Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

good friday

Options
  • 19-03-2008 1:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭

does anyone know what the storey is with nightclubs and stuff, as far as i know there not open until 12 is that right but does that mean everywhere will be closed at 12 on the thursday? aka nightclubs?? thanks!:cool:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 banderras

yep ,everything closed at 12 and not licenced to open until midniteon friday

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭big_show

no drinking on one day of the year, what ever shall we do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭halfinch

how many people got the day off for it, three out of four people in my house are off work!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

There is some charity gig in the Laughter Lougne on Thursday night that has a late bar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

LoL

It's one day for **** sake.

Try a nice cup of tea.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Dragan wrote: »
    LoL

Try a nice cup of tea.
    Exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

If you reeeeeaaalllyyyy need to buy some booze on good friday, try a Chinese restaurant or takeaway
    ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Dragan wrote: »
    LoL

Try a nice cup of tea.

That wouldn't be the Irish thing to do. :) Panic stations!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I'm working.
    I'll probably just pick up a few cans tomorrow ahead of the day.

Wooooooo. I'm a rocket scientist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Wazdakka wrote: »
    If you reeeeeaaalllyyyy need to buy some booze on good friday, try a Chinese restaurant or takeaway
    ;)
    Anyone who reeaaaallllyyy can't go one day of the year without a drink should check themselves in to AA tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

good friday will be a nice contrast to paddy's day, well in dublin anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭martin84

Apparently theres some party on in Finglas. Might head up to that for a look :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭Dizzyblabla

I'll be in the pub on Good Friday, even if I am paying horribly high prices for alcohol :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

I don't see the OP mentioning alcohol. Why have all those on their high horses come in harping about alcohol?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,714 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

The non drinking on good friday is ridiculous, if u dont want to then dont but there shouldnt be a compulsory ban. All this 'its only one day is bull', were supposed to live in a free country. Regardless of anything else tourists on good friday night wandering around bored is unfair and doesnt help the countrys rep for tourism.

Balmed Out wrote: »
    The non drinking on good friday is ridiculous, if u dont want to then dont but there shouldnt be a compulsory ban.

There's not a ban on drinking, there's a ban on selling of alcohol.
    All this 'its only one day is bull', were supposed to live in a free country.

/drop pants

I thought this was America!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

well when i was in lands foreign towards the end of the year i discovered they the good friday thing for elections.

Guess they had a problem with people showing up to vote drunk :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 poukai

If the tourists are only here for the drink, then that doesn't say much for the rest of the city does it? I can think of plenty of things to do in Dublin as a tourist that doesn't involve alcohol and I'm sure most of them can too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭macbarbie

awe thats crap... i know its just one day but like most ppl are off friday so there gonna want to go out thursday but you cant go to any clubs if everywhere closes at 12, i was goin to go the playhouse in Tallaght coz they have a good old school night on a thursday but im guessin then its not on this week?!!:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Go to one on Sunday instead. You will probably have Monday off aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,714 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

poukai wrote: »
    If the tourists are only here for the drink, then that doesn't say much for the rest of the city does it? I can think of plenty of things to do in Dublin as a tourist that doesn't involve alcohol and I'm sure most of them can too.

There plenty to do anywhere that doesnt involve drink but people who come to Ireland for a weekend come to drink so lets take the finger out not be a complete idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭LimerickCity

I'll be in Ballybunion cleaning out the mobile home for the start of the season.

Getting a nice goodfellas massive on meat pizza for midnight.

Gowanupourdat.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

faceman wrote: »
    good friday will be a nice contrast to paddy's day, well in dublin anyway.

Yep, as opposed to boozing in the pubs/ streets, we'll all be boozing in gafs.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭JethroC

If ya REALLY wanna drink in a pub on good friday...I'd suggest the Oslo bar in Connolly Station. It's open legally between 12-6...you just have to buy a train ticket to gain entrance!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭ec18

Is it acutally illegal to sell alcohol on good friday?.....or is it just a tradition thats observed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭macbarbie

good thinking!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

Theres actually 2 days a year you can't buy alcohol, Good Friday and Christmas Day. In some of the Southern States in America theres no selling of Alcohol every Sunday! :eek: so 2 days a year isn't the end of the world:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

Club 92 is open at 12:01, i think thats one of only clubs that opens.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Club 92 is open at 12:01, i think thats one of only clubs that opens.

A fair few late bars in town started opening at midnight good friday a few years ago.
    poukai wrote: »

I've met tourists around Christmas who were fairly stunned when I told them pubs in Dublin were closed Christmas day and most of them on Stephen's day. Same with good Friday.

It's all a bit daft - a lot of people (me included) end up drinking more on good Friday since they've all stocked up beforehand, than they would if the pubs were actually open. They said Sunday's would be ruined if we abolished holy hour, hasn't made that much of a difference that I can see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

ec18 wrote: »
    Is it acutally illegal to sell alcohol on good friday?.....or is it just a tradition thats observed?
    Its illegal

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement