Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How should I feed yorkshire terrier?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭The Artist

I've a 9 week old yorkshire terrier. its my first dog. I'd like to know how exactly I should go about feeding him....as in how many times a day? Do i leave food and water available to him at all times or just when I want him to eat? Theres abit of conflicting info on the net regarding this.

thanks
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yorkshire_Terrier
    Is this any help Four of a kind .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Hi personally i wouldnt feed any type of canned food. it is mostly made up of water so there is no nutrional value in it either for the dog. A good quality dry food from a pet shop would be much better. there are so many out there. royal canin, burns, red mills, belcando, and so on. i wouldnt feed pedigree chum either as it is full of artificial colours and flavours. i feed a food called Kronch by Henne Pet from Denmark, cant be bought in the shops.I get it directly from a supplier up the north and works out quite good. its €45 for a 15kg bag and lasts nearly a month and i have a rottweiler.
    A good quality dry food will have a higher digestible quality so you wouldnt need to feed as much of it. Thats just my personal view of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Four of a kind

on a side note....i've noticed that the little fella constantly has a big of dried poo sticking out from his rear. any suggestions on how to stop this from happening and how to remove it ;p

I've tried to bath him in the hope that the warm water would help the poo fall off the end of him bum. But its stuck very hard onto his rear end and I couldn't seem to break it off. It looks as if it is glued to his anus. He is also trying to bite his bum the past day and is very aware that it is there. I was going to bring him to the vet, but since he's booked for a visit next week to get his booster, I thought would it be ok to leave him untill then?

I've changed his diet today....got pedigree dry food and mixing that with some canned food until i make the full change over to dry. Could the diet he was on up till now have caused this "butt plug"?

I wouldn't think his diet caused it cos I have never seen a constipated dog. You could leave it for the vet but he will be uncomfortable till then. Don a pair of gloves if you dont want to handle it, but you will be able to snip it off with a small sharp scissors. And yes, feel free to PM me anytime.

I have never heard of Kronch. Is it available in the Republic?
    andreac wrote: »
    Hi personally i wouldnt feed any type of canned food. it is mostly made up of water so there is no nutrional value in it either for the dog. A good quality dry food from a pet shop would be much better. there are so many out there. royal canin, burns, red mills, belcando, and so on. i wouldnt feed pedigree chum either as it is full of artificial colours and flavours. i feed a food called Kronch by Henne Pet from Denmark, cant be bought in the shops.I get it directly from a supplier up the north and works out quite good. its €45 for a 15kg bag and lasts nearly a month and i have a rottweiler.
    A good quality dry food will have a higher digestible quality so you wouldnt need to feed as much of it. Thats just my personal view of it.

• Advertisement

No its not only treats. Please, get your facts straight before you say something.
    i buy it for my rottweiler. it comes in a big 15kg bag. a company called paddypaw supplies it. now they are based up the north but are down at the dog shows regularly here and they also deliver. its a very high quality dog food and isnt available in the shops. if you go to their website www.paddypaw.com it has all the food that they have on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I've tried to bath him in the hope that the warm water would help the poo fall off the end of him bum. But its stuck very hard onto his rear end and I couldn't seem to break it off. It looks as if it is glued to his anus. He is also trying to bite his bum the past day and is very aware that it is there. I was going to bring him to the vet, but since he's booked for a visit next week to get his booster, I thought would it be ok to leave him untill then?

I've changed his diet today....got pedigree dry food and mixing that with some canned food until i make the full change over to dry. Could the diet he was on up till now have caused this "butt plug"?

Don't be so squeamish, just get it off !

If however, it doesn't come off and actually is like a plug that isn't just stuck to the outside but goes right through the anus into the inestines, then get the little fella to the vet immediatedly.

Dogs can and do get constipated and it isn't good for them at all ...especially not for a little pup.

No its not only treats. Please, get your facts straight before you say something.
    i buy it for my rottweiler. it comes in a big 15kg bag. a company called paddypaw supplies it. now they are based up the north but are down at the dog shows regularly here and they also deliver. its a very high quality dog food and isnt available in the shops. if you go to their website www.paddypaw.com it has all the food that they have on it.
    im sorry as i havent seen these before and looked it up and couldnt find where it could be got as i only found them as in treats in the link i found.So how am i to know you can get them here in large bags.I didnt say 'you can ONLY get them as treats'
    Please, get your facts straight before you say something
    touchy!
    As for info for paddypaw thankyou for that i preicieate(cant spell this word)that Thanks.

peasant wrote: »
    Don't be so squeamish, just get it off !

If however, it doesn't come off and actually is like a plug that isn't just stuck to the outside but goes right through the anus into the inestines, then get the little fella to the vet immediatedly.

Dogs can and do get constipated and it isn't good for them at all ...especially not for a little pup.

yes brought him to the vet and he was indeed constipated. She ripped it out of him and it must have hurt the wee fella. anyways, he's getting 5mls of parafin oil a day for a couple of days the flush it out of him.

thanks

• Advertisement

yes brought him to the vet and he was indeed constipated. She ripped it out of him and it must have hurt the wee fella. anyways, he's getting 5mls of parafin oil a day for a couple of days the flush it out of him.

thanks

Well done peasant for telling Four of a kind what to do for her dog,Four of a kind must be relieved after the vet helped her dog WELL DONE!

actually DAVEY you did say they were only treats. read your previous post. You're welcome for the advice. Its a good company and they do a salmon oil too which is great for their coats and skin.

actually DAVEY you did say they were only treats. read your previous post. You're welcome for the advice. Its a good company and they do a salmon oil too which is great for their coats and skin.
    it was only the link i posted as i didnt look at the product section of the site i only saw the hompage of it.As for the advice your welcome too.

Glad to read FourofaKinds puppy is sorted out. I have never come across a plugged up doggie before and always assumed it didn't occur. I also looked up PaddyPaws website. Their range looks impressive. I normally buy burns as it seems to be the best in the Vets shop and I give my dogs cod liver oil for their skin, hair and joints. Does anybody use the salmon oil like PaddyPaws use? Is it effective? I know cod liver oil is very effective because when I was out of it for a while my old boxer RIP used to get lame within days and would improve again when I got more.

re constipation:

The usual cause is an overdose of bones, where too much calcium makes the poo go rock-hard.

But any kind of food / stomach upset can cause constipation.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭gollyitsolly

thanks

Thats terrible. I wouldnt like her to be my vet! I have a yorkie and this used to happen when he got wet food or nicked the cats food. I would stand him in the sink with warm water and pour baby oil on his rear end. Wear your marigolds and massage the oil in ,then keep pouring warm wter on it to soften it.Reafing it off would hurt him. He looked so embarassed when I was doing it but he would jump around afterwards!

Thanks for all the advice guys/girls. one more small bit of help needed :cool:

I started him on the pedigree dry puppy nuts yesterday and he does'nt eat them at all? I've softened them with hot water before I feed them to him but still no good. Is there something i'm missing or not doing?

It's better to change food gradually.

Mix some dry food with his usual canned stuff and increase the percentage of dry every day.

(btw ...pedigree dry food is crap ...full of colourants and artificial flavours)

i use the salmon oil on my rottie and its brill his coat and skin is in great shape. really soft and shiny and everyone comments on it.
    Pedigree is crap, i already said it. like peasant said its full of artificial colours and flavours.
    There are much better quality foods in any pet shops. redmills, burns, eukanuba, royal canin, james wellbeloved, belcando.

Maybe he just doesn't like them. My Yorkie was 7 yrs old when she died and she never once ate dry nuts for me. Refused point blank and would even stay hungry rather than eat them. I then used to get her those little mini Caesar trays and thats all she would eat for me. How fussy is that?????
    Thanks for all the advice guys/girls. one more small bit of help needed :cool:

I started him on the pedigree dry puppy nuts yesterday and he does'nt eat them at all? I've softened them with hot water before I feed them to him but still no good. Is there something i'm missing or not doing?

• Advertisement
Advertisement