Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wearing a white dress to wedding

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,153 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Das Kitty wrote: »
    I agree with dudara, it's totally irrelevant. A wedding is about two people being joined together and committing to one another in front of those they love and who love them. It's nothing to do with fashion.

Actually no, thats the marriage. A wedding is the act or ceremony of marriage, as such it comes with many traditions and customs. Many often are taboo to break.

The 'taboo' in question though is a bit silly considering the bride shouldn't be wearing white unless she is a virgin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Glitzy100

White: no
    Black: no

If you're entertaining the idea of something so archane as a wedding, why not stick to tradition?
    White for the bride, black: someone died.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭badolepuddytat

Traditionally the only people supposed to wear white at a wedding is the (virgin:rolleyes:) bride, the brides mother and the mother-in-law. I wouldn't wear white and I think that if people do it shows either ignorance of wedding etiquette (not a hanging offence) or a disregard for peoples feelings. If someone genuinely doesn't know better unfortunately they'll suffer the hostility and if someone thinks f*ck it I don't care if I offend someone well, it says something about their regard for their hosts. It's only one day (that's really important to someone you're presumably close to) and there are so many colours to choose from!

Having said that, most brides aren't going to even notice what someone else is wearing but having to listen to people giving out about 'your wan' in the white outfit would p*ss off anyone who's put a lot of thought and time into organising a wedding day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭aliqueenb

don't do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭giggles

I don't think you should wear a white dress and I'll tell you for why,

I saw a wedding guest in a white dress sitting at a table in the evening (so you could only really see the top of her dress), she was congratulated on her wedding by one of the evening guests who turned up.

The person who congratulated her was a partner of an evening guest so didn't know the couple and just assumed she was the bride. It was pretty embarrasing for all involved!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Don't wer a white dres ffs esp if it is a traditional wedding.
    Black is considered to be bad form, as it's not a funeral.
    Certain cultures frown red dresses as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭chuci

no no no esp if your one is a bridezilla there would be war.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

Don't do it, someone did it at my brother's wedding, rang his wife beforehand and asked if she'd mind and all, but the other guests didn't know that and still bitched about her all day/evening :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭marti101

You could alays find out if the bride is to wear white but me personally i wouldnt wear white to a weding [unless i was the bride] it takes the shine off the bride and its supposed to be her big day not yours

Advertisement