Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to softmod your Xbox and install XBMC for free

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,201 ✭✭✭ongarite

error code 07

You have either not got IDE connector or power connected properly or you have fried the HDD.
    Does the HDD spin up (put hand on it, can feel it vibrating)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭johnnyboy4711

give me 10mins
    get back to u
    j

now i am getting this!
    and hdd not spinning
    j

now getting error code 09
    rebooted xbox and back to 07 now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

sounds like your hdd might have fried alright,

0 - any - No error (duh)

1 - bootldr - Unknown exactly, something to do with checking the motherboard

2 - bootldr - Eeprom check failed

3 - bootldr - ??/not used

4 - bootldr - Ram check failed

5 - kernel - HDD not locked (retail bioses require the hd to be locked)

6 - kernel - Cannot unlock HDD

7 - kernel - HDD timeout

8 - kernel - No HDD found

9 - kernel - HDD parameters (PIO/DMA/or size {debug}, certain size minimum is required for debug)

10 - kernel - DVD timeout

11 - kernel - No DVD Founnd

12 - kernel - DVD parameters (PIO/DMA)

13 - kernel - Dashboard launch fail (due to missing/bad key, or anything else that would prevent it from running) and the dashboard didn't specify why it failed.

14 - dashboard - Error loading dashboard (dashboard generic error)

15 - - ??/not used

16 - dashboard - Other files to do with dashboard / dashboard settings (specific dashboard error)

17 - - ??/not used

18 - - ??/not used

19 - - ??/not used

20 - kernel - The dashboard was attempted to load and failed; It was a cold boot, and the dashboard didn't specify why it failed, but it (for some reason) needed to be noted that the dvd passed the challenge/response authentication

21 - anywhere - This error says that the machine was booted to display a error, basically someone told the machine to reboot (or launch a xbe) with this flag, and the error code just means its been rebooted by the flag

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

my xbox aint reponding to dvds or games from the soft mod interface but games work fine from the microsoft dashboard. how can i fix this?

what should i do?
    buy a hdd?
    or buy a new machine in gamestop?
    what u reckon?
    if i get a new hdd where i am i going to find the original xbox dashboard?
    Also what do you think would have caused this as i followed the instructions to the letter
    I have adequate computer experience and really got confused over this paragraph.

9) disconnect the ide cable from the Xbox to its hdd and connect the pc ide cable to it (must be connected to the end of the cable).

***IMPORTANT*** - The Xbox hard drive MUST be connected to the primary ide cable at the end otherwise it wont be seen by xboxhdm (cd rom on the secondary ide cable)

any help a bonus!
    j

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    my xbox aint reponding to dvds or games from the soft mod interface but games work fine from the microsoft dashboard. how can i fix this?

This thread is out of contol TBH.
    Whats dashboard are you using as softmod interface? Is auto-run of games enabled?

what should i do?
    buy a hdd?
    or buy a new machine in gamestop?
    what u reckon?
    if i get a new hdd where i am i going to find the original xbox dashboard?
    Also what do you think would have caused this as i followed the instructions to the letter
    I have adequate computer experience and really got confused over this paragraph.

9) disconnect the ide cable from the Xbox to its hdd and connect the pc ide cable to it (must be connected to the end of the cable).

***IMPORTANT*** - The Xbox hard drive MUST be connected to the primary ide cable at the end otherwise it wont be seen by xboxhdm (cd rom on the secondary ide cable)

any help a bonus!
    j

Buy another €20 XBOX. You can't swap in a new HDD into the broken one without having a physical modchip.

What's confusing about this paragraph. Its VERY clear.
    Disconnect the XBOX HDD from the IDE cable leaving XBOX MOLEX in place. Then connect the XBOX HDD to your PC IDE cable/connector. It must be connected to the last IDE connector on the IDE cable, which is the master IDE connector.

Like weeder suggested connect wire from XBOX to PC or ground yourself before hot-swapping.

ongarite wrote: »
    This thread is out of contol TBH.
    Whats dashboard are you using as softmod interface? Is auto-run of games enabled?

was initally using the XBMC dashboard but dvds were not working. switched to evolutionX but now both games and dvds dont work. auto-run is on. i might end up deleting the soft mod but seems such a waste, i spent 30 quid on a guy installing it for me.

• Advertisement

TSOP flashed one of my xboxes and now it wont boot but i think i just need to rebuilt it with slayers

might swap the mobo and psu around so i get a 1.0 crystal and a 1.6b black

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    was initally using the XBMC dashboard but dvds were not working. switched to evolutionX but now both games and dvds dont work. auto-run is on. i might end up deleting the soft mod but seems such a waste, i spent 30 quid on a guy installing it for me.

Absolutely no reason why having a soft-mod or changing dash will prevent games or dvds from running. Is there a yellow play button in the bottom right hand corner beside power in XBMC? This shows that disc has been inserted but is waiting to be started.

Edit: Go to XBMC file manager or FTP into XBOX and delete the contents of E:\CACHE & X,Y,Z partitions also.

but surely I dont want the same thing to happen again.
    i dont want to put good money after bad.
    I have no idea where i went wrong and thats what is annoying me!
    sorry for all the messages but I thought i could crack it today!

Just called gamestop galway and athlone and neither have xboxs for sale so looks like its going in the black wheelie bin at this stage!

Where are you living? Anybody near you to softmod it for you.

anyone in the wesht?
    j

chance bringing back the xbox you screwed and say it wa doa but if there was a non microsoft warranty sticker peel it off and clean off the void marks

what about replacing the ide drive with another one?
    but where to get dashboard?
    thanks
    john

the weird thing is even when i unhook the hdd in the xbox(physicallly not in/or attached to machine) i still get error message 07

I already answered that for you:
    You can't swap in a new HDD into the broken one without having a physical modchip.

You need the eeprom code from your motherboard to install a new HDD. The eeprom is used to pair the motherboard and HDD together and unlock them. By breaking your original HDD, there is no way to get the eeprom code without buying a modchip.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

the weird thing is even when i unhook the hdd in the xbox(physicallly not in/or attached to machine) i still get error message 07

Thats probably cuz you static fried the hard drive, not a kick out of it. Either that or the power and IDE cables are loose. The moment i felt static i stopped what i was doing and started again, i ended up just using the XBOX IDE to grab the hard drive while hotswapping. Cba looking for a wire to ground them tbh. It worked for me with 3 systems already.

Some people have bad luck.

Eh? If you have softmodded by this method you just press the eject button to boot default dash from power off. Whats your video settings in xbmc and unleashx? Are you sure your drive isnt screwy? (i.e. playing cds not dvds)

Thats probably cuz you static fried the hard drive, not a kick out of it. Either that or the power and IDE cables are loose. The moment i felt static i stopped what i was doing and started again, i ended up just using the XBOX IDE to grab the hard drive while hotswapping. Cba looking for a wire to ground them tbh. It worked for me with 3 systems already.

Some people have bad luck.

Eh? If you have softmodded by this method you just press the eject button to boot default dash from power off. Whats your video settings in xbmc and unleashx? Are you sure your drive isnt screwy? (i.e. playing cds not dvds)

drive is perfect, games and cds work fine on microsoft dashboard.dunt know if i can switch back to xbmc.

• Advertisement

ongarite wrote: »
    Absolutely no reason why having a soft-mod or changing dash will prevent games or dvds from running. Is there a yellow play button in the bottom right hand corner beside power in XBMC? This shows that disc has been inserted but is waiting to be started.

Edit: Go to XBMC file manager or FTP into XBOX and delete the contents of E:\CACHE & X,Y,Z partitions also.

no idea what your talkiing about!!:o

FFS!! Your taking the piss now. You mod your XBOX, don't know what FTP is? You used it when you loaded on XBMC or EVOX.
    Do exactly as you quoted above that I wrote earlier. Use Filezilla to FTP into XBOX, browse to E:\ partition and delete the contents of the CACHE folder.
    Then go back to the root directory, go to the X partition and delete the contents of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Lol @ ongarite!

Fair play to you mate for trying to help, understand where you are coming from.
    Seriously guys, if you don't know what ftp, ide, primary master etc means...DO NOT TRY THIS MOD...ITS NOT FOR YOU!!!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Oh your going to love this... I have another problem for ye!

Done the 5th one i had to do there and it doesnt boot into the softmod section, a screen comes up and says that it
    could not load all resources, this is normally caused by no disc space on E: and X:. Try ftping (some address).

Or something to that effect. Any idea what cause this?
    There did seem to be a good bit of music on the xbox so i ftp'd it and took a good load off, only thing is it still aint booting. i was thinking of ftping all the important stuff off one xbox and putting it onto another, two questions

1. will this work?:p

2. What is the important stuff?

Cheers for the help in advance.

no, thanks for helping, ill go and have an explore around tonight or tomorrow. im useless at modding and stuff, its why i paid someone to do it for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭craze7

Go to XBMC file manager or FTP into XBOX and delete the contents of E:\CACHE & X,Y,Z partitions also

Nothing to do with me but just so you know the x,y,z, partitions dont show up under xbmc, u will have to use unleashx to clear thoes!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Thanks for the guide . I had an Xbox gathering dust on the top of a wardrobe and this mod has given it a new lease of life. It's very impressive and the scripts are excellent too.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 robertod

Hi,

Thanks for the guide.

I am able to follow it up to where I try to install Ndure. However, the installation complains that I do not have enough space on the C partition to successfully install.

I picked up this Xbox for €20 from Gamestop yesterday, and it seems to have approx 370MB on C, approx 4.7GB on E and approx 0.8GB each on X, Y, and Z.

Is this not a typical partition setup, and if not how should I go about assigning more space to the C partition?

Thanks!

Hi Robert, I had that happen on one of my boxes that I got from gamestop too.
    The previous owner had a ton of game saves and trance music saved to his hdd, just deleted that stuff and it went through fine next time.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement

Oh your going to love this... I have another problem for ye!

Done the 5th one i had to do there and it doesnt boot into the softmod section, a screen comes up and says that it

Or something to that effect. Any idea what cause this?
    There did seem to be a good bit of music on the xbox so i ftp'd it and took a good load off, only thing is it still aint booting. i was thinking of ftping all the important stuff off one xbox and putting it onto another, two questions

1. will this work?:p

2. What is the important stuff?

Cheers for the help in advance.

Hmm, i wonder if the backup includes all the xtra stuff and is taing up the space?

Can you boot it normally ..ie by the eject button and delete all the old gamesaves and music in there too?
    The softmod though is what boots of e:\dash though I think so thats surely gotta be the place thats short of space?
    I would try copying stuff from one of your other softmodded boxes, but would make backups first.
    If ongarite's blood pressure has returned to near normal levels he might have some suggestions too, maybe PM and ask really nicely :D , he does know his stuff.

Advertisement