Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you think feminism has gone too far?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Another sad lil Masochists hoping to get a trashing from me, funny how many of you lot there are :)
    *hugs*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

*also feels positive about sex*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

zuutroy wrote: »
    Load of ****e imo....women allowed on the men's golf tour...imagine if it were the other way around...murder! Most of the time feminism is only invoked when it suits them.
    Augusta National have the right idea. No wimmens as members and they stand by it firmly.
    Similarily, womens only poker tournaments.

If there was tournaments advertised as "men only" there'd be f*cking war and women chaining themselves to the gates outside in protest etc.
    Many women I encounter want equal rights when it suits them. If a situation arises where they're not happy they just turn on the water works. If a guy reacted like this he'd get a slap. And rightly so

Likewise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Ah and the guess dont' get the reason why women's only evens happen.
    It's to support and encourage women to take an active part in areas which have been seen as sterotypically male so that they can get some skillz.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭imp

And I am afraid I am part of the anti-chivelry brigade. I ******* hate it when a man holds a door open for me.

I hate it when a woman assumes that I'm holding the door open for her because she's female.

I hold the door open for anyone who happens to be walking with/just behind me and it irritates me to think that making the effort to do something kind for someone would cause them to be pissed off at me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

It's to support and encourage women to take an active part in areas which have been seen as sterotypically male so that they can get some skillz.
    Do you, as a woman, not find it somewhat condescending that they'd run women only events though?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Many women I encounter want equal rights when it suits them. If a situation arises where they're not happy they just turn on the water works. If a guy reacted like this he'd get a slap. And rightly so.
    +1
    When feminism started, it was about equal rights, which is fair enough. But it seems to me it's going too far...
    Couldn't agree more. Where I work, the women have their own toilets! Some of them even wear clothes to work!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭JavaBear

taconnol wrote: »
    *Yawn*

Try to be a bit more original in your misogyny please. You're boring us.

Speak for yourself :D

I think Golf got it right:

Gentlemen Only, Ladies Forbidden :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

rb_ie wrote: »
    Do you, as a woman, not find it somewhat condescending that they'd run women only events though?

i do and i'm not even a woman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

That's silly, it doesn't have to be exclusively for women to encourage women to do it. How about a statement in a press release that less women were involved in the mix club the previous year so this year you focus is on getting more women to attend or a similar statement (consider the above an example).

Unless of course, the idea is women will have more fun if its only women there and they can share and say things they couldn't if it was a mixed club which is the exact same reason a men only club would exist. If its sexist for one, its sexist for the other.

It seems your saying girls clubs are okay but boys clubs aren't. I disagree, I think both groups should be allowed have exclusive clubs if thats what they want. Personally I wouldn't be too keen on joining a club full of men, something about a club with only men, actively discouraging women from joining that seems kind of ghey TBH.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭carolmon

imp wrote: »
    I hate it when a woman assumes that I'm holding the door open for her because she's female.

I hold the door open for anyone who happens to be walking with/just behind me and it irritates me to think that making the effort to do something kind for someone would cause them to be pissed off at me.

Totally agree it's basic manners, I also hold the door for anybody behind me, male/ female whatever,
    and I'd view myself as a feminist but dislike when important issues such as global gender inequalities get condensed into being pissed off at somebody being mannerly?? Don't appreciate somebody letting a door slam in my face just to demonstrate he doesn't view me as the weaker sex.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Women will never be as good as men and should never be treated equall or given positions of power

Just look at the f*ck up Maggie Thatcher made, f*ckin c*nt

aye, sure there's never been an empire headed by a woman that owned people and property on all six continents.

just couldn't happen.

rb_ie wrote: »

No.
    Not everyone woman is the type which has the ball busting trail blazing confidence to brave what are seen as male bastions and go in and insist to be treated equally and to tough it out.

Such events encourage female participation and let women gain some confidence and skills and raises the profile of females in such areas which makes other women and girls consider taking up such an instrest.

Ideally there should be no such need for such event but realistically we don't live in an ideal world.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

and of course gender discrimination is alright when it's anti-man.

JavaBear wrote: »
    Gentlemen Only, Ladies Forbidden :cool:

Yeah well as I have said before, I ain't no lady.

Mordeth wrote: »
    and of course gender discrimination is alright when it's anti-man.

No it's not.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Woman. She have small brain.

brim4brim wrote: »
    It seems your saying girls clubs are okay but boys clubs aren't.

Nope that is not what I said.

feck that anti-man crap do you really give a toss about the objectification of men in advertising and such like
    real men didn't notice

edit : on re-reading this i noticed something strong independant men laugh and shun weaker men who worry about girls only poker nights , strong women protect and fight for their "side"/gender
    thats the differece

Man, he have less connections between their right brain and left brain.

There are differences between men and women, they cant' be utterly equal.
    We have to give people equal rights and opportunities but while catering for their differences.

• Advertisement

rbd wrote: »
    feck that anti-man crap do you really give a toss about the objectification of men in advertising and such like
    real men didn't notice

I do, I have a son and a daughter and worry about them both growing up and the impact such things have on them and the pressures and expectations on them both due to their gender.

positive discrimination? i thought more of you

To quote Mr. Burgundy:
    I'm a man who discovered the wheel and built the Eiffel Tower out of metal and brawn. That's what kind of man I am. You're just a woman with a small brain. With a brain a third the size of us. It's science.

djpbarry wrote: »
    To quote Mr. Burgundy:

yeah but he's a pron star what would he know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭useful_contacts

Why? I feel that women who complain when men try to be chivalrous are ruining men for the rest of us.

its just a personal thing, i hold the door open for people if they are coming in after me etc, but thats just being polite. I dont like the whole man holding the door thing (in everyday situations i dont mind, but if i was on a date and he held it open for me id deck him), maybe its just the traits of being a 90s child but its what i think.

EDIT . Then again im more of a pint drinking/ football following girl, and ive mostly male friends so maybe thats why i think that way

positive discrimination? i thought more of you

Womens workshops are not positive discrimination unless they are used to by pass the entry process.

Ie a womens poker session being used to place two women in two held slots for women and thus creating an unfair advantage.

Seriously do guy not know how hard and intimidating it can be to be the only woman at what are considered 'male' events/jobs/trades/environments ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Do people not just get that women are sh*t?

I was at a soccer match lately and Ireland and Arsenal ladies (European champions) played on small goals at half time, usually the type that kids play on

They just shouldnt be given the opportunity to do things like that, if we want to watch a womens match we will go to one, but no one does, as women are so inferior to men

• Registered Users Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Exactly boy, and at that the brain is full up of crap

Womens workshops are not positive discrimination unless they are used to by pass the entry process.

Ie a womens poker session being used to place two women in two held slots for women and thus creating an unfair advantage.

Seriously do guy not know how hard and intimidating it can be to be the only woman at what are considered 'male' events/jobs/trades/environments ?

why can't the women playu in a novices game

i get that wome breaking in to male domninated areas should be supported once they have shown the qptitude to earn and deserve the place
    but
    they should not get there at the expense of a better equiped male even if it is genetic

same goes across the board

• Advertisement

yeah but he's a pron star what would he know
    Oh dear...
    Do people not just get that women are sh*t?
    And people are worried that chivalry is dead...

Advertisement