Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

good friday

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

MOH wrote: »
    They said Sunday's would be ruined if we abolished holy hour, hasn't made that much of a difference that I can see.

What's 'holy hour'?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Why can't it be a Tuesday. I mean, a Friday is taking the piss...

That, and it's a law hanging over from when the country was run by the catholic church, like no gays or divorce and all that jazz...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

What's 'holy hour'?

+1

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

Oh yeah its a disgrace for one day!! Its the law so live with it. Id like to see you trying to survive Ramadan in an islamic country. How long is that? 5 weeks of no clubs or pubs being open!

What's 'holy hour'?

Holy Diver!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭dlane99

What's 'holy hour'?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holy_hour

apparently the pubs used to close for an hour on a sunday, from what ive herd it was less to do with the act of prayer and more to do with the act of geting the auld lads to stop drinking all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

What's 'holy hour'?

Twas sixty minute of compulsory bar closing, 14.30 - 15.30 on Sundays

Abolished in 2000..

Used to play havoc with a match :p

EDIT:

Damnit.. Outspeeded and outlinked. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭LimerickCity

What did jesus say to his apostles when he was being nailed to the cross?

"Don't touch my fawkin easter eggs i'll be back on Monday"

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭RuailleBuaille

My aunty owns a pub down the country so we'll be in the pub, drinking and smoking with gay abandon! :D All the poor oulfellas will have their red noses pushed up against the glass, oh how we shall giggle!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Myth wrote: »
    Holy Diver!
    Been down too long in the midnight sea!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

poukai wrote: »
    If the tourists are only here for the drink, then that doesn't say much for the rest of the city does it? I can think of plenty of things to do in Dublin as a tourist that doesn't involve alcohol and I'm sure most of them can too.

Like what?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Oh yeah its a disgrace for one day!! Its the law so live with it.
    Eh, this is a democracy - we can change the law if we want. Anyway, the only reason it's law is because the church said so, but we're supposed to be a secular republic.
    Id like to see you trying to survive Ramadan in an islamic country. How long is that? 5 weeks of no clubs or pubs being open!
    Ah yes, the old "just be thankful you're not in a Muslim country" argument; you can justify anything the Catholic Church does with that one :rolleyes:.

Actually, I was in Pakistan during Ramadan a couple of years back, near this place. And guess what. I was drinking. During the day :eek:.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭ec18

JC 2K3 wrote: »
    Been down too long in the midnight sea!!!!!

Oh whats becoming of me!!! :D:pac::p

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

poukai wrote: »
    If the tourists are only here for the drink, then that doesn't say much for the rest of the city does it? I can think of plenty of things to do in Dublin as a tourist that doesn't involve alcohol and I'm sure most of them can too.

Most of those other things are also likely to be closed on Good Friday, looks like the Zoo might be open though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Agamemnon

What did jesus say to his apostles when he was being nailed to the cross?

"Don't touch my fawkin easter eggs i'll be back on Monday"
    :)

I'll be stocking up on drink this Thursday and going to a house party Friday. It's a day without pubs, not booze. When I worked in a supermarket, it was funny to see the panic buying of booze before Good Friday. Some people even filled trollies with bottles and cans.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,316 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

rb_ie wrote: »
    Anyone who reeaaaallllyyy can't go one day of the year without a drink should check themselves in to AA tbh.

I think it's more a kinf of "Screw you, who are you to say I can't buy booze" attitude rather than an actual need of alcohol

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Well, I'll be hitting the pub tomorrow. A well deserved pint of Guinness for a long hard week of work (3 days is enough to drive anyone postal!).

Gonna be stocking up on the ol' booze & fags Thursday and holding myself up in my mates flat until this religious stuff blows over............pretty much what I'd do in the event of a nuclear holocaust. It's why I call it "Atomic Friday"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭mise_me_fein

Maybe some people should petition for a change in the law, but even if this went to a vote I think most of the country would leave things as they are for a number of reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Actually Good Friday makes me feel like a teenager again:
    There's nothing to do, nowhere to go, the Gardaì will watch you like a hawk if you're out on the streets after 8pm, and thus you end up drinking if you can get your mits on booze.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

I'll be in Ballybunion cleaning out the mobile home for the start of the season.

Wow, how lucky can one guy get? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Maybe some people should petition for a change in the law, but even if this went to a vote I think most of the country would leave things as they are for a number of reasons.
    Such as?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

I know that a lot of bars in Dublin open at 00.01 am Saturday, but does everywhere close at midnight on Thursday or do they finish their normal opening hours and then not re-open on Friday?

I hope that makes sense and you know what I mean

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

Can ye stop whining…. Previously I would go on about why we can’t drink on Paddy’s day, it’s just one day…. Surely we can live without booze…
    Or go to a house party like me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    I don't see the OP mentioning alcohol. Why have all those on their high horses come in harping about alcohol?

Yep, I didn't see him complaining either. Just a nice, general query :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

orestes wrote: »
    , but does everywhere close at midnight on Thursday or do they finish their normal opening hours and then not re-open on Friday?

ye man, pubs and stuff stop serving at 11pm on thursday (not even full normal last orders) and then dont open till saturday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

Feck, if ye are that bad on the lack of alcohol for Good Friday, then book into a hotel. They will serve alcohol in the residents bar. It's called a legal loophole..... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 ashman007

For any hotel that does that its still illegal. Since 2009 as in the good friday just gone the bars can open to the public but no alchol can be served as in tea/ coffee food etc.

Some people claim that restaurants open can serve alcohol this again is not right. Restaurants that open cant serve alchol by law

Yes it is a stupid law but regardless of any loop hole people talk about there is not one. Alcohol is not to be available anywhere on good friday. Hotels can serve to residents once after 12am on good friday same as some night clubs opening.

Hotels may serve you in your bedroom but is still illegal

• Registered Users Posts: 10,510 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

ashman007 wrote: »
    For any hotel that does that its still illegal. Since 2009 as in the good friday just gone the bars can open to the public but no alchol can be served as in tea/ coffee food etc.

Some people claim that restaurants open can serve alcohol this again is not right. Restaurants that open cant serve alchol by law

Yes it is a stupid law but regardless of any loop hole people talk about there is not one. Alcohol is not to be available anywhere on good friday. Hotels can serve to residents once after 12am on good friday same as some night clubs opening.

Hotels may serve you in your bedroom but is still illegal

It's August... Zombie threads on Good Friday are pointless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

old thread is old

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement