Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl sat nav on sale for €199 from Monday.

Options
  • 05-04-2008 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hi All,

Don't have a clue about sat nav and I'm lookin' to buy one for himself although I'm the one with no sense of direction. I've had a quick read around here and other sites. I'm not a big fan of Targa stuff and I'm just wondering if the Lidl one would be a good buy? We would only need it for Ireland and possibly the UK.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Mrs. Doyle wrote: »
    Hi All,

Don't have a clue about sat nav and I'm lookin' to buy one for himself although I'm the one with no sense of direction. I've had a quick read around here and other sites. I'm not a big fan of Targa stuff and I'm just wondering if the Lidl one would be a good buy? We would only need it for Ireland and possibly the UK.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks.

Haven't looked at the spec of the lidl one, but you can buy the garmin 200 navi from komplett.ie for €165. Bought one a few weeks ago, am very happy with it.. it comes with a lithium-ion batter so you can walk around with it too... Also all the maps of Europe are loaded up on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,115 ✭✭✭Invincible

Haven't looked at the spec of the lidl one, but you can buy the garmin 200 navi from komplett.ie for €165. Bought one a few weeks ago, am very happy with it.. it comes with a lithium-ion batter so you can walk around with it too... Also all the maps of Europe are loaded up on it.

Or you can get a Garmin Nuvi 250 widescreen for 178 euro on www.pixmania.com :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Tesco have one dont know what make though for less than 199, you can get a Sony one as well for the same price, last saw one in Xtra Vision

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭alastair_doom

misco.ie have a sat nav for 100 delivered. Thread on hotukdeals.com about it. I'll add a link later when I'm on a pc. Probably not great tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭alastair_doom

Looks like it would cost about 108 euro delivered, possibly cheaper from the UK site.
    misco

Heres the link to the HUKD forum: http://hotukdeals.com/item/165105/looket-3-5-touchscreen-sat-nav-with/

No feedback about it yet there tho, hopefully monday morning a few people will get them, and report if Tomtom maps can be used with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Damomayo

you can buy the garmin 200 navi from komplett.ie for €165. Bought one a few weeks ago, am very happy with it.. ... Also all the maps of Europe are loaded up on it.

Just wondering what the coverage in ireland is like with these .... does it have 100% coverage even in the wild, wild west? :)

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭the corpo

for anyone who has the garmin, is it only possible to power via the cigarette lighter? or can it be hardwired in?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 dexsan

have these ones got bluetooth the one for sale in lidl has hands free any thing with that is over 300 EUROS

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭philbee

ive used garmins now for a few years and i wouldnt use anything else. They come with a car lighter fitting as standard and the latest maps are ver 10 and they cover all of europe. I buy mine from http://www.pentagongps.co.uk/ the 760t is just over 300 euro delivered from them and i saw it on sale in harvey normans for 459 euro, i bought 3 :) the other two are sold on already!

as far as i know the maps on the lidl one are the same as the one garmin use Navteq’s Q2 2007 maps of Europe pre-installed might be wrong

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭Doodee

dexsan wrote: »
    as far as i know the maps on the lidl one are the same as the one garmin use Navteq’s Q2 2007 maps of Europe pre-installed might be wrong

does that mean you can also use the Speed traps software on them?

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Bang Bang

The Lidl sat nav also uses the same guts as the more expensive Garmin models. They use the Sirf Star 111 chip and NAVTEQ maps which are fully updateable online.
    All in all the Lidl sat nav is a very good buy as it also has Bluetooth and FM transmitter, as well as a video viewer. It also comes with all the accessories, window mount, power adapter (as well as car charger) and carry pouch. These are all optional extras with Garmin and other well known brands where you must pay seperatley for them. But someone will come along now and say otherwise, but trust me I'm using one. (Targa PN-M4320 from Lidl)

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭pajoemccracken

ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller=Hi,
    I bought the Becker/Ferrari pro traffic assist 729 after it was tipped on boards.
    Its 165 delivered from dabs.ie

Cons:
    The maps are Navteq 2006.
    No bluetooth.

Pros:lots
    main one is that it is an Official Licensed Ferrari Product in original Ferrari colours Rosso Corsa and Nero Daytona.

Its 525 sterling on beskers own store!

your right i paid for the expensive garmin and my friend got the lidl one the other day, its better then my one, mine has the older 06 maps the lidl one has the 07 maps its as good as a 450 to 500 euro sat nav.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

philbee wrote: »
    ive used garmins now for a few years and i wouldnt use anything else. They come with a car lighter fitting as standard and the latest maps are ver 10 and they cover all of europe. I buy mine from http://www.pentagongps.co.uk/ the 760t is just over 300 euro delivered from them and i saw it on sale in harvey normans for 459 euro, i bought 3 :) the other two are sold on already!

that site keeps crashing firefox, damn it to hell...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭johnfás

Do Tesco sell Sat Navs? Decent prices?

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Bang Bang

dexsan wrote: »
    your right i paid for the expensive garmin and my friend got the lidl one the other day, its better then my one, mine has the older 06 maps the lidl one has the 07 maps its as good as a 450 to 500 euro sat nav.

The more i look at and use the Lidl sat nav the more I see how much of a bargain I got. It's a fine system and the Bluetooth for the phone is so much better than having a slug stuck in your ear:D

Also... I spotted them still instock in Lidl Blanchardstown SC yesterday afternoon;)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Damomayo wrote: »
    Just wondering what the coverage in ireland is like with these .... does it have 100% coverage even in the wild, wild west? :)
    The concept of coverage isn't the same for Sat Nav. The GPS system used by Sat Nav equipment covers the entire planet, so where you have open sky, you have coverage.

Many of them have auxiliary functions such as traffic alerts, which rely on local transmitters, so you may not coverage for those functions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭blastman

I think he means how good are the maps, seamus. If they're Navteq 07 maps as someone said, I'd say they're pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Damomayo

blastman wrote: »
    I think he means how good are the maps, seamus. If they're Navteq 07 maps as someone said, I'd say they're pretty good.

Yeah i did mean the quailty of the maps tks :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

D'oh :o

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Can you not update the maps to 07? It says on Becker's site that there are regular map updates from their software update service?

I'd love to know if the 07 maps is available as i'm planning on buying the becker 7926 this week!
    I bought the Becker/Ferrari pro traffic assist 729 after it was tipped on boards.

Cons:
    No bluetooth.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

lidl are pretty easy with doing refunds so could be worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭mathie

Its 165 delivered from dabs.ie

Cons:
    No bluetooth.

Pros:lots
    main one is that it is an Official Licensed Ferrari Product in original Ferrari colours Rosso Corsa and Nero Daytona.

Its 525 sterling on beskers own store!

Anyone know if the Becker Ferrari Traffic Assist 7929 is any good in terms of maps and functionality?
    Thanks
    M

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Catalyst

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Darthrodney

Lads,
    Memory-C are doing the same Garmin as posted above too ... 156Euro + shipping for those that are "E-Bay"phobic.

I had one of the old ALDI Sat Nav's (Medion I think) it was good, but trust for the user interface, ease of finding address and updating points of interest etc ... go with a Garmin (or even a TomTom).

I bought this Garmin 250 and could not be happier, full maps of europe too guys ... well well worth the price.

http://www.memoryc.com/gpsnavigation/systems/garminnuvi250.html

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭kkontour

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=334943
    garmin nuvi 250
    142.01 + 13 delivery

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 tom1979

garmin nuvi 250 europe cash 135 euro with 1 yr warranty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,738 ✭✭✭degsie

tom1979 wrote: »
    garmin nuvi 250 europe cash 135 euro with 1 yr warranty
    do tell..... linky?