Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland vs England

Options
  • 22-03-2008 12:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭

Has anyone lived in both countries and what are their views on Ireland vs England? People wise, attitudes, lifestyle, cities etc. Do you think Irish people will continue to be drawn to their bigger neighbour? Do they always lose the 'cream' of their population? Or are most Irish people you know pretty patriotic and into/committed to their country? I'm curious about stuff like this as I'm interested in Ireland and the prospect of living there.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭electric69

USA ftw :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Australia is just so much better than either

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭sidneykidney

Holland tbh:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Albian

I'm English but moved to Ireland because I think it's a much nicer place to live.
    4 years on I have no regrets moving over here. I love the Irish people, I love the country and I intend to remain here as long as I am welcome.

Unfortunately Ireland is following England in all the ****ty ways. I've no doubt in 15 to 20 years time I'll be facing all the same **** here that I tried to get away from. Perhaps it's called progress.

If I had to be in anyway critical of the Irish as a people it would be that they do not exploit their potential enough.

I think we need better government here. One with more vision. I think we need much more investment and support for small business. The broadband situation is a tiny example of incompetence that will seriously effect Ireland's future. This beautiful country and it's great people have it in them to be market leaders in so many industries.

Living in the west, it's clear there is a Dublin/west divide. One size doesn't fit all and policy should be designed for Ireland not just Dublin folk.

As for my native England, she's in a sorry state and that is saddening.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Affable

Albian wrote: »
    I'm English but moved to Ireland because I think it's a much nicer place to live.
    4 years on I have no regrets moving over here. I love the Irish people, I love the country and I intend to remain here as long as I am welcome.

Unfortunately Ireland is following England in all the ****ty ways. I've no doubt in 15 to 20 years time I'll be facing all the same **** here that I tried to get away from. Perhaps it's called progress.

If I had to be in anyway critical of the Irish as a people it would be that they do not exploit their potential enough.

I think we need better government here. One with more vision. I think we need much more investment and support for small business. The broadband situation is a tiny example of incompetence that will seriously effect Ireland's future. This beautiful country and it's great people have it in them to be market leaders in so many industries.

Living in the west, it's clear there is a Dublin/west divide. One size doesn't fit all and policy should be designed for Ireland not just Dublin folk.

Interesting, could you elaborate? When you say they don't exploit their potential, you mean it's more laid back there? Also in which ****ty ways(sorry state) is Ireland following England? How does the Dublin/west divide manifest itself?

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

Albian wrote: »

Well said!!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,043 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Holland tbh:D

Anywhere in continental Europe for that matter.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Ive always lived in Ireland. Im in my early 20s and Ive always loved the idea of moving abroad for a few years after college. I find the task of picking a country to be very daunting though. Canada or Holland would be near the top of my list Id say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭ThE_IVIAcIVIAIV

Tusky wrote: »
    Ive always lived in Ireland. Im in my early 20s and Ive always loved the idea of moving abroad for a few years after college. I find the task of picking a country to be very daunting though. Canada or Holland would be near the top of my list Id say.

Holland is a tough place to move to, i've tried and failed. Canada is one of my next options.

• Advertisement

Holland is a tough place to move to, i've tried and failed. Canada is one of my next options.

How come you want to leave Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭IanCurtis

The country you live in is only a small part of being happy. It's your frame of mind, your friends, your lifestyle and everything else that contributes.

A year in Oz is always gonna seem better than a career in rainy old Dublin/London etc, because you're effectively on holidays.

Live each day the best you can and don't concern yourself with what others think and you'll be fine.

Remember: you can run, but you can't hide. You can't run away from who you are

Be happy first, then travel :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

Affable wrote: »
    Agreed to an extent, although moving can broaden the mind I'd say, and provide a welcome change. Oh, regards OZ, I'd never take it over Ireland or the UK. I'm not interested in hot weather, I prefer here culturally.
    How is Ireland culturally superior to Australia?

For the sake of continuity you should left it. I don't really care either way. I have lived both in Dublin, London, Amsterdam, San Francisco and Melbourne. I happen to like certain things about each place. Melbourne is the cultural capital of Australia and there is no shortage or cultural events here thats for sure.

dSTAR wrote: »

Just my view OK. I've got family out in OZ and have visited. Interesting, but wouldn't care to live there.

Affable wrote: »
    Just my view OK. I've got family out in OZ and have visited. Interesting, but wouldn't care to live there.
    Thats cool. I know what you mean about hot weather. We just finished a really hot spell (40 degree days) and the prospect of a rainy old day in Dublin seemed rather enticing. I have contemplated moving back to Dublin but I love Melbourne too much and would really miss the place not to mention the fact that my young kids are here. If I was going to live anywhere in Europe I would probably choose Spain where my parents reside.

Thats cool. I know what you mean about hot weather. We just finished a really hot spell (40 degree days) and the prospect of a rainy old day in Dublin seemed rather enticing. I have contemplated moving back to Dublin but I love Melbourne too much and would really miss the place not to mention the fact that my young kids are here. If I was going to live anywhere in Europe I would probably choose Spain where my parents reside.

Good. :) Wasn't trying to denigrate OZ or anything, sure it's a fine place once you know it. I'm just have a thing for Ireland and England really. How have you hopped continents so much? I always assumed it was pretty hard to do to that degree.

Friends in high places. My father used to work in the Swedish Embassy so was always rubbing shoulders with diplomats and what not. Once you know certain people you can pretty much get access all areas.

Incidentally Australia has its own breed of social problems although not to the degree as what you get in the British Isles. I see Ireland as being a part of the British Isles both geographically and culturally. When you are a true blue Australian its not easy to distinguish between poms and paddies the same way people from the British Isles can't easily distinguish between aussies and kiwis.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭D.L.R.

It depends, are you talking about the 200 year-old white Australian culture, or the near destroyed native culture?

D.L.R. wrote: »
    It depends, are you talking about the 200 year-old white Australian culture, or the near destroyed native culture?
    As far as I am concerned white Australia has a black history. But hasn't race, class, privilege always been used to divide and conquer people? Old wine new bottles really ..

• Advertisement

Friends in high places. My father used to work in the Swedish Embassy so was always rubbing shoulders with diplomats and what not. Once you know certain people you can pretty much get access all areas.

Wow. That does surprise me.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

The grass is always greener. Ireland is ok, don't get me wrong, but it's not too special. From my stays in England, the people and country were lovely. I don't really see why you want to live in Ireland, the only difference I could see was that here there are a lot of people that hate 'The English', idiots. I suppose you'll get that kind of stuff anywhere though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

Incidentally Australia has its own breed of social problems although not to the degree as what you get in the British Isles. I see Ireland as being a part of the British Isles both geographically and culturally. When you are a true blue Australian its not easy to distinguish between poms and paddies the same way people from the British Isles can't easily distinguish between aussies and kiwis.

You say it is not easy to distinguish between Irish and English people but yet use a term that Irish people can find offensive on a board that is made up primarily of Irish people? Ireland is certainly not part of British isles geographically or culturally. It is applied to us by external entities and the Irish government doesn't recognize it. Which is actually quite a surprise since their a bunch of west brit bastards anyways.

I was outside Ireland for 4 years at college and i noticed a huge change here. And not for the good. Irish people today do not possess the charm or patriotism of the 80's. We are basically england these days. The celtic tiger ruined the personalities of people. The Irish were much better when we were poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭brousuka

Having been brought up in London as a kid, and movin back to Ireland as a 10yr old, it was very hard but that was Ireland in the early 70's, political troubles at their highest etc. There was no soccer, tv, general entertainment and I felt like a fish out of water. it's different now and it all depends on what you are looking for out of life. I visit London quite a lot and even though it has it's issues it's still one of the greatest cities in the world and there is always something to do and see. I suppose the one main thing that strikes me is (similar to any big city) that people don't give a sh%t about what you look like or what you think. Ireland is still vey parochial and people will stare at you and be nosey etc! this gets up my nose at times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Denis Irwin

I'm 22 and I have lived in Ireland all my life but If was to up sticks to another country it would have to be Australia. Better weather and fantastic and better looking women. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The Irish were much better when we were poor.

Yeah right tell that to the children of industrial schools and the women dragged through "the laundaries".

Mike.

The celtic tiger ruined the personalities of people. The Irish were much better when we were poor.

I have an Irish friend who has said Ireland is becoming more matierialistic, individualistic, is that what you mean? I reckon that although this may have happened to a degree, there is, judging by Irish people I've come across, still a tangible difference between them and the English. I come from the South-East btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

mike65 wrote: »
    Yeah right tell that to the children of industrial schools and the women dragged through "the laundaries".

Mike.

Add TB and most young people having to leave the country just to make a living,sure they were the good old days.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Ah but you could leave your door on the latch back then.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

As a general rule I think the bigger the city the less friendly the people but i think Irelands fairly cool in that if u try its easy to mingle with strangers in pubs etc. I think most people here like and get on well with english people but there are differences. I reckon Irish people are a bit less private and tend to be a little bit more social then most.
    I like living in a place where I can choose from 50 pubs within walking distance of each other, i can go surfing, hillwalking etc within a short drive and where to my mind people are v. friendly. I also love that everyone gets such a happy buzz when the sun comes out, its hilarious.
    Cant stand when a city only has a limited choice of pubs etc within walking distance o eachother and u have to get cabs everywhere. Our cities actually have centres as opposed to soulless suburban mini centres.
    As for the whole debate about where else to live id go for spain. Love the lifestyle but id miss our pub life. I cant stand oz although i didnt go to melbourne or perth both of which are meant to be cool. Always think Melbourne seems the best city in terms of the amount of events especially sports that it hosts. Oz culture pisses me off though, its very macho and a lot of people seem full of **** with serious "issues".

Advertisement