Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To get Full HD or not! Hmm

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

That's the same quality as 720p.

In this country its not !

Where this idea comes from is America , where HD CRT televisions are commonly available and you watch 1080i as its transmitted , and what you see is an interlaced picture. In which case 720p and 1080i can look similar.

Edit : " look similar " is all they do in the above case , because a 1080 signal has more resolution , being 1920 x 1080 whereas 720p is 1280 x 720 .
    So the 1080 signal always has more detail , if your set can show it.

Over here all you can get is flat screens , and flat screens do not show 1080i as interlaced , they cannot show an interlaced picture , all they can show is progressive.
    What this means is that any 1080i signal is de-interlaced , and shown as 1080p , so with a full HD set and a good de-interlacer you will be looking at a picture that is indistinguishable from 1080p.

Providing your set is big enough , there will be a noticable difference between that and 720p.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

mathias wrote: »
    In this country its not !

Where this idea comes from is America , where HD CRT televisions are commonly available and you watch 1080i as its transmitted , and what you see is an interlaced picture. In which case 720p and 1080i can look similar.

Edit : " look similar " is all they do in the above case , because a 1080 signal has more resolution , being 1920 x 1080 whereas 720p is 1280 x 720 .
    So the 1080 signal always has more detail , if your set can show it.

Over here all you can get is flat screens , and flat screens do not show 1080i as interlaced , they cannot show an interlaced picture , all they can show is progressive.
    What this means is that any 1080i signal is de-interlaced , and shown as 1080p , so with a full HD set and a good de-interlacer you will be looking at a picture that is indistinguishable from 1080p.

Providing your set is big enough , there will be a noticable difference between that and 720p.

So does that mean if you get sky hd ouputting 1080i into a full hd tv, it will look as good as a full hd source??

It depends on the set , but in general , yes !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭Niall1234

mathias wrote: »
    It depends on the set , but in general , yes !

But considering its a interlaced signal, won't the Hertz really only be half of what the Progressive scan hertz would be ?

But considering its a interlaced signal, won't the Hertz really only be half of what the Progressive scan hertz would be ?

No because Interlaced is typically double progressive because of its nature , so when de-interlaced it comes out the same as progressive. ( most 1080i = 60 , most 1080p = 30 )

Some more info here , second link is the most straightfoward explanation ,
    http://www.hometheatermag.com/gearworks/1106gear/

http://blog.hometheatermag.com/geoffreymorrison/0807061080iv1080p/

Now most HD content available over sky , like movies for instance , is originally 1080p@24fps , and interlaced ( converted to 1080i) purely to save on tranmission bandwidth , so if de-interlaced properly , will be indistinguishable from 1080p.

I will point out , that cheaper TV's can have de-interlacers that are not so good , but Im not going into the details of that here , just to say that once the signal is handled properly its indistinguishable from 1080p.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Definately.Most 1080p tvs though are from well-known brands.You do see the odd one from a no-body brand but you ought to get a good brand because whats the point of a 1080p tv if it does'nt have amazing picture quality

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Niall1234 wrote: »
    That used to be an issue with CRT TVs, they need a high refresh rate because after they draw the picture on screen it dissapears until the next refresh so a low rate leads to visible flickering. My old CRT could deinterlace the picture to display a progressive scan image but the flicker was unbearable (deinterlacing a PAL 50hz signal gave a 25hz reresh rate). With flat screens though (afaik) they keep the image onscreen untill the next refresh meaning you won't see any flicker at a low rate. Watching 1080p video a 24fps is super smooth.

With flat screens though (afaik) they keep the image onscreen untill the next refresh meaning you won't see any flicker at a low rate. Watching 1080p video a 24fps is super smooth.

Absolutely correct , which is why if you see a flatscreen advertised as " 100hz " flicker free , you know its BS , because that issue only affects CRT's , it has nothing to do with flatscreens ,

Sony are the biggest offenders at the moment when it comes to that particular con !

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭rogue.goofball

Hi there,
    I've read through this thread and reckon there are a couple of knowledgable people knocking around... so can you advise;
    What is the difference with the following LCD's:

LE37A556
    LE37A557
    LE37A558
    LE37A656
    LE37M86BD
    LE37M87BD

All are 1080p. The M86 and M87 are the same internally. I think these two are the oldest of the bunch, because they are cheaper (€930) and have a lower contrast ratio (8000 vs 15000 for all the rest).
    I believe this is important...is this to do with non-hd signals?

The first 3 are series 5, LE37A656 is series 6, which should mean it is newer - right? It is available for €1125. So is it worth the extra.
    I cant see any proces for the series 5 sets in Ireland, in the UK they range from £899 to £725stg - but oddly the 556 is the dearest and the 558 is the cheapest. Can someone explain, as the technical specifications for all are almost identical.
    Cheers.

Advertisement