Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland vs England

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

The Irish were much better when we were poor.

How can you say that and be working and making a living here? Ireland was a filthy pig ignorant priest infested kip in the past. We are much much better off now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Affable

The grass is always greener. Ireland is ok, don't get me wrong, but it's not too special. From my stays in England, the people and country were lovely. I don't really see why you want to live in Ireland, the only difference I could see was that here there are a lot of people that hate 'The English', idiots. I suppose you'll get that kind of stuff anywhere though.

Glad you enjoyed England. I have experienced anti-English bigotry living in Scotland. Doesn't need to be a problem if you see the good aspects of a place, tbh there are bigots everywhere as you say. I met quite a few Irish living in Edinburgh and some here in England and my impression is very good. I like the idea of living in a smaller, less overcrowded country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭utick

Balmed Out wrote: »
    As a general rule I think the bigger the city the less friendly the people but i think Irelands fairly cool in that if u try its easy to mingle with strangers in pubs etc. I think most people here like and get on well with english people but there are differences. I reckon Irish people are a bit less private and tend to be a little bit more social then most.
    I like living in a place where I can choose from 50 pubs within walking distance of each other, i can go surfing, hillwalking etc within a short drive and where to my mind people are v. friendly. I also love that everyone gets such a happy buzz when the sun comes out, its hilarious.
    Cant stand when a city only has a limited choice of pubs etc within walking distance o eachother and u have to get cabs everywhere. Our cities actually have centres as opposed to soulless suburban mini centres.
    As for the whole debate about where else to live id go for spain. Love the lifestyle but id miss our pub life. I cant stand oz although i didnt go to melbourne or perth both of which are meant to be cool. Always think Melbourne seems the best city in terms of the amount of events especially sports that it hosts. Oz culture pisses me off though, its very macho and a lot of people seem full of **** with serious "issues".

that last sentance you said about oz culture, the exact same thing could be said about the irish culture

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Only for the greater good of mankind would I ever move to another country. That is not likely to happen either.

I don't really see the appeal in moving to another country but I'm not the biggest fan of change. I would much prefer to stay where I have family and friends. It's really not that bad here.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Tuesday_Girl

Holland is a tough place to move to, i've tried and failed. Canada is one of my next options.

What did you find difficult about settling in Holland, which part were you in?

I've lived in 3 European countries and I found Holland the easiest to adapt to, I just landed and settled in without any major problems and have never been homesick while here, something I did experience while in Germany and Spain. I have no plans at the moment to move back to Ireland but I think I will return one day. I miss the people most of all, their friendliness and unique sense of humour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

utick wrote: »
    that last sentance you said about oz culture, the exact same thing could be said about the irish culture

Dont agree at all with that. Ireland or at least the parts ive spent any bit of time in doesnt have much of a macho culture. Showboating and talking yourself up all the time isnt apperciated and goes down badly. Pinching girls asses and giving them a slap as they walk pass is frowned on and most dont do it.

Razzle wrote: »

I've lived in 3 European countries and I found Holland the easiest to adapt to, I just landed and settled in without any major problems and have never been homesick while here

You got by with minimal dutch? How so with work and all?

Razzle wrote: »
    I miss the people most of all, their friendliness and unique sense of humour.

Thats some of what appeals to me about the prospect of living there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

Affable wrote: »
    Do you think Irish people will continue to be drawn to their bigger neighbour?
    Depends on how bad the economy gets over the next five years. They might be more likely to hit mainland Europe these days though.
    Do they always lose the 'cream' of their population?
    What makes you think that the "cream" of Irish population emigrated to the UK? Honest question.

What makes you think that the "cream" of Irish population emigrated to the UK? Honest question.

I don't think or know that, that's why I asked, I was interested in Irish people's views on it. Maybe I phrased it wrongly.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Depending on what trade you are in, better pay and facilities? I would certainly get paid better in some other countries etc.
    Dunno how many trades this applies to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

I don't think or know that, that's why I asked, I was interested in Irish people's views on it. Maybe I phrased it wrongly.
    Well from my memories of the times when there was mass emigration from Ireland, most with the ability to do so went to the US, everyone else went to the UK. Whether or not having enough financial wherewithal to buy a plane ticket makes someone the cream or not is anyones guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

im 22 and have lived in ireland all my life in a dublin suburb.ive been lucky to have travelled a fair bit for my age (ive loads more to do) but from what ive seen, ireland is the place ill choose to stay and rear a family.
    yes other cities/countries have wow factors, like the weather in oz, the buzz of new york, etc etc. but what strikes me about them is that although there a millions of people around you, they can potentially be very lonely cities.
    what i like about ireland is the sense of "community spirit." dont get me wrong, i know its vanishing fast and a lot will say its completely gone but i think there's still is a bit left.it certainly exists more in small towns and villages where life revolves around gaa clubs and pubs.i had friends over for a weekend from glasgow for 2 days and in that space of time they even noticed it.
    i agree though the celtic tiger has really changed irish attitudes. we definately have a high opinion of ourselves these days-some call it pride, id call it partly arrogance.just look at the D4 phenomenon. were losing "the craic" that makes ireland special.a few more years we'll just be same as any other industrialised country in the western world.

(i found it hard to put into words what i mean but hope ya get it!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

I have an Irish friend who has said Ireland is becoming more matierialistic, individualistic, is that what you mean? I reckon that although this may have happened to a degree, there is, judging by Irish people I've come across, still a tangible difference between them and the English. I come from the South-East btw.

My main experience is with London, and I have to say I find Londoners are more friendly than ourselves. Though to be honest the English and ourselves are almost identical in every aspect. As big cities go,London is still way ahead of Dublin when it comes to things like transport, shopping.

Depends on how bad the economy gets over the next five years. They might be more likely to hit mainland Europe these days though.

Have to disagree with you here, majority will still head to the likes of the UK and US.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Tuesday_Girl

You got by with minimal dutch? How so with work and all?

I started to learn Dutch as soon as I got here and was fluent within a year or so, that helped a lot. I was also lucky with work, I came here for a job and so I was in a full-time job immediately and as it's a large multinational there were loads of other in the same boat as me, having just moved to the Dam from Ireland, England, etc. In that sense it was easy to settle in and figure things out plus there was a great social scene with the gang from work.

I hadn't planned to stay this long but it's been 10 years now and I really enjoy life here. Nonetheless there are some aspects of Irish life that I miss a lot and with all my family being still there I'll head back sooner or later. At least that's the plan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

I lived in Canada for a while as a kid, really fond memories of the place, haven't been there on a holiday in a good few years but its a really nice place, love Toronto, i'd love to live there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,810 ✭✭✭Charlie

I'm 21, have a law degree, and I am presently studying for my masters, but still I feel fooked. Dublin, and Ireland, has an impending doom feeling to it (maybe its the west in general) but the economy is on the way down, prices are still sky high, and jobs in my area are at saturation point. To top this all off, Dublin is becoming a really $hitty place to live in (government incompetency, PC bull$hit, yob rule, and gouging prices, seem to be prevailing themes of this fair city).

I have had the pleasure to travel for the last few summers to places such as Vancouver and New York. I would love to work and live in either, but then you have the whole green-card problem.

I have recently visited Newcastle (Toon fan) and was mightily impressed. I have always loved aspects of English culture (the whole anti-brit attitude this country has pisses me off) but on numerous visits to London, Manchester and Liverpool, I couldn't see myself living there, the cities just weren't appealing. However, Newcastle is brilliant. Really beautiful city, great transport, perfect size, you don't feel ripped of at every moment, and the most friendly city folk I have ever met. I would love to live and work there, and am presently looking into it.

I'm 21, have a law degree, and I am presently studying for my masters, but still I feel fooked. Dublin, and Ireland, has an impending doom feeling to it (maybe its the west in general) but the economy is on the way down, prices are still sky high, and jobs in my area are at saturation point. To top this all off, Dublin is becoming a really $hitty place to live in (government incompetency, PC bull$hit, yob rule, and gouging prices, seem to be prevailing themes of this fair city).

When you say 'the west' you mean just western Europe or also America?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,810 ✭✭✭Charlie

When you say 'the west' you mean just western Europe or also America?

I mean the western world, i.e developed economic countries. The credit crisis that is crippling America at the moment seems to be putting the squezze on all the big markets, which in turn is starting to affect graduate recruitment with many of the big legal and financial firms in these countries.

• Advertisement

So any more opinions?

The general verdict seems to be I should stay put.

Where do you live?

Moonbaby wrote: »
    Where do you live?

Cambridge.

Cambridge.

I'd stay put.

Cambridge is supposed to be one of the nicest places in the UK.
    What exactly don't you like about living there? What are looking for in life?

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭ergo

To the OP I don't think you should let this post put you off moving to Ireland. I've lived in Dublin for 10 of the last 11 years, I don't feel a sense of impending doom; I agree the current economic climate is making many people nervous especially with falling property prices etc but I for one love the vibrancy about this place, how it has become very cosmopolitan over the past 10 years, how it's small enough to walk from one side of the city centre to the other, how, if you've been here for a while you'll always end up bumping into random people you know in random places and generally people remain friendly and welcoming etc

I personally would love to live for a while out in the west of Ireland having been in Dublin a good while now and always enjoying the experience on breaks out west ( it feels more Irish, people (naturally enough) more laid back and friendly (it being outside the city etc)

but OP your original question I dunno if i can help you with. England is 10 times more densely populated then Ireland but Cambridge sounds like a nice enough place, My aussie friend who has lived in both England and IRL prefers IRL, her reason : "the people" - she didn't elaborate

I may in the near future be going in the opposite direction - to England, to work for a year - but that would be to Liverpool which is already very Irish. Best of luck whatever you decide!

ergo wrote: »
    To the OP I don't think you should let this post put you off moving to Ireland. I've lived in Dublin for 10 of the last 11 years, I don't feel a sense of impending doom; I agree the current economic climate is making many people nervous especially with falling property prices etc but I for one love the vibrancy about this place, how it has become very cosmopolitan over the past 10 years, how it's small enough to walk from one side of the city centre to the other, how, if you've been here for a while you'll always end up bumping into random people you know in random places and generally people remain friendly and welcoming etc

I personally would love to live for a while out in the west of Ireland having been in Dublin a good while now and always enjoying the experience on breaks out west ( it feels more Irish, people (naturally enough) more laid back and friendly (it being outside the city etc)

but OP your original question I dunno if i can help you with. England is 10 times more densely populated then Ireland but Cambridge sounds like a nice enough place, My aussie friend who has lived in both England and IRL prefers IRL, her reason : "the people" - she didn't elaborate

I may in the near future be going in the opposite direction - to England, to work for a year - but that would be to Liverpool which is already very Irish. Best of luck whatever you decide!

Cheers. Yup, Liverpool and Manchester are Irish influenced cities, may be some of the reason they have a particular style of humour and friendliness, that is quite distinct in England.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

Has anyone lived in both countries and what are their views on Ireland vs England? People wise, attitudes, lifestyle, cities etc. Do you think Irish people will continue to be drawn to their bigger neighbour? Do they always lose the 'cream' of their population? Or are most Irish people you know pretty patriotic and into/committed to their country? I'm curious about stuff like this as I'm interested in Ireland and the prospect of living there.
    I lived in both, and I am tied to here (Ireland). I'd much prefer to live in England, in England there is much more to do. Ireland as a social country is quite **** unless you love your pint.

• Advertisement

I lived in both, and I am tied to here (Ireland). I'd much prefer to live in England, in England there is much more to do. Ireland as a social country is quite **** unless you love your pint.

How so? Presumably you got all the same stuff over there, music venues, theatres, clubs, parks, stadiums etc?

Advertisement