Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Directions to the Magic Hill in Sligo

Options
  • 19-04-2008 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭

Just wondering if anybody knows where the magic hill is. You know the one where you park your car on it and it rolls back up the hill. I think its out the manorhamilton road a few miles but not sure.

If you could post a google earth landmark it would be much appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

The place you are looking for is on the Gleniff horseshoe road in Ballintrillick. The best way to get there from Sligo town is to drive out the N15 towards Bundoran. Drive past Cliffoney village and you see a pub called Gorevans (It has a sign on it saying its the "last pub in Sligo"). There is a crossroads at this pub. Turn right at the crossroad, you will then be driving directly towards the mountain.

Drive straight on for about 3 miles and you will come to a crossroads that has a shut down pub and shop, (you can still tell its a shop/pub because it has some of the stickers still on the windows).

From memory this crossroads has 5 exits. Anyway, there is a signpost here pointing towards Gleniff horseshoe. You should take the road slightly to the left.

Drive up this road a mile or 2, there is a small sign (well, there was the last time I was there anyway) on the left hand side of the road telling you when you are at the spot where the car rolls backwards. This sign is very small though so get you passenger to keep an eye out for it.

Those directions are from memory but Gleniff horseshoe is easy enough to find anyway. The hardest part is finding the exact spot where the car rolls. But as long as that little sign is still there you should find the exact spot.

I hope those directions help. They are from memory. The actual drive around the horseshoe road is very scenic also.

If you continue around the road you should see a large cave near the top of the mountain. It's called Grainne and Diarmaids cave. Legend has it that this is the final place they lived before Fionn McCool found them and Diarmaid ended up being killed by a wild boar whilst hunting! Anyway, thats another story.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

Ive never heard of this hill,but I have an idea where it is now due to the good directions.
    I wonder if it works,I'm going to go out an try it soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

boy I tell ya,

"the magic hill" kind of had me thinking something completely different

• Registered Users Posts: 45,822 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Xiney wrote: »
    boy I tell ya,

Oh please! This is a family site ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

boy I tell ya,

You Cannucks!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

boy I tell ya,

I must admit when I seen the post title I thought it was about something completely different too!

Btw I forgot to say that if anyone is going up there to see if their car rolls back up the hill. Imo it's not that exiting, so don't expect anything mental to happen! Your car will just slowly roll back "up" a hill.

I heard a few explainations about it. One was it rolls back because of gravity, which I don't really believe. The other explanation was that it is an optical illusion, and that its not really rolling up a hill, its rolling down a hill but it seems like its rolling up a hill. But maybe there are other expanations out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

I must admit when I seen the post title I thought it was about something completely different too!

Btw I forgot to say that if anyone is going up there to see if their car rolls back up the hill. Imo it's not that exiting, so don't expect anything mental to happen! Your car will just slowly roll back "up" a hill.

I heard a few explainations about it. One was it rolls back because of gravity, which I don't really believe. The other explanation was that it is an optical illusion, and that its not really rolling up a hill, its rolling down a hill but it seems like its rolling up a hill. But maybe there are other expanations out there.

True to your name Last Night/This morning?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Brianb8802

Thanks for the directions

Went out there today, feckin hell thats mad!! :eek::eek:

Thought the car would move at a snails pace but it actually goes quick enough. Well for a car rolling up a hill anyway.

It really does look like a hill. But its gota be an optical illusion.

Couldnt find the cave you were talking about, and we drove down the road a good bit, ended up in a bog

• Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭magnumlady

It is a cool place, if memory serves me right there is one in Glencar too.

I'm just after getting back from this place and I must not have done it right becaus eI couldnt get my car to roll 'up' the hill.There is a sign that tells you where to stop and that you will start to roll up the hill but not for me.

I wasnt very impressed:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Brianb8802

bobcar61 wrote: »
    There is a sign that tells you where to stop and that you will start to roll up the hill but not for me.

Didnt see any sign there, just saw a teagasc one about sheep

Brianb8802 wrote: »
    Didnt see any sign there, just saw a teagasc one about sheep

Ahh damn don't tell me I was in the wrong place.

I passed the area that had a sign about the horseshoe and continued on and came to a fairly steep hill and there was a sign on the left of the road that said "STOP and now your car will roll back up the hill" but I just rolled back down the hill.

Went a bit further up the narrow road and there was a sign painted on the road saying something along the lines.."Don't be the waiting duck,watch out for some " "(cant remember the guys name it said)...hadnt a clue what that was about.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Ahh damn don't tell me I was in the wrong place.

I passed the area that had a sign about the horseshoe and continued on and came to a fairly steep hill and there was a sign on the left of the road that said "STOP and now your car will roll back up the hill" but I just rolled back down the hill.

Went a bit further up the narrow road and there was a sign painted on the road saying something along the lines.."Don't be the waiting duck,watch out for some " "(cant remember the guys name it said)...hadnt a clue what that was about.

Bob, is it possible this was all a dream? This was a fairly weird thread from the start, but your just bringing it into Twilight Zone territory now...

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭tulipandthistle

I haven't been to this one but I went to the one called Electric Brae" in Ayrshire. It's a mad experience isn't it?!! Can't wait to do this one!!

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭RoseBlossom

I was there as a kid but we parked facing up the hill, turned everything off, went up the hill *magically* and then momentum brought us down the other side for a good bit. I remember whizzing past some startled-looking men who seemed to be Council workers or something! It was great! Nowadays with power steering you'd have to curtail that mad trip or risk ending up in a field!

I've heard water runs up the hill too...I'd really love to know what causes it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

I've heard water runs up the hill too...I'd really love to know what causes it.

Water pump perhaps?;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Jabby

I'm just after getting back from this place and I must not have done it right becaus eI couldnt get my car to roll 'up' the hill.There is a sign that tells you where to stop and that you will start to roll up the hill but not for me.

I wasnt very impressed:(

You're supposed to stop at the sign, look around to see your car reverse up the hill... it does work. This is only one of two spots in Ireland that this can happen. The other is in Tipperary -Galtee Mountains I think.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Pardon my ignorance- you look out the rear of your car and see your own car somewhere else reversing up a hill?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

there is loads of them things, they occur when you have 2 stretches of road with a steep slope and section in between with a gentler slope you lose your sense of what level actually is, the middle section will look level or even sloping the oposite direction relative to the slope in the roads either side

stuff can't roll uphill

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Jabby

SDooM wrote: »
    Pardon my ignorance- you look out the rear of your car and see your own car somewhere else reversing up a hill?

I will do.. Let me explain that a little clearer for you. You stop at the sign. You look out your rear window and watch yourself AND your car (Whilst you are still in your car) reverse up the hill. It obviously doesn't REALLY happen...It's an optical illusion. Are you still confused?

• Advertisement

It would have made it so much easier of someone told me that I should look out my rear window,nobody ever said that.
    Thanks Jabby

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭RoseBlossom

mukki wrote: »
    stuff can't roll uphill

:( Not even magically?

<cries at destruction of childhood memories>

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

stuff can't roll uphill

Yeah..., right lol
    and I suppose there's no Santy either..!!!

MikeySligo wrote: »
    Yeah..., right lol
    and I suppose there's no Santy either..!!!

:eek::eek::eek::eek:No Santa?:eek::eek::eek:

Oh my god!!!!!!!!!! You've just crushed all my dreams! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

there is loads of them things, they occur when you have 2 stretches of road with a steep slope and section in between with a gentler slope you lose your sense of what level actually is, the middle section will look level or even sloping the oposite direction relative to the slope in the roads either side

I'm bringing a spirit level.

I was listening to i102 today and they were talking about the hill, they had some girls on air and it worked, so its not an illusion.
    They also mentioned this video on youtube:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGFWsvdVH3M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

magnumlady wrote: »
    I was listening to i102 today and they were talking about the hill, they had some girls on air and it worked, so its not an illusion.

yes it is!

don't believe everything you hear presume radio was increasing its popularity for some reason

things can't roll up hill

but......your eyes can play tricks on you

Optical%20Illusions.png

not everything on youtube has to be true
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-0Ms7mId34

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

magnumlady wrote: »

Pfft! I hardly think that anything that they say on that radio station can be taken as truth. Purveyors of muck thats all they are. It's physically impossible for a car to roll up a hill, it defies all the laws of physics. Only conclusion I can come to is, an optical illusion.

Advertisement