Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neutering pupply dilema

Options
  • 31-03-2008 3:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭

I got a puppy a couple of months ago from an Animal Rescue. A bitch i called Isabelle (after my last girlfriend because both of them are.. well ..)

Anyhow, i really really love this dog, shes both the bain and the love of my life :D Shes great! I got her because i have Manic Depression and hr company is great and always has me smiling :)

Problem is, shes 8 months old and really needs t be neutered, its best for her.. but the problem is im terrified that something will happen to her because i was told there are risks with the anestethic and i also really hate the idea of putting her thru the pain (shes beside me now snoring like a beast!)

So im in a bit of a dilema..:(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

There is always a risk (neutering the female is slightly more complicated I believe) but it is not very common at all. Just make sure it is a well established vet, who you know has probably performed the procedure hundreds of times. It will put your mind at ease. I have never heard of any complications and I've had many dogs and cats over the years. Hope it turns out well whatever you decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Like any op there can be complications but these are very rare, i,ve never heard of a dog dying been neutered, if i was you i'd get the job done and get the dog back and continue to enjoy her-:)

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

You really need to get her neutered. Although there are risks, vets go through this procedure many times a day without any issues - it'll prevent her from getting all sorts of health problems down the line, and of course prevent a litter of unwanted pups.

She'll recover quicker than you expect, just a day or two before she's back on her feet! What area are you in? I'm sure someone can recommend a reliable vets .....

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

It really is the best choice. If you're concerned about the op why don't you contact the rescue you got her from and ask which vet they recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

Taken from http://www.endellveterinarygroup.co.uk

The spaying of bitches is recommended for the following reasons:
    1. Unwanted pups are prevented – this removes the problems associated with finding homes or
    increasing the stray population.
    2. No false pregnancy – false pregnancy is very common in bitches, and can occur after each season.
    It may result in distress to the bitch and anguish to the owner. A bitch undergoing a false pregnancy
    may produce milk, lose her appetite and become quite aggressive.
    3. Pyometra and other womb and ovarian diseases are avoided – unspayed bitches can develop
    pyometra (a pus filled womb) late in life which then requires life–saving surgery. Spaying a healthy
    bitch does not involve the risks of spaying an older bitch with complications from the pyometra.
    4. Reduced risk of mammary tumours – the relative risk of mammary tumours increases progressively
    with each season. The earlier the bitch is spayed, the lower the risk.
    5. No oestrus – oestrus (season or “heat”) occurs about every six months in entire bitches. During this
    time bitches have to be kept away from other dogs and walked under close supervision.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

The vet should also give you painkillers I presume so she probably won't be in pain. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 M0use

My pup was neutered at seven months. She didn't even bat an eyelid at the whole procedure, although I have to say that my vets are fantastic. They at the end of a phone 24/7 and no question is too small for them to answer.

P.s. If you got her from a rescue, then you are obliged to neuter her - it will be in the adoption contract you signed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

snyper wrote: »
    I got a puppy a couple of months ago from an Animal Rescue. A bitch i called Isabelle (after my last girlfriend because both of them are.. well ..)

Anyhow, i really really love this dog, shes both the bain and the love of my life :D Shes great! I got her because i have Manic Depression and hr company is great and always has me smiling :)

Problem is, shes 8 months old and really needs t be neutered, its best for her.. but the problem is im terrified that something will happen to her because i was told there are risks with the anestethic and i also really hate the idea of putting her thru the pain (shes beside me now snoring like a beast!)

So im in a bit of a dilema..:(

** Hugs for Snyper ** you're just so sweet! It's much better for her in the long run to get done. Do you have a vet you can trust?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

Where abouts are you, Snyper? Or should we call you Kermit? :D
    There is an excellent vet on the Raheny Road called Pat Keating. He is an excellent vet and my King Charles Spaniel would not be here without him. He knows her inside out. She is almost 14 (an amazing age for a Charlie so I'm told!) and its all thanks to him. He also neuters and spays strays for dogs aid in his own time which I think is very good of him and I know a lot of vets who wouldn't dream of doing such work on their own time.
    Your dog sounds very lucky with an owner like you!!:)

http://rahenyvet.com/index.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Im in the midlands athlone to be exact. I got her from animal rescue in Limerick and donated €150...

I'll travel to bleeding france if i need to once im sure the vet is good at it. I just dont want some butcher putting his hands on her.. i wouldnt take it well if anything happened to her, and im told that murder carries a 12 year sentence. :D

So if anyone knows a good vet, im willing to travel.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭~Thalia~

Im in the midlands athlone to be exact. I got her from animal rescue in Limerick and donated €150...

I'll travel to bleeding france if i need to once im sure the vet is good at it. I just dont want some butcher putting his hands on her.. i wouldnt take it well if anything happened to her, and im told that murder carries a 12 year sentence. :D

I know EXACTLY how you feel snyper, I was the very same when considering getting my bitch spayed. I was in floods dropping her off to the vets that morning but honestly don't worry, it was and is totally fine and she will be grand! It's much better for them all round healthwise and even though she may be a bit groggy for a few hours she will be back to herself in no time, it's AMAZING how quickly they recover esp when they are so young.

DELIGHTED by the way that she is such a good friend to you, I fostered a bit with Limerick animal welfare, what was her name? I might have met her :D My own dog is a LAW doggie too!

Best of luck and honestly don't worry about a thing, ask the vets every question you want to know about the procedure because sometimes if you have more info it makes it easier to understand and not to worry so much.

Let us know how it goes and if you can post a pic of your little one! :)

And just saw the vet question there, maybe a bit far but Hugh O'Callaghan in Cresent vets in Limerick, couldn't reccomend him highly enough :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Anesthetic wise with dogs aside from neutering they usually have to go under anesthetic at some other time in their lives ..things happen get things stuck in paws or need dental work etc. Its a routine op of course with any op there is a risk same as with humans but with dogs the risk is very very small and a good vet will give the dog a total health check before hand.

I have had an elderly dog spayed, rabbits spayed and guineapigs neutered and also a cockatiel that had to go under anesthetic twice to sort a prolapse and they all came out of it fine. Small animals and birds are more at risk than cats or dogs.

Unspayed females can develope reproductive cancers that would mean when shes older she has a good chance of having a bigger more serious op than a spay.

I know its hard but just follow the vets advice, get a mild pain killing tablet for her once the vets pain killer wears off for the next day I find more sensative 'drama queen' type dogs need a little bit of pain relief once the initial one wears off. My little dog was like that.

Most dogs are up and about by the time you bring them home, just keep her nice n warm n cosy and dont feed her till the next day just a little water to drink.

She'll be fine, if shes dropped in in the morning she could possible be ready to go home by lunchtime so you wont have to pace the floor too long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Ruby Soho

You're so much better off having this done when she's young and healthy, she'll be bouncing at the front door for a walk after two days!! It really doesn't seem to phase them at all. If you did leave it, and she developed, say, Pyometra, she would need an emergency, life-saving ovariohysterectomy, under emergency conditions, believe me, it would be FAR more dangerous. Having it done as an elective procedure makes the job so much simpler, both for her and the surgeon. If you want extra peace of mind, ask the clinic to do a general blood profile before the anaesthetic is administered, it will help to identify and systemic problems (liver / kidney function) etc, as adequate function is essential to metabolise / excrete most modern anaesthetic agents from the system, ensuring a much safer recovery. I assume she's already had a health check by a vet?? Unless the vet has identified any heart problems etc... the risk is so minimal, you'd be mad to let it put you off.
    Best of luck!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 coisaille

My doggie had the op last tuesday, have to say I felt AWFUL dropping her off at the vet and worried about her all that day! She was out of sorts for a few days, not her normal self at all but bouncing around like a good thing again now, has forgotten all about it and doesnt even seem to notice the stitches are there...I let her have one heat before she was spayed (she's 11 months now) and having gone through the three weeks of worry and mess, I'm glad it was just a one off- would not like to be going through that twice a year... I think shopping around until you get a vet you're happy with is a good plan, its a procedure they're all well used to doing but I think some have a bit more 'finesse' than others!

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭carwash_2006

Doing the op before the first heat actually reduces the risks of the operation as there is less blood supply to that area then. Apart from reducing the risks of accidents happening. Also it brings the risks of mammary tumors later in life to a tiny level if you have it done before they have their first season.

Hey guys thanks t all of you for your time to post your advice to me. Im feeling better about it now :)
    And just saw the vet question there, maybe a bit far but Hugh O'Callaghan in Cresent vets in Limerick, couldn't reccomend him highly enough
    My sister lives in Croom, and im starting a job out of Listowel in a fw weeks so i'l be down there every week, so i'll go to that guy.

How expensive is it?

About 200 euro upwards.

About 200 euro upwards.

Could i do it with google and a knife?

It is expensive but worth every penny. Imagine if she got out and mated? You would be stuck with five or six puppies and you sound a bit like me and I'd say you'd never get rid of them(as I would not be able to) and end up with a mini army of dogs. How much do you think they would cost to feed?

• Advertisement

You would be stuck with five or six puppies and you sound a bit like me and I'd say you'd never get rid of them?

I got a friend that works in the local cambodian Resturant.

Problem solved :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

There are ads in the buses: if you're on the dole you can get your dog or cat neutered for a special cheap rate.

What a sweetie that owner is, to worry about the risk of the anaesthetic.

I've had a bunch of dogs and cats neutered and there's never been a problem.

But what a sweetie :)

luckat wrote: »
    There are ads in the buses: if you're on the dole you can get your dog or cat neutered for a special cheap rate.

What a sweetie that owner is, to worry about the risk of the anaesthetic.

I've had a bunch of dogs and cats neutered and there's never been a problem.

But what a sweetie :)

My masculinity is taking a battering :D

You love it, Snyper! Don't pretend that ya don't!!

Hey guys thanks t all of you for your time to post your advice to me. Im feeling better about it now :)

My sister lives in Croom, and im starting a job out of Listowel in a fw weeks so i'l be down there every week, so i'll go to that guy.

How expensive is it?

If you are on any type of benefit like student/lone parent or you know anyone who is you can have her done for €14. I got my little one done while the dogs trust were sponsoring free neutering/spaying so she got done for nothing in the dooradoyle surgery where Hugh O'Callaghan is.

Any more questions about him just shout!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Ruby Soho

What breed / size is your dog?? 200 quid sounds very steep for neutering to me, at my local clinic, that would be the price of spaying a dog thats about 70kg! Most places charge between 110 - 160 depending on the size of the dog. The bigger the dog, the more drugs need to be used, hence the price difference! If it were 200 quid to spay a tiny dog, people just wouldn't do it as its prohibitively expensive. Look into the Dogs Trust scheme if you are on any sort of social allowance etc, although its gone up to 20 euro now as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 sheoighie

I got my dog neutered recently shes was about 6 months old cocker spaniel and because I am a student I was able to get dogs trust so it cost €40 to get it done. Operation is so routine there is no problems, my dog sophie was sore for about 2 days and then was running around as usual. They give you antibiotics for the dog to take for and painkillers too. Its best to keep buster collar on them so they don't take out stitiches. Stitches are taken out free then after 10 days. As for md join the club!!

Ive booked her in to be done by the vet that does all the work for Limerick animal welfare. Im bringing her there because Ms Hayward, the woman where i got her from said hes great.

Monday morning it is. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,288 ✭✭✭✭fits

It will be absolutely fine.

best of luck :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 sheoighie

She will be absolutely fine, remember she will be sore so plenty of TLC will be needed. my Sophie has been in flying form since so try not to worry easier said than done eh!!!!:):)

Advertisement