Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad Reference????

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Pat McGhee wrote: »
    Send them a solicitor's letter, that'll put a smile on their faces!!

Don't advise people to do this on here. Advise them to talk to a solicitor, not to threaten legal action against someone. Clear?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

rohe wrote: »
    no point in doing this as the owner is also giving me a bad reference (i found out the other day through a friend, i got her to ring up)

i have taken them completely of my cv as references and if i am asked in a interview why they are not down as references i will come up with some excuse. all i can do now really is keep applying for jobs and hopefully something will comeup

Not being funny but did you ever consider that perhaps they were not happy with certain aspects of your work hence the poor reference. I have around 40 staff working for me and have let guys go or guys have left and when contacted i do be honest in my assesment of the persons work whilst they worked for me. This sometimes reflects poorly if they had poor performance, reversing the situation i would like to know when hiring if the person is as good as they say they are through the interview process.

Sending a solicitors letter would be pure nonsense!! best just to wipe them off your cv. GL with the job hunting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭reframe

Send them letter stating that you have been actively seeking employment recently. You have applied for many jobs you would like. It has been brought to your attention that they have been gving bad references. Considering the fact that they gave a good written reference, it is causing you pain and suffering when being told the reason for not getting the job is the bad referenence. You do not want to take legal action but in the circumstances you feel you have no other alternative. You have witnesses(be subtle here...hint at this) and if no reply is recieved regarding this matter then you will take action and subpoena the manager to explain her actions in court. All staff who work at this establishment will be subpoenad on your court date...of course all of this can be avoided by the ending of these attempts to sabbotage your career prospects.Give them a deadline to reply. Enjoy.GL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 rainbowchild

AFAIK, it is illegal to give any negative comments in a reference. If a previous employer wanted to give a bad reference they can just give a basic reference like saying X worked here as a XX for XX amount of time and nothing more. The only time they can give a obviously bad answer is if they are asked if you applied for the job again would you be hired. They can say yes or no to this but can't elaborate.

I'm not sure what you can do about the bad reference though. I don't know if you have any legal recourse.

I don't know if this is true or not...

I called NERA and phone representative said, "there is no legislation regarding references"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I don't know if this is true or not...

I called NERA and phone representative said, "there is no legislation regarding references"
    It is one of the urban myths in Ireland that you can't give a bad reference. The truth is you can give a bad reference as long as you can back it up. Hence if someone stole from work, got caught stealing, was convicted in court and fired because of it they can not sue the company for stating this in a reference because they can back it up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭4Xcut

Nody wrote: »
    It is one of the urban myths in Ireland that you can't give a bad reference. The truth is you can give a bad reference as long as you can back it up. Hence if someone stole from work, got caught stealing, was convicted in court and fired because of it they can not sue the company for stating this in a reference because they can back it up.

Pretty much band on afaik, you can say what you like if its provable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Since this thread has already been dug up I'll add another (slightly off-topic) point worth noting.

While an employer has to be careful what they say in a reference there is plenty of scope for off the record references and unofficial checks. When you've been working in a particular field long enough it can tend to become a very small world. Perhaps one of the interviewers might know one of the referees or be recognised enough to get a few honest or off the record comments. Perhaps one of the interviewers knows someone at one of the former companies and can get some information from them.

Advertisement