Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland V England (Live)

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

x keo21 wrote: »
    why did he give o'gara the captaincy , hes got enough pressure as kicker already without that hanging over his head.
    OFF topic but the captaincy should be given to oconnell, even when odriscoll comes back. Oconnel is a consistent performer, agin he was irelands best player today

Cost us 6 points i think not too sure. O'Connel played alright much better then his last game but again i dont think he's 80 minutes worthy. And sure he isnt he vice captain anyway? But it has to be said we have zero leaders on that 22 squad infact the only one in Ireland is Cullen

• Registered Users Posts: 23,760 ✭✭✭✭phog

Another telling factor was at the start when a few england players grabbed ROG and started pushing him. none of his teamates came to help him like we see regularly when BOD is targetted. Clearly the team doesnt have the SAME LEVEL of respect towards ROG that they have towards BOD

This post should win an award because it's the greatest load of rubbish that has been posted in a long time right across all the threads on this forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭x keo21

sorry missed two key phrases

'relatively speaking'

and

'in the long run'

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Redundo

OFF topic but the captaincy should be given to oconnell, even when odriscoll comes back. Oconnel is a consistent performer, agin he was irelands best player today

PoC is not match fit and twice cost Ireland scoring opportunities due to getting isolated in the english 22. I'm not saying he is a bad player, just that he was not ready to be thrown back into the thick of it and definitely not ready to take on the captaincy again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

Redundo wrote: »
    PoC is not match fit and twice cost Ireland scoring opportunities due to getting isolated in the english 22. .

True and speaking of match fitness, Horgan was clearly a step off the pace all afternoon...mind you at least he has an excuse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

I think Wales win makes the pressure on EOS grow even bigger. EOS spent 7 years trying to get a 6N win and GS he failed, Gatland spends only a few months in Wales and has won the GS and Triple Crown.

Redundo wrote: »
    PoC is not match fit and twice cost Ireland scoring opportunities due to getting isolated in the english 22. I'm not saying he is a bad player, just that he was not ready to be thrown back into the thick of it and definitely not ready to take on the captaincy again.

Is POC that fast that he can get away from the other forwards that should be on his shoulder to clear out the ruck? POC did what he does most of the time he takes the ball forward and goes to ground and you'd expect the support players to be with him, hardly his fault when they're not.

Stev_o wrote: »
    I think Wales win makes the pressure on EOS grow even bigger. EOS spent 7 years trying to get a 6N win and GS he failed, Gatland spends only a few months in Wales and has won the GS and Triple Crown.

Don't know about pressure but certainly it's a great year for Gatland a few months with the team and he has the Grand Slam.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Must say Reddan doesn't seem to be able to cut it at this level.
    Thought he was the worst player on the pitch today along with Trimble.
    He made the wrong decision every time and his passing was absolutely awful.
    He took a couple of steps in the direction he was passing every time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭sroberts82

'I wouldn't do anything differently, we took each game on its merit and tried to win them all.

'If I could change results I would but I don't think you could say that we went out and did anything foolish.'

Eddie really doesn't have a clue. If he would go out and play the same way against Wales again then thats proof enough (as if we needed anymore) that he has to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

reddan was poor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Size=everything

phog wrote: »
    This post should win an award because it's the greatest load of rubbish that has been posted in a long time right across all the threads on this forum.

I'm not saying they don't respect him I am saying that he just doesn't possess the amount of respect that a world class player like BOD has hes just not a leader

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

phog wrote: »
    Is POC that fast that he can get away from the other forwards that should be on his shoulder to clear out the ruck? POC did what he does most of the time he takes the ball forward and goes to ground and you'd expect the support players to be with him, hardly his fault when they're not.

In fairness, POC seemed to almost deliberately run away from his support and then went to ground very quickly. It was poor play, though why Ireland persisted on using him in midfield when he has appalling hands is beyond me.

I'm not saying they don't respect him I am saying that he just doesn't possess the amount of respect that a world class player like BOD has hes just not a leader

Are you seriously saying the majority of the 15 players starting today don't have the respect for ROG as they do for BOD?

and you know that because................?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

Stev_o wrote: »
    Hmm i you just said there that he got it twice... now you'v changed your mind.

For a start O'Gara passed 74% of the time for the match, secondly he made one good run off Kearneys ball, he kicked away the ball after his break now common sense to a rugby player would to be hold onto the ball since you are loosing 30-10 why would you want to give the ball back.

Look at Kearney on the wing today and at fullback he came into the line at will in both positions he moved from both wings left and right, Luke stayed but.

Now you might ask then why im not tearing Bowe to piece but the truth is that he's just rubbish and hasnt shown something creative. Fitz if he bloody well sorts out himself can make into a devastating player but regardless of how good he is if he's just going to stand there and wait for the ball to come to him he'll never be regarded as a international class winger

Sorry I don't think you understood what I said, but you also said in you original post he got it once so you also seem to have changed your mind. He got the ball more than twice but on two of the occasions he did get it things happened, once a fine step and offload and another chipped and chased into the english 22 when he would have been put into touch, hardly indicative of a 'lazy' player. You also point to the fact that O'Gara passed 74% of the ball but look at the game and more specifically the 2nd half when Fitzgearld was on. O'Gara fed O'Connell a lot in midfield who was usually isolated, gave the ball to our centres who were incapable of putting the ball through the hands out wide and also O'Gara also threw a number of terrible passes, all when it was pissing rain. We had no setpiece ball either for the winger to come inside. While I agree that Bowe's not the best winger going I actually though he did okay today. Looked lively but just doesn't have the pace for this level

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

Redden was poor as was Best and it gave us another example of what happens when you pick a bench with no real intention of using it. The injuries and bad form were not improved by the introduction of players off the bench because it happened too late in the game.

Shaggy should never play in the centre again and I think Trimble has had and wasted his chance, give him the Tommy Bowe treatment and see if he tries to better himself.

I loved ROG's pre match interview, it's just my opinion but the BSometer seemed lower than when they interview BOD. O'Connell had an ok game but should have been taken off (injury prevented that).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭ironingbored

Ireland were brutal today and all after a very positive first 10 minutes. So much for O'Gara being captain. We also learned today how much worse ireland would be if BOD wasn't around even if he's not running amazing lines and breaking the line at speed. His defence probably prevents a try a game.

We also seriously need a forwards coach that can teach our entire front 8 how to offload in the tackle. I dont think any of our tight 5 have ever offloaded in the tackle. Compare with France and Wales today. BTW, congrats to a great welsh effort.

I still feel we have the foundations for a good squad in the next few years. Kearney, Fitzgerald, Buckley, Healy, Jennings, Heaslip, Reddan (1980), Leamy (1981).

Second row is pretty good.

Horgan, Rog, BOD, Darcy (1980), Murphy, still have maybe 2-3 seasons in them.

until we find a proper openside we will also be limited

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

I still feel we have the foundations for a good squad in the next few years. Kearney, Fitzgerald, Buckley, Healy, Jennings, Heaslip, Reddan (1980), Leamy (1981).

Agree, but one of the major shortcomings of the Irish in this years 6N was the lack of direction and focus in the team. Our gameplans (if thats what you could call 'em )were at best limited and naive often playing directly into the hands of the opposition... thats a managerial issue..players who have spark and verve week in week out for their club/province seem listless/clueless when they pull on an irish shirt...

Look a the example of wales, admittedly flattered by what was a poor six nations and a suicidal French selection policy, but that grand slam was brought home by essentially the same squad who were laughed out of the RWC not 6 months ago..What changed ?A coaching team that gave players self belief,confidence, mental strength and selected on form, ignoring politics and reputation....

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭muincav

bleg wrote: »
    reddan was poor.

When he lifted the ball off the ground he didnt seem to know where or who to pass it- whereas Stringer nearly has the pass away in the blink of an eye...Maybe I am wrong or maybe the Irish players were not in a position which suited Reddan in which case it was up to him to let them know,, but either way I honestly think today he was just part of a team who didnt seem to have any plan or idea for the game and for this and with great regret I have to agree with all those who have been calling for EOS to go...sadly I will miss him but I do think he has come to end of the road in Irish Rugby...

Advertisement