Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

speeding fine query

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭masseyno9

Gil_Dub

I actually remember the thread on here about that. Sounded horrific. But that doesn't mean that everyone who speeds is as inconcsiderate as the person that hit you. I think your reaction was a bit of a high-horse stance (perhaps understandably so) but was also a bit off topic with regards to the OP's question.

As you said the person who hit you was driving recklessly, the OP admitted openly to speeding (his friend, whatever) and accepting the penalty imposed upon him and his license.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,066 ✭✭✭✭unkel

astraboy wrote: »
    I'd say your the "Wankstain". Breaking the speed limit on a Motorway, how henious!:eek::rolleyes:

Glad you've found a new hobby, butting into others business and getting pleasure from others cars being seized, jelous, petty and small minded people like you are those that make living in Ireland a chore. Get a life and a real hobby, preferably one that will have you removed from the gene pool sooner rather then later, one can only imagine the little Hitlers you would raise. :eek:

Have a nice day now.

That's well out of order, astraboy...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

deman wrote: »
    Like Gil, I had a near fatal accident where my son was airlifted to the nearest "bigger" hospital, my daughter broke her back in three places and my wife and I had serious difficulties walking for a year after the accident. All because of a careless driver. No, he wasn't speeding. But if he had been, I wouldn't be here now telling you about it. So, yes, like Gil, I've become very intolerant towards speeding drivers, slow drivers, wreckless drivers, careless drivers and driving without reasonable consideration, whatever. Does everyone need to have a brush with death to realise this?

Exactly, you prove our point. Some Drivers are just plain dangerous, no matter what speed they drive at. Wreckless drivers in general are what gets my back up, but how hard is it for people to understand that many speed limits in Ireland and simply inappropriately low. 80Kph on a dual carriage way? I'm not sorry for say this, but speed limits like that are a pisstake, and yes I break the speed limit occasionally, normally on a dual carriageway when the conditions allow it(which is rare TBH). I choose a safe speed for the road, the conditions and the traffic as well as the car I'm driving. I'll be damned if I let some clown in a council office with a map tell me whats a safe and realistic speed for a particular road.

Again, I am against inappropriate speed, but that is different from breaking what are often draconian and stupidly low limits.

I hope everyone has made a recovery after your accident, but it simply shows that more driver training to prevent carelessness on the road, as well as more cops on the road, would be far more beneficial then speed cameras. Speed cameras don't detect idiots on the road...

@Unkel, I edited the original post, I was a bit harsh, put it down to college stress.

@Gil_Dub, I misread your original post. My apologies, however I do think just blaming pure speed is single minded and you do seem to be up on your high horse, however I understand your POV but careless and wreckless drivers are the issue, and that includes those that drive too fast, above and below the limit. Speed cameras won't take the careless drivers off the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

masseyno9 wrote: »
    But that doesn't mean that everyone who speeds is as inconcsiderate as the person that hit you.
    The faster a vehicle travels, the greater the damage it will cause when it hits something. It does not matter how skilled the driver, an impact may result from somebody else's mistake. Society has set an upper limit on the risk that people should be subjected to. Anyone who breaks the law is not being considerate of the risk to others posed by their speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

The faster a vehicle travels, the greater the damage it will cause when it hits something. It does not matter how skilled the driver, an impact may result from somebody else's mistake. Society has set an upper limit on the risk that people should be subjected to. Anyone who breaks the law is not being considerate of the risk to others posed by their speed.

O right, is that why all the Autobans in Germany have exactly the same accident rate, those with or without speedlimits?:confused:

Lets set the speed limit at 5kph so and that'll stop all the accidents.

At the end of the day some speed limits are plain stupid and it makes a mockery of the whole idea of speed limits for safety. Motorways have dividing barriers and pulling people over for going 80Mph on a clear motorway is not doing anything for road safety.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Do you even drive?..A bicycle doesn't count BTW :pac:

So far the majority of your "contribution" to the motoring forum is trolling the speed related topics.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭masseyno9

I agree with the speeding deserves to be penalised thing, but the OP did too. I think you missed my point. I possibly didnt put it across too well. What i meant was that speeding isn't the mother of all evil that can be done on the road. Inconciderate, reckless fools can cause damage if they go 10km/h or 110km/h.

The speed is not the main problem in Ireland, its the idiots that drive on the roads. people with irresponsible attitudes who speed are the worst kind of speeders, like the guys on Northern plates who sit on your rear quarter panel in a line of traffic on an N-road. Or the boy racers who sit on your tail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

Do you even drive?..
    Yes, I both drive and cycle. I also walk.

What's your point? Is there something I said in this thread that you disagree with?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,069 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I choose a safe speed for the road, the conditions and the traffic as well as the car I'm driving. I'll be damned if I let some clown in a council office with a map tell me whats a safe and realistic speed for a particular road.
    Maybe that 'clown' sometimes knows things you don't?

Case in point: the road that runs from the new hotel in Ballymun to the new Charlestown shopping centre in Finglas. Coming from Ballymun, you soon hit a 30km/h section. The road is a bit twisty. The surface looks smooth and perfect. Except it isn't. The surface dressing is not finalised, and what's there at present is the same as on the road where the five school pupils were killed last year in Meath.

But you, with your attitude, would say 'No way this should be 30km/h, I'll be damned etc......', and proceed at 50km/h, 60km/h or whatever. Not realising, or caring, that the lower posted limit is there for a purpose. All of a sudden you have to brake hard for some reason, lose control, possible gene pool loss.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Yes, I both drive and cycle. I also walk.

What's your point? Is there something I said in this thread that you disagree with?

My point is as i said... majority of your "contribution" to the moring section seems to be trolling the speeding topics and putting daft ideas like GPS tracking in cars. TBH if i thought Gay Byrne could use a computer i'd nearly guess you were him.

Do I speed. Yes. Where? I religiously stick to speed limits in built up area's and ****e roads, but on a motorway or decent National road i tend to wander over the PSL. Why? Because I can, In 2 years i've seen f**k all guards checking for speed.

Current points on licence: 0.

Anyhow the OP admitted he was in the wrong . So whats your point.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

@Gil_Dub, I misread your original post. My apologies, however I do think just blaming pure speed is single minded and you do seem to be up on your high horse, however I understand your POV but careless and wreckless drivers are the issue, and that includes those that drive too fast, above and below the limit. Speed cameras won't take the careless drivers off the road.

Agreed. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭return guide

once again a thread has gone arsaways.
    The op was not denying wrong doimg , but questioning the outcome of his meetig with the guard

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

once again a thread has gone arsaways.
    The op was not denying wrong doimg , but questioning the outcome of his meetig with the guard
    True!
    Thats why I'm locking it!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement