a new nightclub. The Gasworks is too small and The Queens is absolutely filthy. They're not going to fix the place anytime soon unless they have some competition.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

When I go to visit in-laws in Ennis we usually go to the Old Ground bar, I think it's called the poets corner, or inn - I'm not exactly sure. Would be more for older people than you O.P., I think.
    Nice bar, very busy anytime I've been, there's a lovely barman there David from Killarney, the father in-law, in his late fifties, and himself, in his early twenties, seem to have mighty crack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

Lovely spot alright. Best pub lunches in town. Staff are very friendly as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Brandons is where it is at. Usually hit Steeles beforehand, or MAy Kearneys, or else someones house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Jay P wrote: »
    Brandons is where it is at. Usually hit Steeles beforehand, or MAy Kearneys, or else someones house, .
    I thought brandons was a chemist. :D they got worst night club of the year not too long ago, thats why they removed the cover charge and hiked up the price of cans.

Try the copper jug in Lifford if you want a place that keeps serving :).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I thought brandons was a chemist. :D they got worst night club of the year not too long ago, thats why they removed the cover charge and hiked up the price of cans.

LOL

• Advertisement

What are you saying? Brandons has the best craic in town! The Queens is full of skobes and the Brage rooms is full of scumbags, while Brandons is free from both. It's home of Ennis' artsy folk!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭exiot

Spend alot of time in Brandons, its a complete kip but the people there make it, walk in at any time and know nearly everyone in there.

Knoxs isnt half bad when its not too packed

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Knox's is a grand spot

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭ollaetta

What's the general opinion on Cruises? Personally, I think it could be a very good pub but it's not and they don't seem to give a sh*te.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

They are just interested in making as much money as possible, the crowds are going to throng in there at the weekends so they don't have to do anything to make money

• Advertisement

Where be Cruises? I think for the life of me where it is. And Charlies isn't mentioned, besides the first post, Charlies is flippin class, unless I don't get in, which is pretty ghey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭bowsie casey

I was in Ciaran's Bar the other night for the first time in years. Bit of a session on inside, and a great atmosphere. I was impressed.

JayP: Cruises is at the front of the Queens

Charlies sucks. It's really narrow so it's annoying when it gets full. The decor is ugly. They play **** chart music and lots of Brian Adams, It's Raining Men and dated cheese. Too many televisions. The smoking areas like a broom closet. Can't understand how it's popular except that lots of people like **** cattlemarts instead of proper pubs.

I quite like Cruises during the week. Good trad sessions. Havne't been there at the weekend in a long time.

Bowsie: wouldn't sort us out with a carpet would you?

I was in Ciaran's Bar the other night for the first time in years. Bit of a session on inside, and a great atmosphere. I was impressed.

JayP: Cruises is at the front of the Queens

Yeah, I was actually walking past it when I asked my friend where it was. Shpank you anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Hawk Wing

Ciarans is grand, like Barron McQ's, All the usual ****holes like Charlies and Knox's are unbearable weekend nights

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

I like the Old Ground, Baron McQ's, Paddy Quinn's and Ciaran's. Baron McQ get some good bands in, and the others are great for sessions. I was in Knox's a couple of weeks ago for the first time in ages and even though I liked it I found the bouncers were a bit "hands on" when closing time came around. :mad:

Anyoone in Brandons on Saturday? Band was awesome!

Looks like The Kings has been rebranded The Library. They're probably hoping to attract a classier clientelle. Or any clientelle for that matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

Town could definately do with some new places. There are only 3 or 4 bars for the younger drinker and they're too mobbed. When I started drinking 6 years ago you 5 or 6 good places in the Market alone. Now there's **** all. Town could also really do with a new nightclub. The Gasworks is too small and The Queens is absolutely filthy. They're not going to fix the place anytime soon unless they have some competition.

Not much chance of any new nightclubs in ennis which is a shame as long as a certain nightclub/hotel owning family are running the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

Jay P wrote: »
    Anyoone in Brandons on Saturday? Band was awesome!
    Good to hear Brandons is still rockin. I used drink there a lot and was an enthusiastic member of the after party crowd;)

• Advertisement

Was in The Library (rebranded Kings) last night for the launch. Was mobbed. Upstairs is nice now. There's a bar up there (was that there before? Don't think so) so you don't have to face the cattlemart downstairs. Lots of seats up there. Decor is nice.

Lots of fit birds in there. Miss Clare was around the place giving out free shots apparently but I wasn't sure which one she was.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,421 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Did the brewery bar open also last weekend?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 codeblack

is MT pockets still open these days? it used to be good, but then it turned into a bit of a dive.

is MT pockets still open these days? it used to be good, but then it turned into a bit of a dive.

Yeah but I think it's called the Lifford or something. Apparently it aint that bad, but it's one of the shadier bars in town. May Kearneys just down the road is pretty nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

Brandons is the best spot on the weekends by far. No trouble and no yobs.

Kearneys is a good alternative to the Queens, but its still far from a proper night club. I usually end up there if I'm not at Brandons.

Lukies is the best local and always a good spot to start the night on the weekends. It also has the best beer garden in towne IMHO.

Lukies deffo has the best beer garden. Service is excellent there as well however busy it is. I drink Guinness so it's a 10 minute wait in lots of places but never there. They also gave me back too much change on a couple of occasions so I'm very partial to the place.

MT Pockets was always pretty dodgy. It has character though. Everything is sticky. I like the way everybody in there is drinking cider straight from the can. It's one of the few places you get to hear hard rock and hip hop at ear bleeding volume rather than **** pop music too. It's gone a bit **** since they closed the back bar and smoking area though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭seany2929

Chuileog wrote: »
    Not much chance of any new nightclubs in ennis which is a shame as long as a certain nightclub/hotel owning family are running the show.
    You took d words right out of my mouth!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Ever since Mike Carr handed it over it has gone down the toilet altogether, the lighting and effects have more in common with an ice cream parlour than a disco barand the soundsystem has no thump. Mike has now taken back the off license after the leasee couldn't handle it, I believe he will be taking back the bar in the near future. :)

Good to hear they're going to sort it out. Get some proper drug dealers in there. I haven't been offered pills for at least a year. I'm quite insulted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭masalbeagdubh

Can anyone recommend a good pub for a drink in Ennis on a week night. I used to go to the halfway house but it seems to have gone downhill over the last year or two. Just a quiet pub with a good pint, friendly staff and a dartboard would be a bonus.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement