Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl sat nav on sale for €199 from Monday.

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 tom1979

158 with postage at dabs
    <no pimping your eBay item>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 tom1979

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭The Yipper

I bought one of the Lidl units at the start of the year and it works fine...apart from the new roads...but that's only to be expected...anyway....I saw where someone said that this unit is basically the same as the Garmin thing....I'm wondering if it'd be possible to buy the garmin maps of USA and use them on the Lidl model....any thoughts ???
    Anyone really care???

:):)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

The Yipper wrote: »
    I saw where someone said that this unit is basically the same as the Garmin thing....I'm wondering if it'd be possible to buy the garmin maps of USA and use them on the Lidl model....any thoughts ???
    Anyone really care???

:):)
    Short answer is NO! While the LIDL unit may use same or similar GPS chips to the Garmin, and the maps may both be from Navteq, you can't just buy the Garmin maps (either on CD or on SD cards) and have them run on the LIDL unit.
    Anyway if you are heading to the US it will probably be cheaper to buy a basic GPS unit over there with US maps already installed. Think you can get bottom of the range/no-name brands for less than $100 if you check around. We have reached the stage, like in the PC world, where buying "software" alone costs more than the "hardware + software" package.
    db.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭johnnyboy4711

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭The Yipper

dowtchaboy wrote: »
    Short answer is NO! While the LIDL unit may use same or similar GPS chips to the Garmin, and the maps may both be from Navteq, you can't just buy the Garmin maps (either on CD or on SD cards) and have them run on the LIDL unit.
    Anyway if you are heading to the US it will probably be cheaper to buy a basic GPS unit over there with US maps already installed. Think you can get bottom of the range/no-name brands for less than $100 if you check around. We have reached the stage, like in the PC world, where buying "software" alone costs more than the "hardware + software" package.
    db.

Thanks for that ...back to the drawing board so!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭aubhall

Data sheet for the lidl satnav
    Model Targa PNA-E3530
    Display 3.5-inch colour display with 65,536 colours
    Navigation software Targa Traveller navigationsoftware (powered by Sygic®)
    Map material TeleAtlas
    GPS-Chipset SiRFGRF3i+ and SiRFInstantFixIITM
    Processor SiRFatlas III™ 372 MHz processor
    Card reader SD Card
    Connectors - SD memory card slot
    - Mini USB
    Highlights - Borderless navigation allover Europe
    - mapmaterial filly pre-installed
    - 2 GB internal memory
    Scope of delivery - Navigation device
    - Holder with suction pad
    - Car charger
    - USB cable
    - Stylus
    - Manual
    - DVD-ROM (incl. map material)
    System requirements - Microsoft® Windows® 2000/XP, Windows Vista®
    - Intel® Pentium® III / AMD Athlon™ or higher
    - DVD-ROM drive
    - USB port
    - Cigarette lighter socket
    Warranty 3 years
    Usable memory cards SD Cards up to 2 GB
    (not incuded)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

For an extra €20 (€119.99) you can get the Garmin Nuvi 200 in maplins. Much better unit if you ask me. I got one on saturday...

<edit> It was Halfords sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭leex

Lidl unit appears to have TeleAtlas maps which are not supposed to be as good in ireland as Navteq (as in Garmin and recent Aldi units).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

neacy69 wrote: »
    For an extra €20 (€119.99) you can get the Garmin Nuvi 200 in maplins. Much better unit if you ask me. I got one on saturday...

have you a link or is it in shop only?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Maplins don't seem to have an Irish website, maplin.ie & maplins.ie redirects to maplin.co.uk with prices in sterling. On there the 200W is listed at £139.99! And B grades at £99.99! Was it A-grade or B-grade stock you got neacy69?

invest4deepvalue.com

I got a A-Grade Nuvi 200. It was in the store in Dundalk Retail Park
    The nuvi 200w was an extra €20 (only difference is widescreen)

Its a great unit used it a few times since then and very happy with it

I got a A-Grade Nuvi 200. It was in the store in Dundalk Retail Park
    The nuvi 200w was an extra €20 (only difference is widescreen)

Its a great unit used it a few times since then and very happy with it

OK my misunderstanding, as there is no 200 on the website I thought that you had got a 200W for €120.

For anyone interested, Currys and Halfords have had the 200W in the last few weeks for €129.99, not sure if that offer is still current, but I think so.

Harvey Norman are currently advertising the 200W at a quote "Great Price" of €188! They should price match Currys or Halfords it you ask nicely!

invest4deepvalue.com

Do-more wrote: »
    OK my misunderstanding, as there is no 200 on the website I thought that you had got a 200W for €120.

For anyone interested, Currys and Halfords have had the 200W in the last few weeks for €129.99, not sure if that offer is still current, but I think so.

Harvey Norman are currently advertising the 200W at a quote "Great Price" of €188! They should price match Currys or Halfords it you ask nicely!

Just realised I actually got this Halfords not Maplins sorry for the confusion....Was a busy day on saturday!

Just realised I actually got this Halfords not Maplins sorry for the confusion....Was a busy day on saturday!

inga problem!

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

thanks. so whats the difference between the 200 and the 250? According tp the garmin website they have the eact same features when compared. I see halfords have the 200w for £95 online but Blanchardstown isn't on the reserve and pick up list.

sweetie wrote: »
    thanks. so whats the difference between the 200 and the 250? According tp the garmin website they have the eact same features when compared. I see halfords have the 200w for £95 online but Blanchardstown isn't on the reserve and pick up list.

Halfords only offered me either the Nuvi 200 for e119.99 or the 200w (widescreen being the only difference) for an extra e30...

I cant see any difference between the 200 and the 250 from a couple of quick google searches...but I'm no expert on sat-nav's

It's not very clear from the compare function on the Garmin website but the 200 and 200W has UK & Ireland maps only, the 250 has full European maps.

invest4deepvalue.com

Advertisement