Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How should I feed yorkshire terrier?

Options
  • 15-03-2008 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭

I've a 9 week old yorkshire terrier. its my first dog. I'd like to know how exactly I should go about feeding him....as in how many times a day? Do i leave food and water available to him at all times or just when I want him to eat? Theres abit of conflicting info on the net regarding this.

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

There should be feeding instructions on most good dog food packages.

I like to overfeed a little when their youngster's, as at that age their growing like a weed.

But other's will say this is the stage when you set disciplines for the dog.

Btw, any photos of the little fella?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Ruby Soho

I disagree there, i would never overfeed a pup. Its better, Imo, to have them a bit on the slim side than anyway over weight, as they will reach their adult weight / height too early and start to pack on fat cells. The aim when feeding youngsters is to feed enough so they reach their adult weight *slowly*. Once the dog has a large amount of fat cells, even if they lose weight later on in life, its very very easy for them to pile on the pounds again. Too many yorkies are allowed to become obese, and that leads to a significant amount of weight related health problems, which I could list... but I don't want to scaremonger too much!! Make sure the pup is on a very high quality dry food suitable for its size and lifestage, follow the guidelines on the back, bearing in mind that these are only guidelines, and not set in stone. Divide the food up into approx 4 meals per day, decreasing the frequency so it will be on two meals per day at approx 4-5 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Four of a kind

Any idea on how I can get him to stop getting too exciting and whining when i'm getting his food ready? he just doesn't stop once he knows food is coming :(

Ignore him- he'll soon get the message. I know it sounds cruel as they are sooooo sweet! I had a toy yorkshire but the german shepherd killed her.

if i ignore him while i prepare his food and he keeps yelping...wouldl'nt that make him think that he just has to keep yelping to get the food?

• Advertisement

No-if you give him the food when he is yelping he sees that as a reward for yelping and will do it every time. Also, you must leave fresh water available to him at all times.

ok thanks

Also it would be better if you prepared the food out of sight before presenting it. Teach him to sit before putting it down and you will have a beautifully mannered doggie. Best of luck and ENJOY him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭The Artist

I've a 9 week old yorkshire terrier. its my first dog. I'd like to know how exactly I should go about feeding him....as in how many times a day? Do i leave food and water available to him at all times or just when I want him to eat? Theres abit of conflicting info on the net regarding this.

thanks
    what food are ye starting your dog?

butchers puppy can food and some pedigree small bite mixer? What would you recommend?

• Advertisement

butchers puppy can food and some pedigree small bite mixer? What would you recommend?
    il recomend pedigree puppy food ,feed puppys three times a day as it should sayon the can.Puppy is not ready for small bite mixer as the stomach needs to devlope.And milk with warm porridge in the mornings as it only a pup.Water is a bit to early.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭SuzyS1972

What was the breeder feeding him and how often - did they not tell you - change of food can very much upset the digestion of a small pup like that !
    Also would recommend a high grade food like Burns Puppy or Rayal Canin Puppy to ensure they are getting the balance of nutrition - canned food is total rubbish - :D

SuzyS1972 wrote: »
    What was the breeder feeding him and how often - did they not tell you - change of food can very much upset the digestion of a small pup like that !
    Also would recommend a high grade food like Burns Puppy or Rayal Canin Puppy to ensure they are getting the balance of nutrition - canned food is total rubbish - :D
    why is canned food rubbish,my dogs are much healthier with pedigree chum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭michelleans

Puppies should be fed 3-4 times a day in small amounts. When he is fully grown I'd cut it to 2 times a day, some say once a day is fine, but I always feed my boy once in the morning and once in the evening, as 24 hours is a long time to wait for food.

I too would recommend keeping him lean, not skinny, but slightly underweight until he is finished growing, though it will only take up to 12 months for such a small breed. You should be able to feel the ribs slightly but not see them. And he should have a waist when viewed from above.

A high quality dry food such as Royal Canin, Science Hills etc would be the best way to go as regards which food. Canned food is ok on occasion but contains alot of fat and is not good for dogs to be fed on each day.

Fresh drinking water should be always available. However, when feeding feed the required amount, and if the dogs eats it fine, if however, he does not eat it all, leave it there for up to 10-15 minutes, then remove what is not eaten. Leaving food out constantly is not a good idea. If the dog loves it's food, it will eat and eat and eat and become overweight. Even if the dog does not do this, he can develop the idea that, as food is always available to him, it is HIS food and he is in control of it, this may lead to aggression, dominance issues, or eating problems later on.

While giving him his food, if he is yelping, simply ignore the behaviour. Teach him to sit, then ask him to do it before getting his food. This way, he will learn that sitting is the appropriate thing to do to get food not yelp. My boy will sit and wait until I release him using the "ok" command before eating. After a while he got so used to it that even when I drop something on the ground edible he looks at me first before going for it. Very useful especially if you drop say a chicken bone on the floor.

Good luck with your new puppy :D

Puppies should be fed 3-4 times a day in small amounts. When he is fully grown I'd cut it to 2 times a day, some say once a day is fine, but I always feed my boy once in the morning and once in the evening, as 24 hours is a long time to wait for food.

I too would recommend keeping him lean, not skinny, but slightly underweight until he is finished growing, though it will only take up to 12 months for such a small breed. You should be able to feel the ribs slightly but not see them. And he should have a waist when viewed from above.

A high quality dry food such as Royal Canin, Science Hills etc would be the best way to go as regards which food. Canned food is ok on occasion but contains alot of fat and is not good for dogs to be fed on each day.

Fresh drinking water should be always available. However, when feeding feed the required amount, and if the dogs eats it fine, if however, he does not eat it all, leave it there for up to 10-15 minutes, then remove what is not eaten. Leaving food out constantly is not a good idea. If the dog loves it's food, it will eat and eat and eat and become overweight. Even if the dog does not do this, he can develop the idea that, as food is always available to him, it is HIS food and he is in control of it, this may lead to aggression, dominance issues, or eating problems later on.

While giving him his food, if he is yelping, simply ignore the behaviour. Teach him to sit, then ask him to do it before getting his food. This way, he will learn that sitting is the appropriate thing to do to get food not yelp. My boy will sit and wait until I release him using the "ok" command before eating. After a while he got so used to it that even when I drop something on the ground edible he looks at me first before going for it. Very useful especially if you drop say a chicken bone on the floor.

Good luck with your new puppy :D
    good edit michelleans
    just one more thing,the worm doses and up to date injections from the vets.

There is canned food and canned food. Read the tin. Pedigree chum is the best of the lot without doubt. Most other brands are made from minced up skin, feathers, etc etc. Total rubbish. And the SMELL when they are opened:eek:
    davey180 wrote: »

There is canned food and canned food. Read the tin. Pedigree chum is the best of the lot without doubt. Most other brands are made from minced up skin, feathers, etc etc. Total rubbish. And the SMELL when they are opened:eek:
    feathers? first ive heard,thanks for saying pc is the best.

http://www.squires-cafe.co.uk/assets/images/pedigree-1.jpg
    the smell is lovelyyyyyy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭stewiegriffin08

How should I feed yorkshire terrier?

With a shotgun :)

With a shotgun :)
    noted;reported

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

noted;reported
    And Banned!

• Advertisement

on a side note....i've noticed that the little fella constantly has a big of dried poo sticking out from his rear. any suggestions on how to stop this from happening and how to remove it ;p

Yes, that is a Yorkie thing alright. Its actually poo thats stuck onto his long bum hair. You need to keep an eye on this regularly and simply get a scissors, the short sharp hairdresser kind, hold him firmly and snip away the long hair carefully. He'll be ever so grateful and stop dragging his bum on the ground!! How are you getting on with him?

Another thing I noticed about poor quality canned food....... last year while I was away on holiday I got a supply of canned food in so my sister could feed my boxer. when I returned the poor fella was licking his legs bald. And it definitely was the canned food that caused it. I had got a variety of flavours of Brand X (not Pedigree Chum). The stuff was revolting.:eek:

Another thing I noticed about poor quality canned food....... last year while I was away on holiday I got a supply of canned food in so my sister could feed my boxer. when I returned the poor fella was licking his legs bald. And it definitely was the canned food that caused it. I had got a variety of flavours of Brand X (not Pedigree Chum). The stuff was revolting.:eek:
    how trying your boxer on dry nut with a little bit of dog food (pc) or a good complete food mix if that helps.

I did. He's on Burns now, with some Pedigree chum can, or spuds/bread/veg etc. I treated his legs with TeaTree oil. He didn't like the taste which stopped the licking and the oil also healed it up.:)
    how trying your boxer on dry nut with a little bit of dog food (pc) or a good complete food mix if that helps.

I did. He's on Burns now, with some Pedigree chum can, or spuds/bread/veg etc. I treated his legs with TeaTree oil. He didn't like the taste which stopped the licking and the oil also healed it up.:)
    thats good.just a question does the teatree oil work as my bulldog has a slight baldness on his left leg from constantly licking it.

Definitely. In fact I keep a bottle of teatree oil specially for my dogs now. And I also give them cod liver oil on their food every morning.
    thats good.just a question does the teatree oil work as my bulldog has a slight baldness on his left leg from constantly licking it.

Yes, that is a Yorkie thing alright. Its actually poo thats stuck onto his long bum hair. You need to keep an eye on this regularly and simply get a scissors, the short sharp hairdresser kind, hold him firmly and snip away the long hair carefully. He'll be ever so grateful and stop dragging his bum on the ground!! How are you getting on with him?

im getting along fine. Its my first pet so it's all new to me. he's 9 weeks old so do you know what I should be doing or not doing with him regarding training?

Well, I presume you are taking out straightaway after eating to do his business, to the same place each time. It soon becomes automatic. I usually teach Sit first. Once he has the hang of that you can move on to the next lesson. Is he wearing a collar? If not put one on and label him. He will get used to it around his neck. Then you can attach a light lead to it and let it trail and he will get used to that. Finally you will be able to hold onto the lead for walks. Basic beginning stuff. And get a Yorkie book from a good bookshop. They are invaluable. Regarding grooming, he needs a lot of it. Check his bum every day. Using a damp cloth clean off the goo that comes out of his inner eyes and sticks on his face. His nails will need carefull trimming. The first few goes are scary but you soon become an old hand at it. And he will love it-my little one used to love being washed and combed etc. Best of luck. Oh yes, ask the vet too about putting flea drops on him, vital.

• Advertisement

great stuff thanks. I mite pm you if I need any more tips/advice if thats ok?

Advertisement