Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slap on the wrist

Options
  • 03-04-2008 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭

This still seems odd even as I'm typing it, but today I received a slap on the wrist (actually the back of my hand) at work - I'm speaking literally, not figuratively.
    My manager was telling me how to make a change to a spreadsheet we were working on and I when I didn't understand after he had explained a couple of times, he grabbed my arm and slapped me on the back of my hand and then made the change himself. It didn't hurt or anything, it was just a tap, but I was so shocked at the inappropriateness of it that my initial reaction was to laugh it off. The thing is, when I thought about it afterwards it didn't seem all that funny. It was in the middle of an open office and a good few people saw it. Now I'm feeling somewhat humiliated and I'm left wondering how much respect my boss actually has for me (he apologised straight away but I think that was more out of shock at his own actions than anything). Hell, I felt like a little kid being chastised by my father :(
    Even though I laughed it off at the time, I'm planning to draft an email explaining that I feel it was inappropriate and that he should expect a formal complaint if a similar situation were to ever happen again.

Has anyone had similar experiences or advise on this matter?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Completely inappropriate, send that letter to his boss and copy HR on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Chillax!!

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭DetectivFoxtrot

KTRIC wrote: »
    Completely inappropriate, send that letter to his boss and copy HR on it.

Don't do this - this is career suicide!!!!

Yes it was inappropriate and totally wrong but going over his head won't achieve anything good for you. Deal with it with him - I wouldn't draft a mail either, these things are better sorted out face to face imo. Ask can you see him for a minute and explain how the action made you feel and that having now raised it informally with him you don't expect it to happen again. Let him respond and then agree to put it behind you.

By your post it sounds like he was as shocked as you - maybe for a split second he thought he was dealing with one of his kids or something and got frustrated (not that it's right to hit a kid, but as you said, it was more of a tap)

If it were to happen again, which would be higly unlikely if you proceed with the above, only then would I send the mail and cc HR on it ;)

I'm a manager and deal with a lot of office type conflict and the key is:

1) to try and sort it out as informally as possible
    2) not let it fester (i.e. deal with the issues instead of being angry about it)
    3) only go the formal route (i.e. HR) if you don't get co-operation/agreement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

If he apologised and seemed shocked at his own actions then leave it. What difference will it make? If he does it again, it's an issue. This country has jumped on the PC bandwagon a bit too eagerly IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭SarahSassy

davyjose wrote: »
    If he apologised and seemed shocked at his own actions then leave it. What difference will it make? If he does it again, it's an issue. This country has jumped on the PC bandwagon a bit too eagerly IMO.

+1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭board om

its not worth ruining your career over. i wouldnt go dragging HR into it. just settle it between yourselves. if you bring HR into it, then the next time you do something wrong, he could bring HR into that. not worth making it formal.

out of interest was it jokingly done, like did he laugh when he was doing it? or was it serious, like did he actually snap and lose his temper for a minute and do it before he realised what he had done?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Jaysus OP are we all gone so bad that everything is done by the book. If you aint happy say it to his face like a loyal worker would do and not grass him up for a little thing which HR may be forced to escalate as they all go by the book unfortunately as well.

Have a chat with the manager and leave it there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

Just to clarify, I wasn't going to send anything to HR or go over his head about this. I'm not out to get him in trouble because as far as I'm concerned he probably just made a mistake and one mistake of this type doesn't warrant a formal complaint imo.
    Nonetheless, I want to let him know that I'm not happy with that kind of inappropriate action and won't accept it in the future. I'd prefer to do this by email because it lets me compose my thoughts and it gives me a record of any discussion on the matter if something similar should happen again.

board om, he seemed serious when he did it, like he had momentarily lost his temper, and then apologised.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

In fairness, I'd say you're better off forgetting it. I had a boss who'd do that when people got stuff wrong. It was just a quirk. If this really bothers you, just tell him face to face. Writing an email will just make things more awkward. Plus if any of your other collegues get wind of it, they'll probably think less of you and strain relations in the office.

He did apologise for it, so I'm curious what you want from this? Do you want him to apologise again? You said he seemed shocked when he did it, so it's a safe bet he won't do it again. You really should just laugh it off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

a formal complaint imo.
    Nonetheless, I want to let him know that I'm not happy with that kind of inappropriate action and won't accept it in the future.
    you should have told him at the time then - there's no real way of going about it now without looking like a dick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭colly10

I think your over reacting tbh, he sound like a fairly reasonable boss, most bosses get a little frustrated if your not getting it after they've explained it more than once (you are being paid for knowing how to do your job).
    He's not bullying you, id let it slide and if something happens again then consider it an issue. It's up to you what you decide to do but you must be needlessly making an enemy for yourself

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I'm surprised at the way so many people have jumped to the defence of someone whose behaviour sounds inappropriate although not necessarily malicious. Regardless of whether the slap was intentional, a manager's job involves both some amount of training his staff on how to do their job and maintaining a professional relationship with his staff.

Physically hitting someone in frustration, regardless of the manner of doing so or the area struck, is not in any way professional and the only way I can think of it being even vaguely acceptable would be if you were on particularly good terms with your boss and it was done in a matey jocular way, which does not sound like the case here. (Colly10, you can say what you like about being paid to know how to do your job - someone providing instruction on how to do said job is paid to teach you how to do it, so you can't just blame the pupil if they don't immediately grasp what the teacher's trying to explain. It's not like training is a simple thing that anyone can do at the drop of a hat...)

It's worth noting as well that dealing with things informally is all well and good where the person involved accepts their mistake, but when it's a supervisor who is probably the first point of contact for any complaints you might have, it's not so simple. Emailing your concern to your supervisor initially sounds like the best way to go, if you're satisfied with his response you can leave it at that, and if not at least you'll have some evidence to take to HR that you raised it with him but weren't happy with the response...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

advise on this matter?

If the jobmarket for your skills is in your favour, hand in your notice tomorrow explaining that you are leaving due to assault, harassment, bullying and deliberate public humiliation.

If the jobmarket for your skils is not in your favour, write a letter (on paper, not email and keep a copy) demanding that they take actions to prevent further assault, harassment, bully and deliberate public humiliation.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

when I didn't understand after he had explained a couple of times, he grabbed my arm and slapped me on the back of my hand and then made the change himself.

Maybe he wasn't sure how to deal with you incapable of understanding what he said. Would it has been less embarrassing for him to keep explaining something that you couldn't understand in front of the whole office?

This is a nothing issue imo.

Fysh wrote: »
    maintaining a professional relationship with his staff.

While I wouldn't accept bullying from anyone i'd rather work with a boss who's a little less on edge. Professionalism works both ways and when you work with a boss who's a little more informal with staff you know that he's probably someone who won't screw you over either when you take a small step out of line

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭WEST

Talliesin I really hope you are been sarcastic!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

chris85 wrote: »
    Jaysus OP are we all gone so bad that everything is done by the book. If you aint happy say it to his face like a loyal worker would do and not grass him up for a little thing which HR may be forced to escalate as they all go by the book unfortunately as well.

Have a chat with the manager and leave it there

Why is it that doing things the right way such a bad thing?

Fysh - you've saved me typing. well said

Why is it that doing things the right way such a bad thing?

I'll give ye an example of why I feel that going totally by the book isn't always the best option -

Person A - Comes in 20 minutes late 1 day per week
    Person B - Always on time but only covers around half the work of person A
    Boss A - Stickler for the rules, professional at all times
    Boss B - More laid back/informal

Boss A and B will probably treat person B similarly, do little about it while not exactly putting them up for promotion.

Boss A will be happy with person A while probably mentioning their hours if they slide.
    Boss B will probably fire person A even though person A is a better employee than person B

I'd rather work for a boss that uses thier head rather than doing everything straight by the rules although I know a good few would disagree with me on this one

Sorry for the long winded explaination :o

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

colly, how is person A a stickler for the rules if they come in 20 minutes late...?

Anyway - OP, go home and sleep on this before you respond to it. Working relationships are weird - you become familiar with someone and get to know them, but you can't BE familiar with them. I had a sales guy in a company I worked in walk past me one day and he did this weird little skidding dance in front of me and his cheeks flamed up.

Straight away I went 'Eh? What the hell was that?'

I had a singlet on over my shirt. We were good mates at work, and basically on the way past me he got this impulse to do something he does to his sister when she's wearing a shirt with a cardigan or a singlet over it - pull out the bottom of the overgarment and tickle her tummy (over the shirt, mind, but under the top) while making "arblearblearblearble" noises. He had actually started to reach for me before his brain went "DEAR JESUS MAN, WHAT ARE YOU DOING???? THIS IS WORK!!!!" hence the bizarre little on the spot dance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

WEST wrote: »
    Talliesin I really hope you are been sarcastic!
    The second case might not be practical depending on the workplace, but why the hell would anybody put up with something like that if the could get a job elsewhere?

(Unless of course the OP knew the guy well and jokingly using mild physical punishment was appropriate to their out-of-office relationship, in which case they should just say he shouldn't behave like that in the office, but if that was the case I imagine the OP would have said so).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Talliesin wrote: »
    The second case might not be practical depending on the workplace, but why the hell would anybody put up with something like that if the could get a job elsewhere?
    Because it seems like it was a one off incident where the boss made a mistake. It's not like his work is hell or anything. What if he likes where he works and doesn't want to move elsewhere?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

Don't do this - this is career suicide!!!!

Yes it was inappropriate and totally wrong but going over his head won't achieve anything good for you. Deal with it with him - I wouldn't draft a mail either, these things are better sorted out face to face imo. Ask can you see him for a minute and explain how the action made you feel and that having now raised it informally with him you don't expect it to happen again. Let him respond and then agree to put it behind you.

By your post it sounds like he was as shocked as you - maybe for a split second he thought he was dealing with one of his kids or something and got frustrated (not that it's right to hit a kid, but as you said, it was more of a tap)

If it were to happen again, which would be higly unlikely if you proceed with the above, only then would I send the mail and cc HR on it ;)

I'm a manager and deal with a lot of office type conflict and the key is:

1) to try and sort it out as informally as possible
    2) not let it fester (i.e. deal with the issues instead of being angry about it)
    3) only go the formal route (i.e. HR) if you don't get co-operation/agreement

I'm a manager also and the above is the best advice on the thread OP. Fundamentally it depends whether you are an ambulance chaser or not and what exactly you hope taking this further will achieve.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

I don't want to take this further than my boss if I can help it. However I do want to communicate how humiliating I found the incident. When I didn't understand what he said, he could have reworded his explanation or just asked me to move aside so he could show me, instead he chose to reprimand me as if I were a bold child. And even if I were the most stupid employee on the planet (which I'm not), I have a right to better treatment.
    Part of my issue is that I'm a woman working in a male dominated environment and there is a definite undercurrent of sexism. I don't believe that he would have ever acted with one of the guys on the team (even the ones he's friendly with). I don't want to turn this into a gender issue but I do want him to know that reprimanding me in front of a group of men (who, by their comments about women, clearly don't think that women are on the same level as them) is damaging to me and my position in workplace.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Miss Fluff wrote: »
    I'm a manager also and the above is the best advice on the thread OP. Fundamentally it depends whether you are an ambulance chaser or not and what exactly you hope taking this further will achieve.

"Ambulance chaser"? That's hardly a fair comparison. Were I in the OP's position, I would at the very least be putting my concerns in writing to the supervisor in question. It's not about taking it further, it's about formally registering that this behaviour is not acceptable. It doesn't have to go any further than the letter/email, but someone responsible for managing a team has to understand that interpersonal relationships are a delicate thing and understanding when a transgression has been made, and making necessary changes to avoid a repetition of it, is a part of that.

Accusing someone of being an ambulance chaser for not putting up with something that could turn out to be the first of several instances of workplace bullying is hardly good advice, particularly given how hard it can be to deal with workplace bullying in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Part of my issue is that I'm a woman working in a male dominated environment and there is a definite undercurrent of sexism. I don't believe that he would have ever acted with one of the guys on the team (even the ones he's friendly with). I don't want to turn this into a gender issue but I do want him to know that reprimanding me in front of a group of men (who, by their comments about women, clearly don't think that women are on the same level as them) is damaging to me and my position in workplace.

Men and women are not the same! The men would probably of slapped his hand back and it would of been a funny situation, i think your been over sensitive, its not like he slapped your bottom, then i'd say you have a genuine issue! if you really want to, tell him to his face that you dont want a repeat performance(end of) he already apologised so should not need to over and over.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Marksie

cowzerp wrote: »
    Men and women are not the same! The men would probably of slapped his hand back and it would of been a funny situation, i think your been over sensitive, its not like he slapped your bottom, then i'd say you have a genuine issue! if you really want to, tell him to his face that you dont want a repeat performance(end of) he already apologised so should not need to over and over.

THis is regardless of gender. Like Miss Fluff i am a manager and the importance of personal/professional boundaries is important.

In slapping the wrist, the manager overstepped the mark, but THEY did realise it and made an apology.

So OP there is no need to make an official complaint. If you want to take it further, then the best way is to explain how you feel without making therats "if it happens again...etc."
    I am pretty sure from what you have said that your manager realises this that it was innappropriate.

Cowzerp: if someone came to me with the excuse you have given here, it would not be a defense. Because you see it as overreaction, they might not and may feel that physical contact contravenes their right to dignity at work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭milkerman

I definitely would not go the formal written complaint route or even the 'chat' with your manager.
    Try this. Next time your boss has to show you something just say ' I hope you wont hit me if I dont understand' and leave it at that. He will probably be quite red-faced particularly if there are other people around.
    The PC thing has gotten out of hand. The best manager I ever had used to threaten to kill me at least once a week and would call me allsorts if I was being thick. He was also very protective of his staff and our wellbeing was always an issue for him. A complex character, but a good person nonetheless and a great guy to work for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭mountain

maybe you should learn how to do your job properly...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Marksie

mountain wrote: »
    maybe you should learn how to do your job properly...

And maybe you should read the charter on off topic unhelpful posting.
    Continued posting in such a fashion will result in a ban

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Drift

I'd be inclined to think along the same lines as DetectivFoxtrot. The fact that he appeared to be shocked by his own behaviour and that he apologised immediately would make me think that maybe he momentarily forgot where he was and beahved as he would in a similar situation elsewhere. For example maybe he teaches his wife how to do computer stuff at home in a situation where a tap on the back of the hand may be seen as a playful and possibly even flirty action. Then he's there showing you something and his mind is on a few things at once so he does what he might do at home with his wife/gf/children without thinking.

In a weird way it may indicate that he's quite comfortable in your presence similar to Minesajackdaniels ridiculously uncomfortable yet highly amusing "arblearblearblearble" situation.

I think what you should do is approach him when he's alone pretty soon (today or monday) and just explain that you feel very uncomfortable about what happened earlier. From what you've described of his immediate remorse when he did it I've a feeling he will be falling over himself to apologise.

Advertisement