Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wearing a white dress to wedding

Options
  • 16-04-2008 5:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭

Is this an old wives tale? The dress is short, to the knee, looks nothing like a wedding dress, halter type....really like it but not sure about wearing white to a wedding these days?? Thoughts? Am going to accessorise it with red, red jewellery, shoes, bag.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

Personally I wouldnt wear white to a wedding. I might wear white if it was patterned with a different colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Recon

Even I think it would be a bad idea to wear a white dress to a wedding!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,153 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

it depends, is the bride a virgin?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭SarahSassy

Nope, it would still draw attention to you as everyone would be saying 'look at that girl in the white dress' and it would most likely P O the bride on her big day... Wear it to another function but not a white dress to a wedding....

• Registered Users Posts: 16,014 ✭✭✭✭event

you will be hung

people who dont know you will refer to you as the bitch who wore white to so and so's wedding

do not do it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭seaner

was at my friends wedding last year and a gf of one of her hubby's mates wore a white dress. To the knee...with various accessories.
    My friend wasn't exactly delighted with her...and by the end of the night she was in fact being referred to as 'that b*tch who wore white'....for all they knew she could have been a lovely girl...but it didn't matter.

Don't do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

its slightly attention seeking. like "ooo, im so daring by wearing white, see? im a rebel" or "i just didnt think before getting dressed". the fact that you came online to question it shows that you know its not exactly acceptable. yes its old fashioned but really do you want every old biddy shooting you dirty looks? nope :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

Just don't do it! Find something else!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

No no no no no no no! Bad idea!!!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Whilst I wouldn't give two hoots if someone wore white to my wedding I just know some of my aunts, friends would be going on about it, and them annoying me about it would piss me off!

You're opening a world of pain if she's a bridezilla though. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Curvy Vixen

:o I have a white dress with black embroidary and black netting skirts for a wedding we're going to in May and hadn't even considered this! Hhmmmm....

Personally I couldn't care less ~ I wore red at my wedding and my Mum was stunning in white! Warned H2B not to think my Mum was me when she walked down the aisle :D

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Sugar Drunk

depends-

how well do you know the people at the wedding and do you care what they think? Does it bother you if people dont like you?

If you dont know them that well and genuinely dont care what they think then wearing white is fine who cares if they dont like you you wont see them again and you dont care about their opinion.

if you do know them or are in anyway sensitive its a bad idea as theres bound to be some oul one who will give you stick over it! and you will probably end up self conscious wearing it

:o I have a white dress with black embroidary and black netting skirts for a wedding we're going to in May and hadn't even considered this! Hhmmmm....

If it has black embroidery then it isn't a white dress so I wouldn't worry. :D

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Bad form imho, a friend of my mothers wore a long plain white dress :eek: to my sisters wedding and a lot of people commented on it, did not go unnoticed by any stretch of the imagination...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Personally I wouldn't do it but at a wedding I was at last summer there were several white / off-white dresses and a white suit on different ladies. But as they each walked up for communion they stood out in my head as having a nerve to wear white to a wedding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭JustCoz

I wouldn't to it tbh. An old tradition but I'd be pretty annoyed if someone wore a white dress to my wedding. I was at a wedding a few months ago and the bride specified that no one could wear black because the bridesmaids were wearing black. I thought that was pretty strange

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭mel123

Ok thanks, yis have defo made up my mind for me. I asked about 10 women in work, and they said go for it, no one goes by this anymore, so i just wanted to ask a few more people. I had heard of this before, but to be honest i didnt really think people would still consider it. Anyway, i dont want people talking about me, giving me the daggers, dont want to take anyones limelight etc etc. No big deal to buy something else. I have often seen people wearing a smart white suite to a wedding but its probably different than wearing a dress.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Recon

Boards.ie, doing good deeds in the community :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Wow, I can't believe that people have nothing better to do than make comments about the colour of dresses at weddings.

It's completely irrelevant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

^^
    It's normal that women look at other womens style/clothing..esp at weddings!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

mel123 wrote: »
    Is this an old wives tale?
    Are you joking? The dogs on the street know this. I thought all women would be well aware of this. As a bloke ignorant of most stuff about weddings, or fashion "rules" I do know that one.
    SarahSassy wrote: »
    Nope, it would still draw attention to you as everyone would be saying 'look at that girl in the white dress'

I was at one with a woman in a white dress. It was not "look at that girl", it was "look at that f*cking c*nt, who the f*ck does she think she is."

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

Nah I wouldn't do it. But is it acceptable to wear black to a wedding? I wouldn't have thought so but several people were, at my cousin's wedding last month.
    It's really hard to find a dress that isn't black or white or pastel coloured (blech). And not the same colour as the bridesmaids dresses. I ended up going for a green dress, and some other girl was wearing it! So embarrassing *sigh*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Black is ok; white is not.

dudara wrote: »
    Wow, I can't believe that people have nothing better to do than make comments about the colour of dresses at weddings.

It's completely irrelevant.

It's not irrelevant, weddings are pretty much a fashion show. At the mass as people are walking up the aisle for communion what else does one do but look at the clothes people are wearing. I'm not very religious so I'm hardly gonna have my eyes closed and be praying to god. It's exactly because I've nothing better to do and without really thinking too much into it I'd frown upon women wearing white dresses at the wedding.

IzzyWizzy wrote: »
    Nah I wouldn't do it. But is it acceptable to wear black to a wedding? I wouldn't have thought so but several people were, at my cousin's wedding last month.
    It's really hard to find a dress that isn't black or white or pastel coloured (blech). And not the same colour as the bridesmaids dresses. I ended up going for a green dress, and some other girl was wearing it! So embarrassing *sigh*

I wore a black dress to my brothers wedding, I don't see any problem with it. It's mortifying when someone is wearing your dress, particularly if it's an unusual colour and blatently stands out as being the same as someones. Black can be safer, less people would notice anyone else having the same dress.

I agree with dudara, it's totally irrelevant. A wedding is about two people being joined together and committing to one another in front of those they love and who love them. It's nothing to do with fashion.

Unfortunately people get put out over the slightest thing when it comes to weddings, I have no problem with, nor would I even really notice if a girl was wearing a white dress at a wedding.

I'd never wear one myself (apart from my own!) but I wouldn't be bothered about anyone else wearing one.

However I know if someone does wear one at mine I'll have my ear bent by people going on about "the cheek" and the like, and that's annoying. There's only so many times you can say "yeah, and..." to people before flipping!

:D

I'm more worried about a possible +1 of a guest that's an attention whore, at the last wedding, she made a point of standing on one of the tables on the dancefloor to try to stop the people from moving it, for no other reason than "LOOK AT ME, I'M MAD!". I'm praying she'll be gone to Australia in time for mine.

Das Kitty wrote: »
    I agree with dudara, it's totally irrelevant. A wedding is about two people being joined together and committing to one another in front of those they love and who love them. It's nothing to do with fashion.

I'd never wear one myself (apart from my own!) but I wouldn't be bothered about anyone else wearing one.

However I know if someone does wear one at mine I'll have my ear bent by people going on about "the cheek" and the like, and that's annoying. There's only so many times you can say "yeah, and..." to people before flipping!

Why wouldnt you wear a white dress to a wedding if you think what people are wearing is irrelevant? Of course it's all about the couple getting married but come on it's a long day, no one specifically concentrates on what a wonderful day it is for the couple the whole time, your mind will always wander to different things.

I'm probably coming off as being one to freak out over it. I was merely saying I'd frown upon it in my head for a few seconds and then get over it. I'd actually have no problem if a woman was in a white dress at my own wedding, but am aware that it would upset some brides so I wouldn't chance inflicting it on them on their big day.

Cathooo wrote: »
    Why wouldnt you wear a white dress to a wedding if you think what people are wearing is irrelevant?

Because it pisses people off. What you wear is irrelevant, but upsetting people isn't.

Because it pisses people off. What you wear is irrelevant, but upsetting people isn't.

But that's the whole point of the thread :confused: It's relevant because it pisses people off. I don't understand how it can be both relevant and irrelevant at the same time.

Maybe wires are just getting crossed, I wouldn't do it to a bride anyway.

It's irrelevant and shouldn't bother people, and people who are bothered by it should chill the feck out. But we don't live in an ideal world, people get annoyed by this stuff and even though they're wrong to be getting annoyed I'm not going to go and upset them by doing it.

How's that? :D

• Advertisement

It's irrelevant and shouldn't bother people, and people who are bothered by it should chill the feck out. But we don't live in an ideal world, people get annoyed by this stuff and even though they're wrong to be getting annoyed I'm not going to go and upset them by doing it.

How's that? :D

Perfect ;) I agree people get way too bothered about these things!

Advertisement