Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to softmod your Xbox and install XBMC for free

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Could i make a suggest that you add more to the IDE cable section though, I could not figure it out till Nick_olivera(SP?) post here. My interest in computers only really started in the sata era so i though primary and secondry were the middle and end of the one IDE cable!!:o

Now thats its modified will games from other region than pal work?

I would if I could , seems that boards locks posts once they reach a certain age, I can't change the original guide anymore, needs forum mod rights to do that unfortunately. Hopefully people will read through the thread if they run into problems, think most stuff should have been covered and answered by now.

Regarding NTSC games, I'd guess they do in Unleash X but can't say for sure as I don't have any, sorry.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭encryptix

as i said earlier the restore does not work, even though it should!:(
    I also restored the drive using the backup but then when i rebooted i got a message saying "System Error. Contact Xbox Customer Support !

thanks for the help anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 8,201 ✭✭✭ongarite

I had a dashboard 21 error before with softmod. The issue was not with the files being missing but being capitilsed.
    In my case all the files were like DEFAULT.XBE, FOLDER1, FOLDER2, etc instead of default.xbe, folder1, folder2.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,431 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I gave it one more go last night, making sure everything was spot on. Same error.

Came up against another problem though. The Xbox is now booting up with an error 6 every time.

I take it that means it's locked with a different motherboards password? I have no idea how that could happen seeing as the harddrive wasn't detected by my PC.

Anyone know if it's possible to undo this? I checked other sites, but they all say to put the harddrive back into the original xbox to unlock it. Which is what I am doing and it's not working.

Managed to get someone to send me out a copy of Splinter Cell with a memory card and the necessary saves preloaded. That should be here next week. So it would be nice if I could get this console up and running first :eek:

Its a weird error alright, it can be fixed using this guide:
    http://yoshi.us/forums/showthread.php?t=17443

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

PM sent ongarite

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

One question, wheres me eeprom.bin? Cannot find it on any of the 4 boxes i modded. Funnily enough, all my xboxes from gamestop were the same kernel version, one CD to rule them all!

Now to buy this hard drive. http://www.komplett.ie/k/kl.aspx?bn=10089
    Ha, the 320gig is cheaper than the 250, same HD!!
    hdev1.th.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

Now thats its modified will games from other region than pal work?

Yeas, they should do. Mess around with the video and system settings in unleashx.

You need to run EVOX app or UnleashX to save your eeprom contents to your HDD as eeprom.bin

Edit:
    You need to use a program called ENIGMAH to convert your XBOX to NTSC console. If you use RGB scart cable this will display fine on your TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,431 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

ongarite wrote: »
    Its a weird error alright, it can be fixed using this guide:
    http://yoshi.us/forums/showthread.php?t=17443

Bah, It would seem that error 6 guide doesn't actually work.

http://forums.llamma.com/viewtopic.php?t=34

I still can't figure out why the Xbox won't unlock the drive. It should still have the same key as the mother board as nothing has been done to it.

• Advertisement

2 xboxes modded using the ndure save file for splinter cell, will post a guide if needed

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Does anyone know if any Gamestops in the South East have Xboxs left?

Kilkenny Gamestop have none..

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Maints

Clonmel GameStop had 7 on Tuesday morning.

Carlow had 4.

Paul.

Thanks, any idea of price?

20 euro everywhere mate, gorey and wexford have em too

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 codan

Firstly Longfeild ,
    THank you for a beautifully simple guide, I have just completed soft modding 2 xbox :-)

After 4 hours straight working on why my hot swap wasn't working. I came across the solution I needed & the solution to other peoples problem.

"Why does xbrowser not find the xbox partition"

Solution:
    Back to basic electronics.

Within a eletrical sytem if you want to send signals you must have a common ground.

Therefore when you are doing a softmod you must have the xbox hardrive being powered off the PC PSU.

OK now xbrowser is finding the hardrive but it wont work?? because your hardrives locked!

The paused mp3 trick did not work for me
    I have kernal 5838.

So this is what I did to get the xbox soft modded:

1. xbox hardrive powered off pc PSU.
    2. xbox ide cable connected to xbox hardrive.
    3. disconnect ide cable from xbox dvd-rom
    4. turn on pc & xbox. (service message comes up on the tv screen because the xbox cant find the dvd-rom)

*your xbox hardrive is now unlocked*

5. Do the hot swap & run the bootable cd follow longfields instructions & enjoy.

My setup:

Primary ide = hardive (alone last connector) (hardrive is on master)
    secondary ide = CD-rom (alone & on last connector) (cd-rom is set to cable select , (when set to slave it could not be detected)).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,736 ✭✭✭degsie

6) Copy a music track to the Xbox hard drive and remove the cd and switch off the Xbox

Ok, how do I copy a music track to an unmodded xbox? Does it have to be mp3 or other specific format? Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭johnnyboy4711

having trouble finding it on the given website followed the instructions!
    puzzled
    j

You did download Easybins program linked in the first post and run it? This gives you FTP access to the server to download the required files in the directory Longfield listed.

• Advertisement

Cannot for the life of me get part 9) to work!
    tried all ide cables and nothing works just asks for reboot the whole time!
    section 9 is very hard to follow i think.
    anyone make it a bit clearer???
    thanks
    john

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭mgsrocks

I just gave up and bought a memory card and splinter cell, and did te softmodd that way (my pc had no ide connection).

Anyone know if its possible to install a new hard drive on a softmodded xbox WITHOUT having to connect it up to the pc?

splinter cell and memory card way?!?!?
    i am pulling my flippin hair out!!!
    j

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭mgsrocks

splinter cell and memory card way?!?!?
    i am pulling my flippin hair out!!!
    j

It just another way of softmodding without having to open your xbox. Buy splinter cell (an original one, i got it preowned in game for €1.50) and an xbox memory card (hard to find!!!). You may also need to buy an action replay device but this is not needed as you can make your own with the xbox controller (fun fun fun).

Just look up google, it will explain how to do it, its so simple and much easier then the hotswap method being talked about here, only difference is this way will cost you money.

Anyway, does anyone know how to install a new hd on a softmodded xbox without having to connect the hd to a pc?

tried(fried) my xbox by that hotswap method!
    wouldnt advise it
    no way as easy as described!!!
    Now after putting lid back on xbox i get a black screen with green writing
    Service required call customer support.
    in about 10 different languages
    need help urgently!!!!
    thanks
    in advance
    j:confused::(

i built my memory card :)

tried(fried) my xbox by that hotswap method!
    wouldnt advise it
    no way as easy as described!!!
    Now after putting lid back on xbox i get a black screen with green writing
    Service required call customer support.
    in about 10 different languages
    need help urgently!!!!
    thanks
    in advance
    j:confused::(

I give up, this guide is really really simple if you have some PC knowledge.
    Anyway what the error code on your XBOX in the top left corner?

error code 07

make sure your hdd is connected properly when you open it back up

what i was saying about joining the 2 chassis together via some wire is the same as a common ground point, its also a lot safer that way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Maints

Ok, how do I copy a music track to an unmodded xbox? Does it have to be mp3 or other specific format? Thanks.

Put a regular music CD into the drive, Select Music on the XBOX and you will see the Copy function. Copy one song to the HD. Remove the CD and playback the copied song. Pause the song at any point. Result... an unlocked HD!

Paul.

Advertisement