Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to install a new Hard drive in your Xbox

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭jazzyk

Hi Black Knight
    I get the blank screen after installing ndure and locking hard drive and installing into xbox -- > switch xbox on and blank screen?
    I tried installing the hd before ndure and i keep getting error 21.
    The hdd is 120GB
    I originally tried jonbtrini's guide on afterdawn forum. error 21??

I copied the contents of my softmod C and E drives over to my Pc. Does this contain all the files for softmod or is the bios in the xbox modified during lonfields tut?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,045 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Do you get the green x screen and then its blank?

I'd say you made your boot cd wrong

Did you get your eeprom and lock the second drive?

If you did already lock it use this iso

Burn it to a cd.

Boot it up the same way as the cd from longfields guide.(cd drive in the secondry IDE slot , with all other hard drives plugged out)

Turn on your xbox, when it gets to the green X screen Unplug the hard drive.

Plug it in to your pc when you have the xbox hd tools screen on your pc and chose option 1

Then type "xboxhd"

then select option 1

Then just keep typing "yes" at every option after that.

After a few mins it will say its done, then you should have your xbox working as standard again, remeber to plug the hard drive back into the xbox before powering the xbox down.

See how you get on

• Moderators Posts: 12,371 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

jazzyk wrote: »
    Does this contain all the files for softmod or is the bios in the xbox modified during lonfields tut?
    The copied C and E drives are the required C and E drives for your kernal xbox. Copying them over just gives you a 2nd xbox HDD for your xbox. It will contain Unleash etc because these were installed in Longfields guide and were copied over when you copied the C and E drives.

Id try burning your 2nd CD again. Put the original xbox HDD into the xbox and FTP the C and E drives to the linux folder again then burn your 2nd CD again. Could of been some files lost during the FTPing.
    Unfortunatly, this is basically starting again.

Does it load anything at all?
    Or is it: press power button, screen stays blank. Dare I ask, is the video cable plugged in? No offence intended.:o

The status light flashes orange and green if the video cable isnt plugged in so it probably aint that or he would have said.

One of my xboxes doing similar for a while, would load the green blob and then the green x and then just have a blank screen. It was due to the files on the hard drive being wrong. That iso i uploaded should sort it out if he has the hard drive locked with the right eeprom.

He'll have to go through longfields guide to softmod it though

The status light flashes orange and green if the video cable isnt plugged in so it probably aint that or he would have said.
    Should I go a step lower? Make sure the monitor is turned on. I feel like a tech support guy talking to an American.
    It was due to the files on the hard drive being wrong. That iso i uploaded should sort it out if he has the hard drive locked with the right eeprom.
    Thats my thinking too. Bad files *wags finger!*

• Advertisement

Yo
    I am in work at the moment, so cant really do much but will try later tonight?
    Everything is connected ok and switched on:rolleyes:, it all works fine with the original xbox HD in it.
    I will try again from scratch this evening and see how I get on??
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭tetsujin1979

Yo
    I am in work at the moment, so cant really do much but will try later tonight?
    Everything is connected ok and switched on:rolleyes:, it all works fine with the original xbox in it.
    I will try again from scratch this evening and see how I get on??
    Thanks

Did you run the lockhd -a command? I missed that at the very end, and had to go back and run it on the hard drive. Everything worked fine after that

Yeah locked HD ok. I'm just gonna start from scratch now:
    Copy C and E and eeprom.bin from softmod harddrive to xboxhdm folder and make iso.

When I try to ftp all of the C drive from my xbox to my pc 169 files form xodash will not transfer, Are they necessary??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

Im not seeing filenames the folders just end on \xodash\media\xbx.
    What are the filenames? I believe this is the xbox online/live dashboard.

• Advertisement

what error are you getting when its failing?

Just try the cd i upped, it has all the files you need! Use it on the new hard drive after its been locked and it should do the trick

what error are you getting when its failing?

Just try the cd i upped, it has all the files you need! Use it on the new hard drive after its been locked and it should do the trick

Would that CD not only adhear to you Xboxes kernal and not the OPs? Unless the OPs kernal was the same as yours.

Am I right in thinking this, or is my brain not working propperly this early in the morning?

No(i thought it might be myself at first) , after reading a good bit about it the only time cds need to be kernel specific is when putting on ndure and even then the author reckons the generic kernel one works 95% of the time(but its much slower).

All the cd contains is the latest version of the MS dash and an empty E drive

Its worked for me on 2 diffrent boxes with 2 diffrent kernels.

Fair's fair. Good to know.

Hi
    I downloaded witnessmenow link to iso and followed the guide again,
    (As i was having trouble copying xbox live dash from xbox to pc.)
    Extract contents to xboxhdm folder and make iso? yeah?
    Burn to CD.
    Option 1- build xbox from scratch -- completed ok
    Boot with Ndure CD
    type xbrowser -- all contents seem to be there on right side of mc
    install ndure
    all complete no errors :)

lockhd -a -- completed ok
    installed new hdd into xbox

Same thing Blank screen
    Green Xbox splash screen appears hdd starts to spin then blank screen(hdd is confirmed to ok)
    Cant FTP
    Constant green light

(Would take pictures but dont have usb cable for camera here)

I think step 5 is the problem??
    Softmodding the new HD
    What are the two cds when i followed the original guide i only had on cd??
    Any help would be great:confused:
    Thanks
    p.s. I tried the chimp method but just realized I don't have an original xbox controller

That iso is ready to go. just burn it and should just work.

Stick it into the pc and perform the hotswap using the hard drive you just locked. type xboxhd and build the hard drive from scratch.

Is it now working as an original xbox?

If it is follow longfields guide to mod it. The reason there is two cds is because one is rebuilding your hard drive and the other is modifying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭mgsrocks

Hi
    I downloaded witnessmenow link to iso and followed the guide again,
    (As i was having trouble copying xbox live dash from xbox to pc.)
    Extract contents to xboxhdm folder and make iso? yeah?
    Burn to CD.
    Option 1- build xbox from scratch -- completed ok
    Boot with Ndure CD
    type xbrowser -- all contents seem to be there on right side of mc
    install ndure
    all complete no errors :)

lockhd -a -- completed ok
    installed new hdd into xbox

Same thing Blank screen
    Green Xbox splash screen appears hdd starts to spin then blank screen(hdd is confirmed to ok)
    Cant FTP
    Constant green light

(Would take pictures but dont have usb cable for camera here)

I think step 5 is the problem??
    Softmodding the new HD
    What are the two cds when i followed the original guide i only had on cd??
    Any help would be great:confused:
    Thanks
    p.s. I tried the chimp method but just realized I don't have an original xbox controller

You dont need to have the original controller to use chimps, you can control it from your computer by telnet, so you'll need a crossover cable. I could never get telnet to work but hopefull someone here can help.

I'm sorry if i missed something, but i didn't realize to hot swap drives, what stage should you hot swap? Maybe thats were i'm going wrong?
    Should the hdd be locked when building hd from scratch, if so why unlock it?
    I was building with hdd unlocked?
    After step 4 of black knights tut I should be able to put hdd into xbox and have original xbox?? before i was getting error 21.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭ongarite

Did you follow the other guide here to softmod your XBOX?
    Do you have your eeprom.bin?
    You need the eeprom when building a new HDD as this file has a locking code for each individual XBOX.
    If your didn't lock the HDD with the eeprom.bin, it will not work when you plug it in

Hi
    Sorry was just re-reading the guide and soft modding on this forum and see where i'm going wrong (i think).
    I have the eeprom, got it from unleashX - backup eeprom option,then ftp'd to pc.
    I can lock and unlock hd no problem but i was not hot swapping drives?
    Will try again tomorrow night 'tis getting late now :eek::eek::eek:

• Advertisement

Sorry I'm after confusing ya here!!
    Should the hdd be locked when building hd from scratch

It doesn't matter, just build the hard drive from scratch. At some stage before you put your new hard drive into the xbox it needs to be locked with the correct eeprom, It doesnt matter if thats before or after you re-build the hard drive.

If you've already locked it with the eeprom before you build the hard drive then you'll need to hot swap it to be able to access it.

Did you get your eeprom off your old hard drive and put it in the eeprom folder of the cd you originally made for this guide? My cd doesnt contain an eeprom(there specific to individual xboxs) so trying to lock it with my cd in wont work.

Error 21s can be(and have been by me:pac:) fixed with my cd

Hi Guys
    Finally got the 120GB hard drive working
    The ISO that witnessmenow uploaded worked like a treat
    I just re-softmodded the new HD and now I have the ultimate media center for 20 euro - excellent!!
    Thanks to witnessmenow, Black Knight and Longfield

Thanks guys :):):)

Glad that worked out for ya! Enjoy the xbox

Found a handy tip if ever your Xbox wont load past the purple XBMC logo and thus you cant FTP it.
    While loading up XBMC, hold the 2 analog sticks clicked down. This will cause a screen to pop up asking you if you want to reset your settings to the system defaults.

For me, its a handier solution then opening up the xbox and connecting back up to the PC IDE cable and entering xbrowser to delete cache files or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭catching_streams

Has anyone here successfully managed to telnet into the xbox? I have chimps loaded and at the menu screen and I cannot access the xbox. Pinging the xbox while chimps is running fails.

Bloody chimps needs a crossover cable to use telnet. I really hope i didnt fry me new disk because i forgot to slave it and i tried twice before reading up on the problem with telnet.

Question: if i were to install with HDM and delay the locking procedure, would i be able to reboot into windows and copy over all my files(avi's) and reboot and lock?

not really nick,

The drive will be formated in FatX format, something windows wont reconize by defualt. You could use windows fatx file explores (like exlporer 360 i think its called) but in my experience they are awful!!

FTP is actually the best way of doing it, unless you can copy files from a dvd accross (which im sure you can) maybe that might be easier.

I was thinking about the filesystem in work today. Thought it was FAT16, tahnkfully you reminded me that it was X. Saves a lot of "why wont the drive display on my pc" hassle...

****e. Max 10megs. Thinking of filling a 500gig.

Hmmm thanks witness.

No problem, glad to help!

I'd love a 500gb hard drive in mine... someday, someday!

• Advertisement

Not even mine, mines <250G. Its for the girlfriend. Everything went alright after. Thank fook.

Advertisement