Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are sunbeds worse than going out in the sun?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭kizzyr

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Oh really ? then you clearly don't know about UV treatments for skin disorders and for S.A.D.

Yes you can it's called being mostly nocturnal and using a parasol.

Even when under dr's orders to do so ?

Well actually I do. I have psoriasis, have had for over 10 years now. At one stage it was getting worse and worse and nothing the dermatologist prescribed was making any difference. In the end I was hospitalised for 6 week to undergo a series of tar baths (lovely) and UV treatments to treat the affected skin.
    The difference between this and going to your local salon and using a sun bed is that it was a) under strict medical superivision and b) only the skin affected with the psoriasis was exposed to the UV rays. All of the unaffected skin was covered up. That is what using UV rays under doctor's orders is like I've been there and got the t-shirt.
    When I was finishing up with the dermatologist (when my skin eventually got to a managable stage) I asked about sunbeds and he was horrified at the idea of anyone using them.

At the end of the day, everyone has their own opinion and it's up to you to make your choice. I do find it incredibly annoying however, when people say that sunbeds should be banned. Are we going to ban everything that may possibly cause harm? If someone wants to use them it's no one else's business. Studies have supposedly shown that even wearing an underwired bra can cause breast cancer. Should we ban underwired bras?

Some studies aren't worth the paper they're written on. As for banning sunbeds, I firmly support that stand point. There is no doubt that sunbeds do cause harm, its not a possibility of causing harm, they do cause it.
    However if people are willing to be that foolhardy with their health by using subeds, smoking, drinking to excess, taking drugs etec that is their choice and their business. It stops being only their business however, when they discover a melanoma, tumour in their lungs, realise they have cancer of the lips and tongue and need a team of medical professionals to help them deal with their illness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 mattyboy20

The only people who complain about sunbeds are people who:
    (a) are too embarrassed and don't have the balls to use them;
    (b) too pale and are physically not able to tan
    (c) busybodies with too much time on their hands!

Use a sunbed if you want-very relaxing:)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

mattyboy20 wrote: »

:pac:

Here we go again!

:p

Yes, because it takes such bravery to use a sunbed:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 corkfun

Das Kitty wrote: »
    They're much stronger than the sun. Which is why you only stay in them for 4 minutes starting off.

Apart from that the effects are exactly the same as from the sun. They age your skin, increase the risk of skin cancer, tan/burn you, dry your skin and give you vitamin D just like the sun does.

They are no more or less dangerous than the real sun for the same level of tan.

Here is the World Health Organization Fact Sheet about sun beds.

http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs287/en/

i completely disagree...sun beds are much worse then the sun,

also that fact sheet is from 2005. love to see a more recent /up-to-date one

(A) so one needs balls to get on a sun bed...wow how thing have changed.
    (B) do you have a name for that medical condition
    (C) so one has to have enough time to complain but not enough time to lie under a sun bed.

after read the above post, something else came to mind, if you are going to use one. cover you head. cant be good for the brain.

corkfun wrote: »
    i completely disagree...sun beds are much worse then the sun,

also that fact sheet is from 2005. love to see a more recent /up-to-date one

You disagree with the World Health Organisation?

It's from the WHO, if there was a more recent one it'd be up there.

Love to know what facts you're going on...

You disagree with the World Health Organisation?

It's from the WHO, if there was a more recent one it'd be up there.

Love to know what facts you're going on...

for the record, yes i do disagree with that paper.

but you knock yourself out, with your permatan.
    you have been given the advice.

LOL, still no facts to back up your claim.

You're making a big assumption that I'm tanning there as well... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

LOL, still no facts to back up your claim.

Your right, I cant find one piece of text highlighting the dangers of sunbeds and skin cancer on the whole Internet.

as i said, you have been told about the dangers. its up to you what you do with that information.

c.ya.

Advertisement