Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to install a new Hard drive in your Xbox

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

After 4 hours of trying i've finally lost it.... I can't for the life of me get this to work. I have XBMC installed already, tried the guide on the first page... I get to the xbox logo and eventualy it comes up with an error message and the number 13...

Tried the ISO image on page 3 and I get the same.... I've done everything as described in the thread.

Any ideas??

• Moderators Posts: 12,370 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

From what ive read, try updating your dash on the xbox, with the original HDD, play a new xbox game eg. Halo, or connect to xbox live. Either way your dash will be updated. To check if its update, go to Settings > System Info, and the D: (dash) should be displayed there.
    It should update the dash. Then try this guide again.

Thats my thinking about it.

I'll give it a bash... tried that chimp thing too last night but can't seem to be able to Telnet into the xbox. I can ping the xbox no probs but once chimp is started it seems to dissapear off the network..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

needs a crossover cable. Wrecked my head too. HDM FTW

I tried the crossover cable too and that didn't work either....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,029 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I dont think an updated dash is your problem, you would have ran into problems using ndure the first time round if it wasnt the latest.

error 13 means it cant find the dash (as far as i can remember)

Try my cd again: Do this using the new Hard drive.

1. Download this ISO ( i think you have it already though)

2. Burn it to a cd. (no need to do anything with it)

3. Boot it up the same way as the cd from supercells guide.(cd drive in the secondry IDE slot , with all other hard drives plugged out).

3.5 Just plug in the hard drive and skip to step 5 if you havent locked the new hard drive with its eeprom, just plug in the hard drive

4. Turn on your xbox, when it gets to the green X screen Unplug the hard drive.

5. Plug it in to your pc when you have the xbox hd tools screen on your pc and chose option 1

6. Then type "xboxhd"

7. then select option 1

8. Then just keep typing "yes" at every option after that.

After a few mins it will say its done, then you should have your xbox working as standard again, IMPORTANT!!! remember to plug the hard drive back into the xbox before powering the xbox down.

If you havent locked the hard drive with the eeprom yet do it now (its explained in the first post)

If that worked just do the hot swap method to modify it like you originally had to do.

Let us know how you get on?

After a few mins it will say its done, then you should have your xbox working as standard again, IMPORTANT!!! remember to plug the hard drive back into the xbox before powering the xbox down.

Now I didn't do that bit last night....

I'll try it again tonight... Have a crystal xbox that I need to mod from scratch so I wanna use this one to test everything on and make sure I can do it... Will be giving this one to the folks. Crystal is for me, then I've a mate that wants his done and I'll prob pick up another one for the bedroom....

I'll post back tonight if with the outcome...

Right, I've lost it!!

I've tried everything as above n still nothing....

I think my HD might not be locked tho...

When I try to lock it it says this....

Security supported Yes
    enabled Yes
    Locked No
    Frozen No
    Count Expired No

Does that mean its not locking???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

Whats your HD name and serial no? This is perplexing i know. The xbox is a computer and as such its set to give you as much jip as it can. I found out that the hard way too.

I think mine said something similar although it does seem like its not locking.

Its a Seagate Barracuda model no is ST380021a SN: 3HV2TARD

Its lockable according to this

• Advertisement

Anyone any ideas???
    unklerosco wrote: »
    Right, I've lost it!!

I've tried everything as above n still nothing....

I think my HD might not be locked tho...

When I try to lock it it says this....

Security supported Yes
    enabled Yes
    Locked No
    Frozen No
    Count Expired No

Does that mean its not locking???

I had a problem with an old hard drive not locking, it gave the same details as you mention, but also gave an error, cant remember the error though. Its was a free hard drive I got so I just used another one.

Thats really no use to ya though.

At Fupping Last!!!!!

Got it working, the HD I was using can't be locked or just refuse to work for me...

Found a 120gb HD in work, worked first time... Cheers for all the help lads. Only prob is I left my external drive that has all my stuff on it in work.. DOH!!

All I need now is to get my hands on a 500gb HD....

Congrats. Remember, with hard drives bigger then 250Gb, you will need to reformat the F drive with 32K clusters.
    Im a bit grey on the subject but from what ive heard, Xboxpartitioner is what to use for formating to 32K clusters.

A bit of googling and your on your way.

Got 10mb line and unlimited download cap in the house so I can feel my 250Gb HDD filling up quite quickly. Time to whip out the crystal xbox myself, and a nice 500 or more hard drive.

Looking at a 500gb IDE on komplett... Its either that or a sata, Can get a 750mb sata for €10 more...

Both drives are stated as lockable acording to the compatibility chart...

It seems those settings you listed unkle is of a hard drive that worked.

"Security" is the key line, i presume "locked" referes to its current state

Just to let everyone know:

These sata to IDE converters work with the xbox, I just tested it today. at that price you cant go too far wrong! 750gb hard drive for me soon!

Cheers Witness, 750Gb might grace my path also. You didnt get any spare converters did ya? Ordering DXT stuff tomorrow i think

just ordered a few convertors... Will hit the companies komplett account tomorrow n order me some rather large hd's... Now what can I pass the order off as?

just ordered a few convertors... Will hit the companies komplett account tomorrow n order me some rather large hd's... Now what can I pass the order off as?
    Nice!

Can we assume that if I buy a 750Gb Sata HDD and use a converter for the IDE connection, that it will be lockable, and will work?
    Im looking at this one.

I dont think theres going to be much research done on what Sata hard drives work or not..

What spec HDD did you use witnessmenow?
    Brand
    Storage
    Buffer
    RPM (doubt that matters)

• Advertisement

Oh thats much better! I was just going with WD because there usually Ok.

Its €10 cheaper on Dabs.ie (their the same manufacturer number) but if your company is buying.... carry on.

Edit: Due soon...

It was this hard drive here

Defnitly going to try a 750gb samsung spin point when i'm buying the rest of my computer.

Just a note, hot swapping is going to be very difficult with that convertor, as the IDE connection are loose pins so to speak. I havent put XBMC on mine yet, i just got it working as a standard xbox. Hopefully i'll be able to unlock the drive , put ndure on and then lock it up. Anyone do this before?

If anyones looking for a SATA to IDE convertor drop me a pm... I forgot I ordered them and don't need them now..

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭ninjasurfer1

Step 1:
    On your xbox's evox dashboard go to system utils and select backup.
    While this is working away, extract the xboxhdm_v1.9.zip you already have from Longfields guide.
    Now, run your prefered FTP program and connect to your Xbox. Go to your E:\apps\evox\backup and download a file called eeprom.bin to the xboxhdm\linux\eeprom folder on your PCs hard drive. This is where my eeprom.bin file was located. Dig about if yours isnt there.
    Then go to the root of your xbox and download the full contents of the C:\ and E:\ to the xboxhdm\linux folder and overwrite the ones already there.

Step 2:
    Now in the root of the xboxhdm is a file named 'make-iso-win'. You must run make-iso-win and wait for it to finish. Now burn the .iso which was created to a blank CD using whichever burning software you prefer. When it finishes, turn off the PC.

Step 3:
    Disconnect all hard drives from your PC and connect the hard drive which you wish to become your new hard drive to the primary master. Boot up the PC with boot from CD enabled and boot to the CD. You will be given a list of options.

Step 4:
    Choose option 1 and press enter to boot VGA console with xbox-drive utilities. Type 'xboxhd' when asked for a login. Again, choose option1 - Build a new Xbox HD from scratch. It will now begin to format and write the partition table etc. When asked about C:\ E:\ and F:\ type yes, its pretty self explanatory.

At this moment in time you only have an xbox with a different hard drive. It is not softmodded yet.

Step 5:
    Type 'reboot' to reboot the PC. At the moment your hard drive is unlocked so the playing and pausing music technique is unnecessary.
    (im not too sure whether the second CD will suffice here but if it doesnt use the first CD burned at the beginning of Longfields guide)
    When rebooted, choose option 1, and type xbrowser and choose ndure and ndure.txt. Choose option 1 to install ndure. As before this will take about 10-15 mins.

Step 6:
    Now to lock the Hard drive. Reboot the PC and select option 3 to boot linux with locking/unlocking utilities. Type 'lockhd -a'. Type yes to lock it.

You can now continue on to step 11 in Longfields guide and install XBMC on your xxxGb xbox.

Hi,

I've managed to get xbmc up and running on the original xbox hard drive, but when i go to follow step 1 and copy the contents of the C and E drives onto the xboxhdm\linux folder and generate an ISO, the resulting image in 722mb in size - too big to fit on a cd??
    My (fully) backed up C drive (after xbmc was installed) is 492mb, and my E drive is 199 mbs.
    Am I missing something here or should my backed up drives be a lot smaller?
    (I took a backup before XBMC went on and the C drive is 171 mb, and the E drive is 199mb. Should these be the ones i should use?

Also, when you mention extracting and using the xboxhdm_v1.9.zip, can you clarify whether we need to run ndure before we replace the C and E drives and run the iso maker?

Thanks for any help you can give.

dont worry about backing up your xboxs hard drive unless there is something in particular you need (like save files or whatever). But even then you can just FTP any of the files you want back over when your finished.

you can download this and use it to make the new hard drive

The only thing is there is no eeprom on that cd and if there is its not for your xbox. SO you need to either:

A) Extract the .iso i linked to using winrar or similar and drag the contents of the C and E drive into the same spot on in the xboxHDm\linux folder. Put your eeprom in the right spot and click make iso bat.

B)Just burn the iso i gave you straight to a cd using an iso burning program (like imgburn or the one supercell links to). Then get your eeprom and put it in a the right spot in the xboxhdm\linux folder. and make iso bat. This will leave you with two cds, one to build the xbox drive up then one to lock it.

Personally i prefer B as its just handier and only takes a few seconds to burn the eeprom cd

You shouldnt need yo run the ndure cd building software at all now, the cd to prepare your new hard drive should have nothing to do with ndure. When you get your new hard drive working as a stock one you modify it the exact same way you did before. You should even be able to use the same cd as your kernel version will not have changed.

Hi witnessmenow,

Thanks for the info regarding the iso images.

I've followed step b in your mail above (creating a default xbox creation iso and a 2nd iso cd with the eeprom).

I managed to create the xbox harddrive, but i'm unsure as to how to lock it.

I rebooted the pc following the xbox hard drive creation, inserted the 2nd drive(with the eeprom) and booted up to option 3 (unlocking tools) and tried lockhd -a but it says "Command not found".

I also tried lockhd and hoped it would ask me to enter the hdd lock password (Which I had generated via the "generate xbox hd key for locking" option
    but it also said "command not found".

I tried the hard drive in the xbox but it generated error 5 (kernel : HDD not locked).

Do you have any ideas on what the problem could be? How can i lock the drive to allow me to put it into the xbox to start the modding process?

Thanks for the advice so far!!

Sorry if this is a bit over kill but its probasbly best to explain from the start.

Ok so you burnt the cd i linked to and built up the new hard drive fine ya?

So then you get a fresh xboxhdm and but your eeprom.bin into your eeprom folder. Make iso.bat and burn it to a cd.

then boot it up ( no need to hotswap as your new drive isnt locked yet) go to option 3 and type "lockhd -a" and it should lock. let me know if you've any problems

Sorry if this is a bit over kill but its probasbly best to explain from the start.

Ok so you burnt the cd i linked to and built up the new hard drive fine ya?

So then you get a fresh xboxhdm and but your eeprom.bin into your eeprom folder. Make iso.bat and burn it to a cd.

then boot it up ( no need to hotswap as your new drive isnt locked yet) go to option 3 and type "lockhd -a" and it should lock. let me know if you've any problems

Hi Witnessmenow,

I managed to create the xbox harddrive, but i'm unsure as to how to lock it.

I rebooted the pc following the xbox hard drive creation, inserted the 2nd drive(with the eeprom) and booted up to option 3 (unlocking tools) and tried lockhd -a but it says "Command not found".

I also tried lockhd and hoped it would ask me to enter the hdd lock password (Which I had generated via the "generate xbox hd key for locking" option
    but it also said "command not found".

I tried the hard drive in the xbox but it generated error 5 (kernel : HDD not locked).

Do you have any ideas on what the problem could be? How can i lock the drive to allow me to put it into the xbox to start the modding process?

Thanks for your patience with me!!

does it say "command not found" or something about not being able to find a eeprom?

are you including the space in lockhd -a ? (you need to, command line linux is very picky like that)

Dont worry about the error code thats what expected when you put an unlocked drive in, your old one will still work fine

• Advertisement

does it say "command not found" or something about not being able to find a eeprom?

are you including the space in lockhd -a ? (you need to, command line linux is very picky like that)

Dont worry about the error code thats what expected when you put an unlocked drive in, your old one will still work fine

Hi Witnessmenow,

I've attached a screenshot of the error i'm getting.
    I've put in the command lockhd -a but to no avail.

One thing: when I boot off the cd and put in option 3, it doesn't display the 3 and it seems to take a while to go into the screen. Could it be that it is defaulting to option 1 instead?

Cheers,

Advertisement