Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Name good things and bad things about Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Good: Smoking Ban, Guinness

Bad: Health System, Public Transport

• Registered Users Posts: 81,879 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Clearly Im not the only one subject to Mordeth's idiocracy/sarcasm.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,119 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Good: Mayo, Clare, Galway, Kerry, redheads

Bad: Binge drinking culture; the 'blonde' epidemic; disgusting flabby exposed midriffs; the infestation of horse racing, golf and soccer on TV; betting culture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Brint

[QUOTE=Collie D;55606761
    Overheal wrote: »
    Thats most of why I dont smoke actually.

QUOTE]

That and the fact that it affects your grammar? ;)
    And your ability to use quote tags.

Collie D wrote: »
    Try to get out of Navan more

All of them? :rolleyes:
    This attitude bugs me alright, "aww the Irish wimmin are dogs and the Polish ones are a roide..." I don't get it.

Anyway, on topic... the bad things are plenty in my opinion. Terrible public transport and healthcare, the government's blatant failure at implementing "new" (actually decade old) technologies such as DSL and DVB-T, the fact that many people have to live a huge distance away from Dublin and commute there for work and finally, the stink of corruption from the powers above. There's so many things that could have been done with our new found wealth in the late 90s and a lot of it was blown away. There's many more besides but I won't mention them all, not safe to be posted here. Actually... I think I'd be gone if I didn't have ties here.

On the other hand, the smoking ban has benefitted me immensely. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Yet again Pighead is in top form. Anyway,

Good - The Guinness, proper Carlsberg on tap, the football, pub culture, my mates, sense of humour, sarcasm, gigs, boards.ie and YORE MA.

Bad - Skangers, D4 twats and their 'fashion', the weather, the women (in general), wanker bouncers/publicans, house prices, drink prices, public transport.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

300 an oz is reasonable enough in my eyes, specially for the quality i'm getting. and a tenner a gram for great squidgy afghani is also, imo, reasonable considering most hash starts off around 8 euro in holland iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

so far the only good answer is guinness

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

that's because you have a drug problem

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

good things- countryside,nature,culture,humour, hot redheaded ladies, hot ladies in general, boards.ie (suck up :p)

bad things- scuuumbaags, young peoples tribalism, cigarette prices, lack of awesome terrestrial tv channels,
    edit(oh,and the fact everyone is somehow connected can sometimes be a pain

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Sipping Guinness and relaxing in a comfy pub after a difficult week.*

*The real Guinness, not that stuff produced in the UK or Canada.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,119 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

nerin wrote: »
    hot redheaded ladies

Good man yerself! I'm guessing that there's lots down Kildare/Carlow way? I know one from down there; see my "shouldn't, but would" entry. :)

Also good: Kildare, Carlow, Wicklow, redheads (did I mention redheads?)

Also bad: Guinness, the rash of golf courses gobbling up the countryside, dogs sh1ting all over the paths.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Beanmachine

Dublin and Our History thats it really

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭ImDave

Good: People, The fact that you're never too far from anywhere in Ireland.
    Bad: Weather :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Beerlao

EI-DAV wrote: »
    Good: People, The fact that you're never too far from anywhere in Ireland.
    Bad: Weather :mad:
    wow i was just going to say the exact thing, word for word

and whoever said Dublin and Our History is clearly talking out their arse.
    Dublin is the least Irish part of the country for god's sake!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

If anyone is interested, what people think is 'good' about Ireland is far what people miss when they leave the country.

This is a link from the Abroad forum where ex-pats have listed what they miss about Ireland. 90% of the time its food. The other 10% is Guinness

The things you miss most about Ireland

What's better where you are than in Ireland = weather

• Registered Users Posts: 11,311 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Beerlao wrote: »
    and whoever said Dublin and Our History is clearly talking out their arse.
    Dublin is the least Irish part of the country for god's sake!

Don't be so ridiculous...what defines Irishness for you? If you're gonna post ****e at least back it up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

bouncers in town.

a brilliant way to ruin a night of fun with loads of close friends when they ensure, too many of yiz, is grounds for refusal.

F`ucking c`unts!!!!

I love the train service for me though :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

The weather is ʇıɥs, the politicians are spɹɐʇsɐq, most of us are ugly sɹǝʞɔnɟ and there is way too much depression here.

Music is good though, beer culture is good (possibile relation to depression though), it's a good size of a country to live in, most people are friendly, oh and red lemonade.

Don't be so ridiculous...what defines Irishness for you? If you're gonna post ****e at least back it up
    oooooh i've touched a nerve :eek:

historically, dublin is the least irish part of ireland because the Irish used to be kept out of it

but i wasn't stating fact in my original post, i was giving my opinion, which i'm entitled to. if you've got a problem with that i suggest you grow a pair.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Don1

It has ferry ports and airports so you can leave! This is good! :D
    Bad, we are no longer a nice nation. Money grabbing, social climbing, mé féiners, who have gotten used to too much money too fast. We have been spoiled by poorly managed overly rapid economic growth and now that it has stalled we're all pretty much fugged. Also, becoming more intolerant, racist, small minded, ignorant and downright nasty. Our society, particularly in larger towns and cities is crumbling. (like any other successful country imo.) We drink too much. We fight too much. We complain without actually doing anything too much. We put up with things waaaay too readily, like: a shoddy government, overpricing on just about everthing, shockingly poor infrastructure (from roads to broadband) blah blah blah.
    I quit as I'm getting angry typing.

In short, this place sucks donkies, and I feel sorry for those who shall try in vain to defend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

No doubt the usual suspects will be on saying how much better things are in Belgium or wherever

They're wrong. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Don1 wrote: »
    It has ferry ports and airports so you can leave! This is good! :D
    Bad, we are no longer a nice nation. Money grabbing, social climbing, mé féiners, who have gotten used to too much money too fast. We have been spoiled by poorly managed overly rapid economic growth and now that it has stalled we're all pretty much fugged. Also, becoming more intolerant, racist, small minded, ignorant and downright nasty. Our society, particularly in larger towns and cities is crumbling. (like any other successful country imo.) We drink too much. We fight too much. We complain without actually doing anything too much. We put up with things waaaay too readily, like: a shoddy government, overpricing on just about everthing, shockingly poor infrastructure (from roads to broadband) blah blah blah.
    I quit as I'm getting angry typing.

In short, this place sucks donkies, and I feel sorry for those who shall try in vain to defend it.
    Pighead has a feeling somebody has been having a crappy life thus far. There's a lot of bitterness in this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Beanmachine

I never said Dublin is the most irish of places your correct in saying it is probably the least irish if anything but its what i like about ireland.

So i'm not really talking out of my arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Don1

No, I've had a good life so far. All 25 years of it. Just the better times have been outside of here. My eyes have been opened to the joys of other places.Only country I've been in that was crapper than here is Finland, but I still had a right laugh over there due to the people I was with and the snow. Actually, Finland get's snow, so it's not sooo bad............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭buckfast4me

Good things

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Good: Good scenery, green, quiet, peaceful, economic and financialy stable, people are nice.

Bad: Weather, nothing much to do that doesn't involve drinking, too many drunk people on streets at night time, Dublin is crazily expensive to live in for what it offers, women are difficult to approach comparitively, Knackers.

well i will say from my experience:

quality of life in Australia > Ireland > England > France

there's plenty to moan about here, but we have it better than most places

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,879 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Mordeth wrote: »
    300 an oz is reasonable enough in my eyes, specially for the quality i'm getting. and a tenner a gram for great squidgy afghani is also, imo, reasonable considering most hash starts off around 8 euro in holland iirc.

ounce iirc is about 70 euro in the states

Advertisement